September 2012 Moms

Don't forget the UO!

If it's Thursday (or any day at all), I'm sure there are some UOs around here!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Don't forget the UO!

• I am so sick of the "Terrible Two's". I am over the whinning and the tantrums!

imageimage 

• There's a massive flu vaccine debate going on right now on FB. I (gleefully) watched a few moms get their asses to them about not vaccinating their kids for stupid reasons. Of course anti-flu vax deteriorated into anti-vax for some of these idiots, so now I'm reading all kids of stupid about thimerosal; government conspiracies; big pharma; and how if we'd all just wash our hands, eat garlic and onions and visit our chiropractors, we'd be healthy without scientific intervention.  :-O

• Loading the player...
  • Kissty said:
    I am so sick of the "Terrible Two's". I am over the whinning and the tantrums!

You and me both sista and he started at about 18 months. It's for the birds!

Anyone see the video on the Today Show website of the toddler doing the head bob in a shopping cart while his dad filmed? So that was kind of B last week. I had the shopping cart cover on and when he actually crashed I used his jacket to make a pillow. I get its funny and sometimes you don't have time to catch them but I think filming it for 1 minute when the kid clearly almost hit his head several times is a bit much. I'm usually a very easy going parent but to me he needed to pick him up when he realized the kid could no longer hold his head up right.

https://www.today.com/parents/dad-films-sleepy-boy-cart-wonders-if-he-needs-picking-2D80174403?cid=sm_t_main_1_20140925_32278606

• watercolor5watercolor5 member
    edited September 2014
    The fact that so many chiropractors are anti-vaccine, makes me have a hard time trusting my health to them. 

ETA: Not to say they don't help- I'm sure they do.  I just personally have a hard time with anyone who seems at odds with my western medicine doc, because my regular doc has always been able to help what ails me.

DH has wrist tendinitis, and it's way better when he does a lot of fingertip push-ups.  Crazy how simple exercise can relieve so much pain!
  • hmp1 said:
    Running events should not start so damn early. I understand in the summer trying to beat the heat, but a 1 mile family fun run the last weekend in Sept does not need a 6:30am registration/ 7:30am start time.
    That's crazy early! I can see 9am even 8 but not 6:30!

• The fact that so many chiropractors are anti-vaccine, makes me have a hard time trusting my health to them. 

ETA: Not to say they don't help- I'm sure they do.  I just personally have a hard time with anyone who seems at odds with my western medicine doc, because my regular doc has always been able to help what ails me.

DH has wrist tendinitis, and it's way better when he does a lot of fingertip push-ups.  Crazy how simple exercise can relieve so much pain!
    In my experience, this is a mis-attribution to "most" or "many" chiros due to a few vocal (and IMO irresponsible) ones with quacky websites and Facebook pages.  Because my father is a chiro, I know a lot of chiros.  I've never met one who is anti-vax.  (Some are vaccine-cautious, and would recommend the delayed schedule that a lot of us use anyway.)  If I found out my chiro in town was anti-vax, I'd switch.  

Maybe it also depends on your experience with Western medicine and with alternatives.  Honestly, chiropractic has helped me more often than Western medicine has, so I trust it more, and value the low-intervention approach.  
  • hmp1 said:
    I'm not anti flu vax but I'm not going to engage in a conversation if people don't flu vax. I have only had it twice, when pregnant/ the babes were infants. If my boys were not in daycare, not sure if I would give them the flu vaccine. I don't classify the flu vaccine in the same way I do the standard vaccines.
    Agree completely.  If you're not working with high-risk populations (in which case it's not just about your health but about others'), it's really no one's business but your own if you get the flu vaccine.
  • Hyaline said:
    hmp1 said:
    I'm not anti flu vax but I'm not going to engage in a conversation if people don't flu vax. I have only had it twice, when pregnant/ the babes were infants. If my boys were not in daycare, not sure if I would give them the flu vaccine. I don't classify the flu vaccine in the same way I do the standard vaccines.
    Agree completely.  If you're not working with high-risk populations (in which case it's not just about your health but about others'), it's really no one's business but your own if you get the flu vaccine.
    True. I just don't like the fear-mongering that if I get my kids a flu vaccine they are going to either get sick from it or be poisoned from what it contains. I also have a really big problem with people who don't do the standard, recommended vax for other diseases, and that's what this FB debate turned into.

• edited September 2014
    hmp1 said:
    Well said! This is us, too. We will fvax this year because Briar is quite small, but they don't go to daycare and (sadly) we aren't out in the general population a ton, so otherwise we would not.

Also, being over the terrible twos cannot possibly be a UO!

