November 2013 Moms

Biting

H has always hated it when we clean her face after a meal. Lately the toothless wonder has been biting us when we clean her face. It doesn't hurt much, but today she even bit her great grandma after her lunch. Is anyone else experiencing this? I tell her no firmly and she laughs. Should I be doing more to discourage this? How do you even do that at this age?

Re: Biting

• Layla bites also. Saying no only causes her to laugh and try again. I don't know what to do either.

• Loading the player...
  • I'm glad to see this is a somewhat common occurrence. I guess I don't need to consult the pediatrician. #:-S
  • My DCP was just telling me this morning she completed an online seminar on bitting over the weekend.

I can't remember everything she said, Bs not doing this (yet) but basically that they do it out of frustration and not being able to express themselves or communicate another way.

I think she said it was best not to punish the child or make them feel bad but to try and help them work through why they are frustrated- but that's not really helpful with a 10-11 month old!

I think her focus was more on toddlers and DC settings between two kids.

I'm thinking saying no is important and then trying to communicate- in some way- would be key if it's out of anger. If it's a fun game/playful maybe then redirection would work?
  • A bites me constantly and not particularly out of frustration. He has 5 teeth right now so I'm sporting some decent bruises. I say no firmly, put him down in a safe place and walk away so he sees that he doesn't get mommy loving for a few moments. A is at a phase where is loves loves loves mommy and wants only mommy so severing that for a few minutes shows cause and effect. It's getting a little better but my 2 year old has started biting as well so I've got a double whammy right now. A gets bit by big brother ( J bites when he gets overly excited so I'm trying to preemptively act by trying to prevent it before he gets to the over excited point.) Also I try to make face cleaning a game.... Maybe that will help give some positive association with face cleaning? Help change the reaction? Could be totally off... Who knows....
  • S is an occasional biter - he usually does it when he is really excited. I tell him no firmly and he always laughs. I'm relieved that the laughing is a normal response! The hard part is not smiling because his laugh is so stinking cute!

He also hates getting his face cleaned. Sometimes it helps if I sing a silly song and get him laughing before I start.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"