Breastfeeding

Dropping a Pump Not Going Well :(

DD is 9.5 months and I tried dropping to 2 pumps/day from 3. My output is about 2oz less yesterday and today compared to my 3x/day average. I was already pumping deficits. I have 200oz. in the freezer. I've heard that sometimes going from 3 to 2 doesn't change output too much. 

I'm concerned thoug that my supply will be inadequate on the weekends when we nurse since my output has dropped with 2 pumps. I know that when baby is older that typically you can still nurse on the weekends on demand even if pumping less frequently at work.....so I guess I'm not sure if I should go back to pumping 3x/day for a few more weeks or if I will be OK on the weekends. Part of me thinks I better add that 3rd pump back in since my output may start dropping....thoughts?

TTC since April 2011. DH Dx MFI in February 2012. BFP #1: 7.16.12. MMC dx: 8.22.12, D&C 8.28.12, TTC Again November 2012. DH Varicocele repair November 2012; Repeat SA showed "dramatic" improvement February 2013 (awesome!)
BFP #2: 3.26.13, EDC: 12.7.13. Anya born December 9th, 2013!

Re: Dropping a Pump Not Going Well :(

• Yeah that's my thing....I was soooo excited yesterday to not have to pump 3x/day. I thought it was helping my sanity by going to 2 pumps/day. I also wanted to join Weight Watchers at work and felt like I finally could because I had a little more time in my work day. I know that I'm so close to the 1 year point, but I feel like it's telling a marathoner at mile 22 that they are "almost done". I also thought I was making the right choice since I have a 4-day work trip in a month and wanted to not be pumping as frequently.

I'm clearly having a pity party today :(

TTC since April 2011. DH Dx MFI in February 2012. BFP #1: 7.16.12. MMC dx: 8.22.12, D&C 8.28.12, TTC Again November 2012. DH Varicocele repair November 2012; Repeat SA showed "dramatic" improvement February 2013 (awesome!)
  • I did drop to two pumps at 9 months out of necessity, I'd just started a brand new job at a very busy time and I couldn't get a third pump in. My supply definitely decreased, and I started having to pump at night and a couple of times in weekends to make up the deficit. It was highly stressful and I came extremely close to having to supplement with formula. I would reccomend waiting until at least until 11 months before dropping that third pump. I know its horrible and life consuming and time sucking, but at only 4 months out from it, I can tell you, it was worth it. Hang in there!!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I did drop to two pumps at 9 months out of necessity, I'd just started a brand new job at a very busy time and I couldn't get a third pump in. My supply definitely decreased, and I started having to pump at night and a couple of times in weekends to make up the deficit. It was highly stressful and I came extremely close to having to supplement with formula. I would reccomend waiting until at least until 11 months before dropping that third pump. I know its horrible and life consuming and time sucking, but at only 4 months out from it, I can tell you, it was worth it. Hang in there!!
    Your experience is exactly what I was concerned about. I guess I'll add it back in and reassess in a month.

• I just read your response above and I'd say especially with that 4 day work trip, I wouldn't

I did drop to two pumps at 9 months out of necessity, I'd just started a brand new job at a very busy time and I couldn't get a third pump in. My supply definitely decreased, and I started having to pump at night and a couple of times in weekends to make up the deficit. It was highly stressful and I came extremely close to having to supplement with formula. I would reccomend waiting until at least until 11 months before dropping that third pump. I know its horrible and life consuming and time sucking, but at only 4 months out from it, I can tell you, it was worth it. Hang in there!!

Your experience is exactly what I was concerned about. I guess I'll add it back in and reassess in a month.

Sorry :(

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"