June 2014 Moms

Decongestants

are there any that are safe to take while breastfeeding?

Re: Decongestants

• I would not take a decongestant while bf-ing as it can dry you up and lower your supply. Try a nasal spray or sinus rinse. https://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/meds/cold-remedy/
  • Loading the player...
  • AmyG* said:

kellymom covers it pretty well.

but in summary,

for a cold

take ibuprofen for pain, headache, sore throat, swollen nasal passages and inflammation.

Dextromethorphan for cough

guaifiesin for chest and sinus congestion

antihistamines can help with the sniffles a bit,

claritin is safest, zyrtec, allegra and benedryl are also safe, benedryl can help you sleep, but could possible make baby sleepy too

decongestants may impact supply, otherwise most of them are considered safe for baby though. 

Try a dose or two of Afrin nasal decongestant, which works more locally, and seems to have less impact on supply. 

Or do a trial half size dose of a decongestant like Sudafed PE and keep an eye on your supply. 

Avoid the old fashioned Sudafed, with pseudoephedrine because it also have a negative effect on prolatin hormone.

I'm going to go with talk to your doctor on this one.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • AmyG* said:

You should actually talk to your LC about cold meds.  Most doctors, OB or pediatrians don't know what meds are safe in lactation.  Or look it up yourself at Lactmed national database or call infant risk, the experts on drugs in lactation.

Also, at my last LLL meeting, my leader said many OBs and Pediatricians are getting CLC or IBCLC cerifications to add this to their practice.
  • AmyG* said:
    You should actually talk to your LC about cold meds.  Most doctors, OB or pediatrians don't know what meds are safe in lactation.  Or look it up yourself at Lactmed national database or call infant risk, the experts on drugs in lactation.
    Says the regular person who made recommendations.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • mullenem said:

I'm just curious @AmyG*‌ how do you know when random boards post about BF questions?
    I'm really curious about this too...it's just creepy.

^THIS

imageBabyFruit Ticker image
  • Read247Read247 member
    edited October 2014
    jmar2011 said:

@Read247‌ I heart you so hard lb you win for your amazing gif

imageBabyFruit Ticker image
  • And in this thread, you summarized what had already been linked. It's like you do t when read the prior answers, you just assume that your input is needed.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• And in this thread, you summarized what had already been linked. It's like you do t when read the prior answers, you just assume that your input is needed.

Yup. Thought I had pretty much covered it.
  • AmyG* said:

I don't get tags.  but I get many questions about breastfeeding directed at me on many of the bump boards on all sorts of months. 

So I use the search function.  the bump search feature sucks donkey balls and  gets confused because of the * in my name.  So I search breastfeeding and my name across the boards about once a week and sometimes *Gasp*  I will answer questions about breastfeeding across multiple boards. 

You can find that creepy if you'd like. That's up to you.

Why do you specialize only in breast feeding talk when you get your information off of KellyMom website?! Why not speak on everything?... Just kidding, don't do that! But really?! Why just breast feeding?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"