ETA: typo. I can't remember the last time I faxed something 
  • kelbel527kelbel527 member
    edited September 2014
    hmp1 said:
    Running events should not start so damn early. I understand in the summer trying to beat the heat, but a 1 mile family fun run the last weekend in Sept does not need a 6:30am registration/ 7:30am start time.
    That's too early for a family run.  I love early start times when I'm running, but I don't think that's ideal for something that's meant to be a family activity.

We had to wake the boys up early last weekend to watch DH run a 10K at 7:00am.  They were tired, but they didn't have to run either.

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• hmp1 said:
    AGREED! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • I got Sawyer the flu shot because they offered it at her 2 year check up. I haven't done it for the older two. I probably should since they're in school and we have a new baby coming.

Emma Rose - 9.14.05    Beckett - 5.26.07    Sawyer - 9.22.12    Lennon Mae - 9.26.14
  • When you send a text to someone with more than one question, but they only answer one question.

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
  • See also: people who don't respond to text messages

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
  • There are some really amazing large companies.  People feel screwed by "large companies" in general, and I have yet to hear a valid argument.  I can't stand to be friends with people like that.  To me it would kill a friendship just as swiftly as no vaxing.

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • LOL, hardworking people built an amazing brand and company that was salable - they did the best thing for their family IMO so huge props to them.  I am so confused at why people automatically hate companies over a certain size.  Those companies pay a lot of taxes and employ a ton of people.  Why is it so cool to hate big companies these days?
    I suppose the same reason some people, including MIL, hate big schools. She'll make comments about how our town's HS is sooooo big. Yeah, it's big. It also has one of the largest offerings of academic courses, including AP level ones, a top-notch music and theater program, sports and is in a nice area. I'd take big and quality any day over small just for the sake of a more individualized approach.

• UO:  Business owners and/or principals ("CEOs" are who normally get the public thrashing) should make as much money as they need to make doing their job worthwhile, and it should be nobody else's business.  The risks they take, liabilities they assume, hours they work, and a ton of other sacrifices they made doing their job/getting to that job/building that company - are things that nobody except them can understand.  Building a business can eat your life and cause an immeasurable amount of stresses.

• MRoxy0628MRoxy0628 member
    edited September 2014
    hmp1 said:
    MRoxy0628 said:

eta:  I do think it's a bummer that smaller companies keep getting bought out by larger companies. 

But a lot of small business owners' dream is to sell and make a ton of money. Good for them for making their company desirable and being able to retire in the good life early.
    People are so up in arms because Annie's stood for not using GMOs and General Mills does not.  I'm sure everyone here already knew that.  I was saying it's a bummer, because it could change the way they operate. I'm not outraged by it. 
    edited spelling
  • Hyaline said:
    The fact that so many chiropractors are anti-vaccine, makes me have a hard time trusting my health to them. 

In my experience, this is a mis-attribution to "most" or "many" chiros due to a few vocal (and IMO irresponsible) ones with quacky websites and Facebook pages.  Because my father is a chiro, I know a lot of chiros.  I've never met one who is anti-vax.  (Some are vaccine-cautious, and would recommend the delayed schedule that a lot of us use anyway.)  If I found out my chiro in town was anti-vax, I'd switch.  

Maybe it also depends on your experience with Western medicine and with alternatives.  Honestly, chiropractic has helped me more often than Western medicine has, so I trust it more, and value the low-intervention approach.  
    You're right- it's a minority of chiropractors that are anti-vax, but more anti-vax healthcare providers are present in the chiropractic communities than any other sector of healthcare.  I think they absolutely have the right to not support compulsory vaccinations or health practices, but I also know there is a substantial number of chiropractors who are not only anti-vax themselves, but will tell their patients that vaccines are not effective, or emphasize risk over reward. 

I think this minority really hurts the rest of the profession, and I really wish the ACA and ICA would take a stance against anti-vaccination in their policies, but they emphasize autonomy and personal choice over public safety, IMO. 
  • I don't care if other people get flu shots, as long as they're getting MMR, etc.  I think healthcare providers and those working with elderly or babies should get flu shots though.  Everyone in our family gets the flu shot because the benefit is worth the risk to us.  When we were in the military, a live-flu vaccine was compulsory, unless you had a medical issue that made them give you the regular flu shot instead. 
  • My UO for the day?
    I don't mind watching tv shows with Nancy.

I find myself singing the PAW Patrol theme song more often than I'm comfortable admitting, even though it really is a totally stupid show.  Since I won't be around tomorrow, this can double as my FFFC.

Me too! The shows DD likes best are the ones I liked as a kid as well!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"