November 2013 Moms
Options

A little random NBR

I've heard that this winter is going to be terrible, like epically bad according to the weather folk - and I'm freaking out a little. This will be my first winter ever living alone, and I have a baby and dog to look out for.

What do you all do in your homes for storm preparedness, especially if you live in the Northeast? I want to be prepared, but not paranoid.

TIA!

Re: A little random NBR

• Options
    JoeLies said:

We got a generator last month, plus we make sure to always have extra food and water in the house once hurricane season starts and try to keep it up through the winter.  Other than that, keep an eye on the oil tank, never let the cars' gas tanks get below 1/4 full, and get our plow contract in place before the first snowfall.  Oh and of course have a couple good shovels and rock salt on hand.

We also need to get a new car this year, but hopefully you can skip that part.

I should get a generator...and learn how to see if I have enough oil...the plow is an issue because my driveway is gravel.

Thankfully my car is only a year old and really good in the snow!
  • Options

Do you have well or city water?

2 years ago we got a storm that left people without power for weeks. We have a kerosene heater now and a camp stove with a full small tank on hand just in case.

I have well water. I have a camp stove, that's a good idea! I lost power here for 4 days with hurricane Sandy, so I know it's a real possibility.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Def invest in a generator. And stock up on the rock salt like cfox mentioned. You can schedule monthly oil deliveries vs the deliveries when the tank gets low to ensure you always have enough. I heard we are getting a bad winter too and cringed. Isn't every winter in New England "bad"? Lol
  • Options

When it starts to storm, fill the bathtub and then keep the bathroom door shut. The shut door is to keep T out. The bathwatet is in case you are without power for any extended time. You can use bottled waster for somethings but once your water heater is empty your toilet water won't fill. Use the bathtub water to refill the toilet once it runs out.

This has literally saved my butt more than once.

Ooh that's smart!

N '13 January Siggy Challenge
    ~*~ Winter Weather Fails ~*~
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm just in complete denial that the winter is going to be as bad as it has been forewarned to be.

I mean, Jeeze. Our weather guy can't get it right the DAY OF for weather. How am I supposed to believe that they can tell me what's going to happen 2 months from now?

I MEAN COME ON.

Normally, I got all worried, T would be like it's all good, and we'd make the best of it...like skiing down our back hard after a major snow storm when the roads were closed. But since I'm alone I'm getting worried a little in advance. Basically, I'm a nutcase.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"