June 2014 Moms
Options

STMs: 4-12 Month Old Must Haves

Waaaay back we had a thread where the STM+ moms showered us with useful advice on newborn care and gear. It was amazing.

Looking for the same kind of advice for the 4-12 month range. Trying to prep for a teether, an eater, a crawler and a cruiser...and would like to have what I need before I need it!

Re: STMs: 4-12 Month Old Must Haves

• Options
    A takealong high chair, the teething things that you put frozen food in and they suck, jumperoo, and forget all the fancy sippy cups after they learn how to use them get the cheap ziplock ones, and plastic washable bibs.
    BFP #1 April 28, 2009 - miscarriage 5/17/2009
    BFP #2 March 21, 2010 CP 3/28/2010
    BFP # 3 August 1, 2010 baby boy April 7, 2011
    BFP #4 February 9, 2013 missed miscarriage @ 15 weeks on May 1st , 2013.
    fingers crossed BFP #5 10/03/2013 due June 10, 2014. Unplanned C-Section on May 29, 2014. Welcome Grant!
  • Options
    Speaking of jumperoos - how old were your kiddos when they started using them? Is 3 months too young? Stella is constantly kicking her legs and DH will do "squats" with her on the couch or his lap and she LOVES it... 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm a FTM but I've been putting my son in his jumperoo since he had good head control (3 months maybe a little before).  I hold his feet because his legs are too short to reach the bottom and he will move/stretch and he LOVES it.

• Options
    Just bought the jumperoo yesterday and am waiting until this weekend to break it out (at 3 months). Noah is going to love it!
  • Options
    An activity table when LO can pull up to stand. Or, one now if the legs come off. DS is obsessed with ours.
  • Options
    If you have thicker carpeting, I'd pass on the walker. They tend to not move on carpets. T loved his bumbo and J is loving it so far too. With T, I got a Johnny jump up, which he loved, but it tore up my door frame, so this time, I opted for the stand alone jumperoo thing. Yeah, it takes up more space, but it saves my house. With T, I had to go through many teething toys before I found out he liked the vibrating ones the most. He didn't care for stuffed animals or a lovey. J however, loves his soft toys and lovey. I bought all of the Leapfrog toys because of the efucational value, and they really do work. T has learned so so much from the Leapfrog toys and I'm glad I kept them for J. With T we had to buy more outdoor toys because he loved being outside. He did not like being indoors and J is the same way, so I'll probably be doing the same thing with him. Our stroller has many miles on it. We actually had to buy a new one for J because the old one was so worn down.
  • Options

Speaking of jumperoos - how old were your kiddos when they started using them? Is 3 months too young? Stella is constantly kicking her legs and DH will do "squats" with her on the couch or his lap and she LOVES it... 

I put J in his at about 3 months. I put a pillow under his legs so he actually bounces when he kicks.
  • Options

Baby jails...I mean playpens or gates?

We never used our playpen for its purpose. It was almost always used as a sort of "catch all" for things that needed to be put away. Waste of money for us. :( Gates were good. It kept T out from under my feet when I was cooking.
  • Options
    My daughter loved (and still loves!) books. Someone on the Bump recommended this; I bought her one and we took it everywhere. It's a children's book that can't be ripped, is dishwasher safe, colorful, has pages for them to play with, etc. This was the only thing that would keep her entertained at restaurants when she was around 6 months. 
  • Options
    mullenem said:

This is the best teething ring EVER.

I second this teether!! DD loved it! So far we only have a Sofie for DS and he likes it but I'm thinking of ordering this one as well.

• Options
    @aravis121 Those indestructibles books look awesome - thanks for the link!

• Options
    lest12 said:

STUCK IN THE BOX

We have two of the Fischer Price ones. LO loves it and it is the only way to get naps some days, with the vibrations. We ended up with one for each floor of the house because he hated the swing. He also loves to kick his feet up to hit the toys and it really helped him with hand coordination when he had no interest in holding anything. My niece also has one and at 2 years old still uses it occasionally.
    BFP: July 2013 M/C August 5, 2013
    BFP: October 22, 2013 EDD: June 21, 2014
    Baby boy arrived June 23, 2014

BFP: February 2016 EDD: October 17, 2016
  • Options
    @smhorak‌ - thanks! So it feels like it'll be ok once LO is sitting up? (Obv if your neice uses it).

image        image

• Options
    @lest12‌ After looking at a bunch of walkers we chose this one
    https://m.target.com/p/fisher-price-superstar-step-n-play-piano/-/A-13873281
    K LOVES it! She laughed for the first time when i put her in it. I loved that as she grows and can eventually walk the seat removes and she can still use it.
    FTM but I have a friend who has 2 kiddos (10 months and just under 4 years) and they were both playing in/on it the other day.
    MET: 12/31/06 ENGAGED: 5/23/11 MARRIED: 11/11/11 DD DOB: 6/6/14
    image image image
  • Options
    Thanks, guys!

@mease8 - Thank you! I know that probably seems silly to say, but I read an article calling bumbos "babysitters" and it totally made me paranoid that I shouldn't be using things to "babysit" LO.

I think that article was a bit of mom-shaming, now that I think about it!

image        image

• Options
    @lest12 You are human and need time to pee/shower/eat a snack without someone drooling on it. If I didn't put my baby down and "let things baby sit him" then dinner would never get cooked, laundry would never be done and I'd probably have gone insane at week 3.
    BFP: July 2013 M/C August 5, 2013
    BFP: October 22, 2013 EDD: June 21, 2014
    Baby boy arrived June 23, 2014

BFP: February 2016 EDD: October 17, 2016
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"