Cloth Diapering

Rrrrrachel

abby8279abby8279 member
edited September 2014 in Cloth Diapering
What happened to the FL & CD science event of cleaning those nasty diapers?  I was going to add this to the *nasty* thread but I didn't want to bump it again.
Looky loos:

Re: Rrrrrachel

• They're not done yet. Some of them apparently are done and done are just getting started. They haven't posted any final pics but some of the ladies are using them.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • abby8279abby8279 member
    edited September 2014
    I can't find the challenge anywhere on their page.  I could find it yesterday.  Was wondering if they stopped it and took it down?

ETA: Their kids are wearing them.  That's crazy!  I could not imagine any of those would be salvageable.  Not just b/c the stains but they were so torn to.
  • Loading the player...
  • It's an event. Which seems like a weird way to do it but whatever.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • They added these diapers to the challenge. Weak sauce compared to the others.

And yes I didn't realize how torn up those diapers were. "Staining" aside.

• Here ya go. They decided to organize things in a google doc. Still a wip apparently. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ShSX3mHXC-Iue2RRXwS4ZgAWJ03xBtk_mJkK9Ie1dOs/mobilebasic?pli=1
  • Thanks!  Although I do not agree with most of what this group has to say, I am captivated by this challenge.
  • They say "recommended amount" but they mean capful. Which is already way more than the recommended amount usually.
  • I think they unlinked the event from their page but you can still find the challenge by doing a search for it.

Yesterday I felt bad for another eczema mama and suggested a CD-safe detergent, and got smacked on the wrist by an admin. Teehee!
  • I just read a thread (this is my morning on public transit) with yet another mom who stripped according to their directions, washed 4x and still has leaks. She basically got an admin to admit she was stumped.

Anyone have ideas? Can we help her? I'm so tempted to say something but I don't know what.

How is the IJL group going? I was thinking about joining but that would mean giving up my secret identity...
  • Aw, shucks Maple.

The OP says that she stripped because she had just bought a bunch of used diapers and her son had just gotten over a yeast infection. Everything was working fine before the strip. Post strip, diapers are saturated but leaking -- I think the perception is that they are not holding as much. She has MF, bamboo and bamboo cotton. She has a few diapers that she did not strip that are working just fine. So for those particular brands she doesn't think fit is an issue.

My theory is that she didn't need to strip in the first place and something happened during the RLR process that left deposits on her diapers. So while they still seem to be absorbing, they aren't absorbing as much. I don't have the heart to say I don't think she needed to do it to begin with.

The admins are now telling her that her LO is probably just peeing more so she needs to adjust absorbency. It's a COINCIDENCE!

I would be happy to contribute to IJL. Maybe a traveling with diapers piece would be helpful? Other subjects I feel qualified to comment on: hard water, using CD safe detergent as opposed to mainstream, eczema, natural fibers, CD'ing without a sprayer. If other people are already writing these feel free to tap me for proofreading.
  • A lot of people who are having leaks are weakling through the pul, like the entire back of the diaper is wetvs around the legs. To me that is not consistent with repelling (which I would expect around the legs) but damaged pul. 

One persons explanation of why: "I've seen this mentioned a lot. The crud on the diaper surface is causing issues and I bet the weave of the fabric is loosened since you removed so much crap that was stuck in there. Everyone reports it goes back to normal after a few wash-and-dry cycles. I've also heard but have never tried that if you stick it in the dryer for awhile, they work again. Makes sense if it is a loosened-weave-because-you-pulled-the-crud-out issue. Might also be the inserts. Pulling the crud to the surface to clean it off can result in crud on the surface for a few washes, causing repelling. Which causes leaks from the diaper. Deep breath; NO ONE has reported any sort of permanent damage. Run a few extra wash-and-dry cycles tonight if you'd like and see if it fixes them. Worst case scenario, you use up a couple loads worth of water, energy, and time!" 

Fluff love and pseudoscience indeed

IJL is up to about 30 people or so.
  • Interesting theories ... I'm going to suggest that, Maple! Should be harmless. I hope.
  • I read that thread this morning. It frustrated me.

I feel those problems are being brushed off so no one sees what the real issue is. That these admins have no idea what they are doing.
  • Yeah they keep saying no one has reported permanent damage. Basically because they won't let anyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"