September 2012 Moms
Options

Baby proof suggestion

DD is seriously always finding something to get into, despite my best efforts at baby proofing.  Her most recent is a big pain.  She started dragging the kitchen chairs up to the kitchen counter and higher up breakfast bar so she can hop up on them and get things off the counters.  The two options I suppose would be to get rid of the kitchen table and chairs which isn't ideal since we use it daily of course..or to clear the counters off or only have safe things on them.  For the most part, everything is safe, but it's still a pain for her to be getting into everything and I just have so much on the counters right now so they are out of her reach, ha!

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Oh and I am currently half-way through "1-2-3 Magic" so maybe that'll give me some help here too!
Married Since 09/2006, TTC Since 09/2010 
DX: Unexplained infertility, DH normal 
3 Femara cycles - Oct, Nov, Dec 2011, all BFNs 
IVF #1, ER 2/15 (5R, 4M, 4F), ET 2/18, Beta 2/29 = BFN :( 
Follistim + IUI on 6/25 = BFN 
Home Study Finalized 8/14/12! Profile Active - 8/17/12! 
Officially Matched 8/29/12, Our perfect angel born 9/25/12! 
Biggest surprise ever, unexpected BFP on 4/12/13! 

Our Angel through Adoption
 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Our Little Miracle
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Baby proof suggestion

• Options
    I just keep things out of sight. And I would continue with "chairs are for sitting, chairs stay at the table, ask for help first, ask for permission first..." and reward/ praise when she asks first.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    hmm this is a tough one!  We are not proponents of the remove everything baby proof style!  Rather we try to teach DS that we don't touch or don't climb rather than put away the trash cans or move the kitchen chairs.  

Now we did go through a phase where our little monkey and i mean monkey b/c our son is a climber too, wanted to use the kitchen chairs to climb up on the kitchen table and dance.  and our kitchen table is a taller one so it wasn't so fun.  We never removed the chairs but we did watch him like a hawk. And pulled him down as soon as he got up on a chair and stood up.  I then told him no we don't climb on chairs they were for sitting.  This was done repeatedly!  He eventually after maybe a week got the message and we have not  have any problems since.

I know you have two little ones so that might be harder to do.  Can you use gates to "wall" of your kitchen when its just you home? that way she only has access to the area if you or DH are in the room as well..
    my read shelf:
    Sara (smb+jab)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)  

BFP 8/23/11 natural m/c 9/7/11 @ 6w BFP 1/16/2012 C-section 9/16/2012 Health baby boy!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    hmp1 said:
    I just keep things out of sight. And I would continue with "chairs are for sitting, chairs stay at the table, ask for help first, ask for permission first..." and reward/ praise when she asks first.
    This. Also, we got a kitchen helper, and since DD knows she can stand in that, she doesn't try to climb on the stools at the counter.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    smb+jab said:
    hmm this is a tough one!  We are not proponents of the remove everything baby proof style!  Rather we try to teach DS that we don't touch or don't climb rather than put away the trash cans or move the kitchen chairs.  

Now we did go through a phase where our little monkey and i mean monkey b/c our son is a climber too, wanted to use the kitchen chairs to climb up on the kitchen table and dance.  and our kitchen table is a taller one so it wasn't so fun.  We never removed the chairs but we did watch him like a hawk. And pulled him down as soon as he got up on a chair and stood up.  I then told him no we don't climb on chairs they were for sitting.  This was done repeatedly!  He eventually after maybe a week got the message and we have not  have any problems since.

I know you have two little ones so that might be harder to do.  Can you use gates to "wall" of your kitchen when its just you home? that way she only has access to the area if you or DH are in the room as well..
    I know it is tough...sigh
    My kitchen is a pretty open floor plan so I'd have to get several gates and I swear she'll be climbing gates in no time...

Our Little Miracle
  • Options
    Ugg that is tough!  Our is an open floor plan too which is why we don't have gates...  

Do you know what she is reaching for? maybe its just time to move stuff off the counters....

Or does she want to play with something?  I found for a while DS wanted to "cook" with the microwave (he would drag one of his play chairs over there to stand on) but I opened the pots and pans drawers to him and he was happy to use those.  maybe a diversion will work?!?
    my read shelf:
    Sara (smb+jab)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)  

BFP 8/23/11 natural m/c 9/7/11 @ 6w BFP 1/16/2012 C-section 9/16/2012 Health baby boy!
  • Options
    I just put the chairs on the table where they can't be pulled off. Problem solved.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    smb+jab said:
    Ugg that is tough!  Our is an open floor plan too which is why we don't have gates...  

Do you know what she is reaching for? maybe its just time to move stuff off the counters....

Or does she want to play with something?  I found for a while DS wanted to "cook" with the microwave (he would drag one of his play chairs over there to stand on) but I opened the pots and pans drawers to him and he was happy to use those.  maybe a diversion will work?!?
    What does she want to play with? EVERYTHING! lol
    One second she's digging her hands in the junk drawer (they're baby proofed but still opened slightly), the next she's reaching for her toothbrush.  We just have so much on the counters because I have DS' changing table next to one side of the breakfast bar..so..much..stuff...

Our Little Miracle
  • Options
    Sounds like you need to de-clutter a little to eliminate some distractions.

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
  • Options
    I hate to say it, but yeah.  I don't expect DD to stay out of messes and clutter, because she's curious and they're so enticing!  I'd keep the counters clear and keep working on reinforcing "we don't move the chairs, we don't climb on the counter."  You could also consider keeping a small basket of kitchen-only toys or a coloring book--DD has no interest in getting in the cupboards anymore because there are a couple of special toys and her coloring book that she only gets in the kitchen while I'm working in there. Reduce temptation, divert attention, reinforce good behavior.
  • Options
    hmp1 said:
    Sounds like you need to de-clutter a little to eliminate some distractions.
    This will probably help your overall mood too. I find when my house is clutter free, I feel more relaxed. Even if I just toss everything from my counters into a box and put it in the pantry to deal with later, it makes me feel so much better not having it in sight.
    The problem is, everything on my counters are things I use regularly. I am actually a bit OCD so I can't handle clutter. I've had to dial it down a little now with two kids but yea there still are quite a few things on the counter.  By an "average" person's standards, it probably isn't that cluttered. If I put stuff lower, both kids will get to them...if I put them in the closet, I'll constantly be going in the closet (diapers, wipes, cell phone, computer, etc)...

No matter what, I think I have to realize DD is always going to find something to get into.  Every time I put something away or lock something, she finds something else.  Just the age I suppose!

Our Little Miracle
  • Options
    watercolor5watercolor5 member
    edited September 2014
    crene84 said:
    smb+jab said:

I know it is tough...sigh
    My kitchen is a pretty open floor plan so I'd have to get several gates and I swear she'll be climbing gates in no time...
    Didn't read all of the responses... we have an open floorplan house, but still have the kitchen baby-gated off to separate the kids from the dog.  It is doable to gate off an open space by using a play yard that can double as an extra wide gate.  I think we had an 18 foot gap to span, and ended up buying this play yard gate from amazon, which does the trick!

I agree with teaching her to not move furniture/ not reach on countertops without asking mommy or daddy, even if you resort to gating the area off.

ETA: We also gave Sophia one empty lower-level cabinet to play in as she likes.  She can put her toys in there or climb in there and has a blast.  You could also maybe move a play kitchen or play food and brooms in the kitchen so she can mimic you as you work.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"