Parenting

Not sure where to post....pipeline work?

Morning/Afternoon all!

I was curious if any of you had s/o that worked on the pipeline. My husband is entertaining the idea of trying to get on it but I'm curious how it works with families. do you and the kids go with or just him? if you do go, what are the living arrangements like and what about school for those with school age kidlets? any information would be awesome!

thanks!! :):)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage

Re: Not sure where to post....pipeline work?

• yea I suppose....i've got a few friends that have worked in North Dakota and their wives stayed home here in southeast missouri...but I don't know if I would want too...the problem is I have a 9yr old in school and a 1yr old and wasn't sure how traveling and what not would effect them....
  • My Dh started working in ND almost 2 years ago. Me and our girls stayed in Arkansas, but it is really hard not seeing him for 6 to 10 weeks at a time, so we are now living up here with him. A lot of the families that are up here live in campers and it's not an easy way to live. We got lucky and found a house, but we pay 4000 a month for it. COL is insane here.
    My girls aren't in school yet, but I have heard that schools are pretty good and getting better.
    Where we live is right in the middle of the bad lands and shopping sucks. We have a Cashwise and an Alco and that's it unless you want to drive over an hour away and then you still only have a walmart.
  • Loading the player...
  • If you are looking at ND specifically, I wouldn't uproot my family and just move here (I live on the eastern side, but I know many people who live out west). If this is what your husband wants to do, I would have him move up here and scope things out first. If he falls into the category of an "unskilled" worker, I wouldn't even come up here, the general laborer jobs are pretty much all filled, and the cost of living would drive out anyone that is more than 1 person living in a man camp. 

If he is a "skilled" worker, then he would proably have a really good shot at getting a job, but I would let him get established and find a house first, like MrsLafferty said, it could take quite a while to find a house, and the cost is crazy. The housing costs in Williston is comparable to New York City, it's insane. The schools in bigger towns seem to be pretty good, but if you plan to live in a rural community, they have major staffing issues. Also, crime in the bigger towns is way up because they can't staff law enforcement like they need to, so keep that in mind.  

I know another option, if you aren't well-rooted in the place you are now and want to move, would be to buy/rent on the eastern side of the state or Montana, and then have your spouse drive home on the weekends/days off/whatever their schedule allows. Then they aren't driving 10-20 hours home, more like 4, and then seeing them could be more frequent. Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • thanks everyon! right now it was just talk...he isn't happy in his job now... (factory work :s) and im not really tied here...he is more tied than I am I suppose....but I did do some quick searches on ND and yall are right, the cost of living is crazy especially compared to down here :O

• Dh worked at Whirlpool and when they laid everyone off around 2008 that's when we started talking about moving up here. All of our family is down there, but we just couldn't make a decent living anymore. Moving up here even though we pay a huge amount in rent we are still WAY better off than we could have ever been down there.
    It's hard at first, but I am so happy we did this.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"