Breastfeeding

Pumping at 2wks vs 4wks

Hi, First off - I'm Cara. I primarily post in my BMB but I just had my 3rd baby on Saturday 9/20 and for the first time have been able to successfully BF.

I plan to start working full-time in November and I'd like to pump and build a solid stash for her. I EP-ed for DD1 but I hear from the nurses here and from lurking on your board that if I am going to BF for the time I should wait to start pumping.

I've heard a couple different numbers and was wondering if anyone knows or can direct me to proper information of how long to wait and why. My nurse said to wait two weeks. I've read many of you are waiting/have waited till 4-6.

Thanks!

Re: Pumping at 2wks vs 4wks

• My LC said three weeks was ideal.  I had to pump from the get-go because my LO was in the NICU, and I definitely ended up with oversupply, which sounds great to people struggling with supply but comes with its own set of problems.

@Sing2phins‌ Yes, I understand. My first two were preemies so I remember that exact situation with my first DD.
  • Waiting for the 3 week growth spurt makes a lot of sense. I will consider that.

@theresat858‌ Hi! I thought you might be on this board. I was thinking that it would be wise to start offering a bottle at some point in the next month but I wasn't sure when to start or how to balance bottle and breast so she hopefully will be used to both?

Thanks everyone for your input. Trying to keep from feeling overwhelmed with this.
  • Loading the player...
  • I started pumping around 2 weeks with DD (1x in the morning) and making a freezer stash. I started a bottle once a week because DD would eventually be in DC and I wanted her to easily take a bottle. I probably ended up freezing around 25 oz a week - I didn't make it a huge priority. I probably have about 300 oz in the freezer now and DD has no issues with bottles while at DC. 

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"