Natural Birth
Options

Things needed for post partum

My husband and I are seriously considering a home birth. We have an interview with a midwife that comes very highly recommended on Monday. I am 22 weeks now so we would be transferring care. This is coming with a lot more research then I thought. For those who had a home birth what items did you feel you absolutely needed PP? Since I won't be at the hospital for all the normal things I don't want to forget anything! TIA!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Things needed for post partum

• Options
    We are planning an out of hospital birth, too. I'm interested in the responses because I seriously can't think of anything that we would need other than what you would need to bring to the hospital anyways. Diapers, breastfeeding support pillow, nipple cream, a gown/labor clothes you intend to throw away afterwards... Our midwives have all of the medical gear, delivery helpers (birth tub, birth stool, laboring mats, exercise ball, etc)... you may like to have a place set up for them to check the baby out - changing table, bassinet, etc. but really just a blanket on the bed would be fine. 

Am I missing something? I will be checking back to this thread because this is something that never really crossed my mind lol 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I'm a FTM, only 18 weeks, but as others have mentioned, my midwifery practice has an extensive list and a "kit" that you have to purchase for home births. One thing that was requested that I never thought of was a meal for everyone- that is a lot of pressure! These women are delivering my baby and also judging my cooking (kidding, mostly!). 
    *****************siggy/ticker warning*****************************

-Me: anovulatory/ hypothalamic amenorrhea / H: all good
    -IUI  Medicated TI Cycle #1 (Dec): Menopur  + Ovidrel + TI  = BFN
    -Benched for work issues Jan/Feb
    -IUI 1.2: Menopur + Ovidrel = BFN
    -IVF #1- Menopur + Follistim = 12R / 7M / 4F -- first beta-260, second 520. EDD 2/22/15

Welcome Dane 02/09!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. Sounds like I just need to wait and see what the midwife suggests. I had no idea there were kits so that helps.

@runawaylaurel‌ pizza or Chinese all around! Lol that is some pressure I'm all for fast and easy though so I'm sure they wouldn't mind take out
  • Options
    We had a kit to buy (~$50), and besides that I bought depends, pads, plastic shower curtain to lay under sheets on bed, and things like tucks pads, sitz bath, herbs for my bottom. There were a handful of things I needed that I already had, like a stainless steel bowl, cookie sheet, towels, rags, extra sheets, cleaning spray. It really wasn't a big deal getting everything together and ready, and your MW should give you a list (I got mine around 34 weeks). Also, the only thing I have actually used for postpartum care is lavender essential oil - a drop in my peri bottle, and now that my stitches are getting itchy, a drop mixed with coconut oil and dabbed on.

@coffeeismylyfe‌ - I know you can buy those pads at preciousarrows.com. That's where I ordered my kit from and they had them in there.
  • Options
    Everything I wanted was in the birth kit:

-depends (weird, but nice)
    -Peri bottle (I got one for each bathroom)

I made my own softer ice packs by putting half and half alcohol and water in sandwich size zip locks.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Patrick: born at home on January 14, 2014

• Options
    I had a homebirth and all I needed besides what my midwives asked me to get for the birth supplies were pre-prepared comfry pads.

There are recipes online but baisically I made a comfry tea and poured into onto O/N maxi pads and then froze them flattish/sorta curved. I'd sit on them over a chucks pad and the cold felt great (numbing) and the comfrey helped to heal.

But that's not specific to a home birth.

My midwives didn't point me in the direction of a "kit" but the list they gave me of supplies to buy had everything and even some stuff I didn't need.

As far as a peri bottle goes I didn't know where to get one so I just got one of those ketchup squeeze bottles and cut the cap down so the water flowed faster. It was magical.

Also magical was prune juice. I drank four to six ounces every morning for a couple of months. I tried to go without it one day after a couple of weeks and it was not a good idea. So I didn't take any more chances and just kept going with it for a while!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Earth Mama Angel Baby mama bottom balm.

After Ease tincture for after pains.
  • Options
    Thank you for all the advice ladies. We met with the midwife today and have decided that home birth is right for us. We are lucky enough that our midwife provides everything for us in her cost so that we don't have to go shopping for it she just has it already. We are so excited about our birth this time and I appreciate all the suggestions that were given here.
  • Options
    I remembered last night the deciding factor on having a home birth. When I was in the hospital after my second was born I had horrible afterbirth pains. The nurse said the only thing she could give me besides the advil I was on was really strong pain meds that would make me unable to take care of my baby. Right then and there I decided that if I had another baby it would be at home so that I could use my heated rice sock! So, heating pad or the like would be on my must have pp list. And Advil.
    Married to E on June 5, 2010
    Gave birth to baby boy, I, on March 25, 2012
    Gave birth to baby girl, A, on May 20, 2013
    Baby #3 due April 29, 2015

Recovering from mitochondrial dysfunction and Addison's/possibly very severe adrenal burn out using food, medicine, and a large amount of garden therapy.
  • Options
    I know this seems like a little thing, but make sure you have a giant water bottle with a straw. I can't even tell you how many times I filled my 64 oz water bottle up after having my daughter. I was THIRSTY! I liked having the straw because I could just lean over and drink when my hands were full, which was often.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"