September 2012 Moms

Tell me about Houston

melody921melody921 member
edited September 2014 in September 2012 Moms
DH and I have an opportunity to get away for a long weekend in early November. He will be wrapping up a business trip and I'll be flying to meet him in a convenient city. We were leaning toward NOLA but are having a hard time figuring out flights that work and won't break the bank. Other options with affordable flights are Chicago, but neither one of us particularly likes to be cold, Cleveland or Houston. I was in Texas once, and it was nowhere near Houston. Is it a place worth visiting? @hmp1, can you weigh in? I feel like I recall you saying you prefer the Fort Worth area. We obviously want to go somewhere good if we're getting away without the kiddos. Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Tell me about Houston

• I should add, both are less than 3 hours drive from Houston if you want to fly to IAH for the cheap flight. I think Austin is only 2 hours.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Loading the player...
  • I was only in Houston for a couple days for a wedding and it was in May, but I did not like it.  It was insanely hot and the traffic was awful.  DH got a job offer there right out of college (when we were engaged)..thank goodness we didn't move there!
    Married Since 09/2006, TTC Since 09/2010 
    DX: Unexplained infertility, DH normal 
    3 Femara cycles - Oct, Nov, Dec 2011, all BFNs 
    IVF #1, ER 2/15 (5R, 4M, 4F), ET 2/18, Beta 2/29 = BFN :( 
    Follistim + IUI on 6/25 = BFN 
    Home Study Finalized 8/14/12! Profile Active - 8/17/12! 
    Officially Matched 8/29/12, Our perfect angel born 9/25/12! 
    Biggest surprise ever, unexpected BFP on 4/12/13! 

Our Angel through Adoption
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Our Little Miracle
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • hmp1 said:
    Houston is at the bottom of the list of cool places to visit in TX. San Antonio, Austin, anywhere around Austin in Hill Country, DFW all better than Houston. Well, El Paso is actually worse than Houston. If you have never been to Austin or San Antonio, go there.
    Haha, OK, thanks. I was in Austin once for a night, so I didn't get to see much. We weren't sure we were going to rent a car though. I'm thinking we need to fly somewhere that we can just land, see what we want to see for two days and fly back.

• hmp1 said:

Houston is at the bottom of the list of cool places to visit in TX. San Antonio, Austin, anywhere around Austin in Hill Country, DFW all better than Houston. Well, El Paso is actually worse than Houston. If you have never been to Austin or San Antonio, go there.

I am from TX and agree with this 100%. Houston would be near the bottom of my list too.
  • I've only been to Houston twice, both for layovers and we ended up staying one night. The airport was awful and overall I wasn't too impressed with the city. But, just my experience!

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

• Houston is awful!  Don't do it!

In early November Chicago shouldn't be horribly cold.  I think I would go there over Houston any day!

tryingtogrowareddenfamily.blogspot.com

lifeofadialysiswife.blogspot.com

• Most places in TX you are going to want/need a car. Austin could be doable without a car for a couple of days.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Man, DH's company is going to open a location in Houston, and DH is on the list to transfer for branch manager. I really hope he doesn't get it now.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • Houston is awful!  Don't do it!

In early November Chicago shouldn't be horribly cold.  I think I would go there over Houston any day!
    This!  If you get here before mid November it should be safe.  We do get Indian Summer a lot at the end of October/first week of November.  Typing that probably just jinxed us and it will snow on Halloween now.

You know you want to do all the shopping and eat all the pizza, steak and potatoes and hot dogs.  And Garrett's popcorn.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I do not agree!!! I LOVE Houston. I live in the burbs and it is wonderful. The traffic is pretty bad but hey it's traffic. You can see a professional football game, baseball game, soccer game and there's also basketball. Concerts galore. The food is amazing! We're close to Galveston and Kemah. The aquarium downtown has great reviews. The museum district, the theater district, there is so much to do. Warning it is freaking HOT and HUMID though.

imageimage 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"