December 2012 Moms

NBR: Anyone heard of doing appointments and delivery at different locations

Not really even sure how to google this- but thought maybe some of you might have found yourself in a similar situation?

Since we had our daughter we have moved, but I kept my job. (I now commute over an hour each way) We are trying for #2 and now I live closer to one hospital / midwife group, but I work closer to another. There are no groups that deliver at both hospitals. It would be really inconvenient for me to have to go to all my appointments closer to home but also terrifying far away to try to deliver at the hospital closer to my work, if I go into labor while I'm at home. 
Has anyone had their midwife / doctor work with another group to accommodate a situation like this? Has anyone done all of their prenatal care with one group and delivered somewhere else? 

What would you do?

Re: NBR: Anyone heard of doing appointments and delivery at different locations

• I was in this situation when I was pregnant with my December 12 baby. I chose a practice that also delivered at the hospital near our house. I just made the earliest morning appointments I could, which was usually around 7:30, and then went to work from there. It wasn't that big a deal, but I also didn't have a job where I had to be there at any specific time. Personally, I wouldn't want to go to my appointments with someone who wouldn't be delivering my baby, but that is just me.
  • We took the other approach from the PP... We opted for the doctor that's 45-60 minutes from our house, and delivered at the farther away hospital. We liked our doctor enough that we used her with #2 also, and both times, got to the hospital with enough time.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Sorry, but I've never heard of delivering with a practice that is different from the one you use for appointments. 

I don't really like our "local" (30 min away) hospital, so I travel to one that's about 50 minutes away. That means that my appointments are also far away (about 45 min.) It's not super-convenient, but it's doable. 
  • At our hospital (big HMO), you get whomever is on staff that day/night doing your deliveries, and the docs rotate that are in the offices associated with the hospital. They had access to all of our computerized records since the docs & nurses & midwives are employees of the HMO. Has it's pluses and minuses, but they always have midwives on staff along with the nurse practioners. There is usually one doc plus another oncall overseeing & who handles any non-routine cases.

I didn't worry with our situation because everything with the pregnancy was normal & even if was not, they had access to all of the records. This would be my only concern with your situation. Would expect whomever is on call at the local hospital to be in your delivery room. That said, you can plan for the hospital by work for the delivery, but be prepared to go to the nearest hospital if it canot wait or if trafffic happens to be a concern. That isn't very unusual, nor is transfering drs during the pregnancy.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"