Cloth Diapering

Gentian Violet

I hear it gets on everything. Is there anything I can do to decrease or prevent ruining things? I'm prepared to sacrifice clothing, but is it also going to get on furniture, counters, or the diapers?

Re: Gentian Violet

• It's for treating thrush, right? I can't imagine it's any worse than any other plant-derived pigment. Maybe experiment with a stain remover pen on a scrap of cloth, and see if that would be a handy thing to carry?

I only have one friend who has used it, years ago, and I don't remember her mentioning anything about it staining. Not to say that it doesn't. The only thing she told me was that the color passed through in her breast milk. And that one time when she was giving her LO a bottle of pumped BM, which was purple because of the gentian violet some total stranger had the nerve to approach her at a Starbucks and say, "you know, breast is best."
  • Lurker chiming in

It will stain anything it comes into contact with, including skin.  The ENT I used to work with used it, although I cannot recall exactly what we used it for.  I used to wear black scrubs on the days I worked with him as I ruined countless scrubs with it. 

****SIGGY WARNING****

Hashimoto's with irregular cycles  DH- 37 Severe oligoasthenoteratozoospermia

TTC since May 2012

HSG- all clear

March 2014 - RE appt. 
    April 2014- Saline sono all's good, terrible SA results - 8 sperm found all abnormal
    May 2014- Fert Urology- Bilateral varicoceles, recommend Donor Sperm
    12/2014-  Surprise natural BFP  EDD 7/31/15 Plan:  Starting foster to adoption, natural cycles

• Loading the player...
  • I've never used it but it's ability to stain is epic and I would take every possible precaution.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's an OTC antiseptic dye.  10 years or so ago, it was a really common treatment for thrush when you went to your pedi's office.  Now I think they tend to use oral meds instead. 

D was "painted' at the pedi's office with it a couple times as a baby, and I used it to treat G once when I thought he had thrush and it was Friday night.  It does get EVERY WHERE.  It takes around 24 hours from when you apply it to when it's gone enough that you don't have to worry about it getting on things near baby.

Since L is so young, you will probably have a better time with it.  Really what causes the mess is them drooling/chewing on things.  So definitely put him in clothes you don't care about getting stained.  Use old receiving blankets and/or waterproof pads under him, and carry a prefold/burp cloth.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• When DD had thrush and I used it, I put some vaseline around her mouth so it wouldn't stain her whole face while she was nursing. When we were doing the nursing sessions where we used it I stripped her down to a diaper and wrapped her in an old towel and also draped one across my lap and went without any top. Once the nursing session was over I wiped off her face as best as I could and tried to let my nipples air dry for a while before sticking disposable nursing pads on them and getting dressed. The first time I showered after application it rinsed off my nipples and left purple streaks down my stomach, and it took probably two weeks for those to be gone completely. It did end up washing out of the towels I used though. DD did end up with some around her mouth but it wore off within a few days. One thing I didn't account for was the purple drool threatening to stain everything! A bib helped a lot with that.
  • Yes, it's for thrush. The LC told me to use it and GSE to see if I can bear it this way. She said the OB I use does not prescribe the right amount of Diflucan (per the Dr. Newman protocol) so to get the right stuff if have to see my general practitioner. Problem is my insurance has changed since I saw her last, so she can't just call in the Rx. I'd have to take both boys with me, and they're both already fighting colds. I am stumped for what to do. Could the pedi call in an Rx for me??

• Probably not. Mine never would. :(
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Ugh. So sorry you are dealing with colds on top of thrush! I would ask if the pedi can call in the Rx. Just explain the situation, hopefully they can help unless their hands are tied, too.
  • Ugh. So sorry you are dealing with colds on top of thrush! I would ask if the pedi can call in the Rx. Just explain the situation, hopefully they can help unless their hands are tied, too.

Thankfully my GP is calling it in. They didn't need my new insurance info since I'm not going in for an appt. so relieved!

• Yay! Hope you get some relief soon.
  • Ok, shoot me now. The GP won't write the prescription afterall bc I haven't been since 2011. Why couldn't they tell me that the first time I called?!!! I'm so upset.

• Ugh! So annoying Jane!! Have you actually talked to your OB?
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Left a message for her.

• Oh I hope your OB can help! Maybe if you mention your LC's concern about the dosage and back it up with good info you can get what you need ...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"