Baby Names

Opinions on Girl Short List

My husband and I sat down and crossed off a lot of names from our long list (some I have asked about on here) and I think we have a good short list now. I'm still not sure which is my favorite and have reservations on some, but would love unbiased opinions. My feelings won't be hurt! I like classic but spunky and a little bit different; not too frilly. I also like names people know how to say. 

Last name sounds like Dreams. Big sister is Lydia Reese. Likely middle name is Jane or Lee (both family names).

Cora 

Hattie

Eliza

Camila (possibly nickname Mila or Cami; Pronounced kuh-MEEL-uh)

Nora

DD1 June 2011
DD2 Due January 2015

Re: Opinions on Girl Short List

• Looks good. Nora and Hattie are nms
    But I like camila with the NN mila.
    You will never know how much you mean to me my little jelly Bean.
    Mommy loves you Eevee! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    <a href="http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz270/cpali/?action=view
  • I love love love Eliza Jane.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• Loading the player...
  • Little sister for Lydia Reese:
    None are my style at all but kinda like Camilla. Ok, in this order I guess.

Camila Jane Dreams (possibly nickname Mila or Cami; Pronounced kuh-MEEL-uh)

CoraLee Jane Dreams

Hattie Jane Dreams

Eliza Jane Dreams

Nora Jane Dreams

All these names end in vowels which tend to run into the mn Lee which is the reason I ended up pairing Jane with all of them.

My thought on the nickname Cami, that's a word I use a lot as short for camisole. Also it's supposed to be spelled Camilla unless your Portuguese, and I personally prefer the English pronunciation: kə-MIL-ə.
    Displaying _20140730_065450.JPG Z0EY
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I love Camila and love that you know how to pronounce it properly. Cami is a spunky nn
  • I like Camilla and Nora.
  • saham07 said:

I love Camila and love that you know how to pronounce it properly. Cami is a spunky nn

@saham07‌ How is kuh-MEEL-uh the [only] proper pronunciation?!?
    Displaying _20140730_065450.JPG Z0EY
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Camila gets my vote.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I love Eliza and Cora.  I really do not like Hattie.  
  • Love love Cora! Then Camilla would be my next choice. I'm sorry I really dislike Hattie but that's just my opinion.
  • Thanks for the opinions. I totally get the "Hattie" hate. It's different from my typical style and I don't know why I like it. I don't think we'd end up actually using it because we have too many reservations about it. It's one of those almost guilty pleasure names for me...probably because of Parenthood. 

I have reservations about Camila because of spelling/pronunciation issues. My DH likes the Camila spelling and pronunciation, but I think most of our family and friends would pronounce it incorrectly. And honestly, it's not really my style. It's his pick and I'm trying to like it.

I think Cora and Eliza are my frontrunners. Nora isn't popular in my area (North Florida). It isn't in the top 100 in Florida or Georgia or any of the bordering states. But I still think I might like Cora better. Thanks for the help!
    DD1 June 2011
    DD2 Due January 2015
  • I love them all!!
  • Looks good!
    Anniversary
  • I love Nora!

B.R.C. 5/08-- N.R.C. 5/10--S.R.C. 3/14
  • I would definitely say Cora!  I love the flow of Cora Lee Dreams.  
    As much as I love Camila (in fact my LO is called Cami), I'm not sure I like that first name and last name would have the same sound ("meal").  It feels a bit sing-songy for me but to each her own.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I love Cora Lee! Mainly because my nana's name is Cora and my middle name is Leigh, but really- it flows nice and I regret not naming my daughter that! Eliza would be my number 2 choice. Good luck!

• Cora - I love Cora. I think it is exactly what you want, short, spunky, not super common but still recognizable.

Hattie - I don't like this as a full name and all I can think of is hats...

Eliza - I just don't see this as a pretty name.

Camila - I much prefer the pronunciation of Cah-MILL-uh. I don't love it and I think that it doesn't fit your criteria since people pronounce it differently often.

Nora - I feel exactly the same about Nora as I do about Cora.

TTC #1: February 1, 2014
    BFP #1: 2/21/14 EDD: 10/31/14 MMC: discovered 3/31/14 (blighted ovum) D&C: 4/3/14 at 9w6d

BFP #2:12/18/14 EDD: 8/27/14 Beta #1 (16 DPO): 50 Beta #2 (18 DPO): 54 CP: 12/25/14 at 5w0d

Names | Blog | Chart

Formally LisaG09

"Everybody wants to be happy. Nobody wants to feel pain but you can't have a rainbow without the rain."

• I love Eliza Jane. Hands down my favorite of these choices. Would be even better as Elizabeth nn Eliza, but like Eliza very much on its own, too.

*************Siggy Warning. Loss mentioned.************

Me: 36, DH:37

Married 4/2010, TTC since 7/2011

Dx: Officially Unexplained (I have Polycystic Ovaries diagnosed via ultrasound, but few classic PCOS symptoms, he has mild MF issues. So... not issue free, but nothing so severe as to explain IF)

I also deal with post-surgical Hypothyroidism following Thyroid Cancer in 2009, but under control with Levothyroxine

4 months Clomid (thinned lining) and 10 months Letrozole (every indication that I responded perfectly)

6 failed IUIs in 2013, 3 with trigger

IVF #1 in March 2014

ER 3/21/14, 31R/21F, 12 frosties!

ET 3/26/14, 1 perfect blast transferred: BFN

FET#1 5/28/14, 2 "beautiful" early blasts transferred. BFP!!

Beta #1 (6/11/14) 798; Beta #2 (6/18/14) 7,966.

1st u/s (6/25/14) showed 2 sacs, 1 empty & 1 with a beautiful little bean doing what it needs to do!

EDD 2/14/15, missed miscarriage, DX: Trisomy 21. D&C 8/1/14

FET#2 Transferred 3 embies, 2 looking pretty good, one not so much. BFN.

IVF#2 January 2015, tentative ER 1/23

• I love the flow of Cora Lee and Nora Lee... They are 50/50 for me, I love them both equally ... the other names are just nms
    October TTGP Challenge- Villains
    Samara- The Ring
    *I may not be able to keep this all month
     the ring animated GIF
  • Like Cora, Nora and Eliza. Dislike Hattie...a lot
  • Love your list! All of those would be on our list if not already taken by friends!
  • I like Cora best. 

I don't like Hattie as a standalone name. I do love Hattie as a NN.

Lydia = P&P to me so I would avoid another of the Bennett sister's names (Eliza)

Camila is nice, Mila is a fine NN. Strongly dislike Cami as a NN. Makes me think of camisoles. 

Indifferent on Nora.

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • j&jNY said:
    I love Camila and love that you know how to pronounce it properly. Cami is a spunky nn
    @saham07‌ How is kuh-MEEL-uh the [only] proper pronunciation?!?
    It is a Spanish spelling/pronunciation. Two Ls changes it to a different name and pronunciation. (ie LL is pronounced like a Y in Spanish. )
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • love eliza and cora  Both are good with jane IMO
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Cora was my girl name last time. I ended up with a Wesley instead
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Camila (Mila) then Hattie.
  • Camilia all the way.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • 1. Nora (I'm biased - this is DD's name)

2. Cora

3. Camila (although I prefer either Camille for the MEEL sound, or Cam-MILL-a)

4. Eliza 

5. Hattie (I love this just not as a full name, if this was a nickname it would be above Eliza for sure possibly above Camila)

• I like Cora and Eliza!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"