October 2013 Moms
Options

Unstable standing babies in cribs at nap time?

Hi all! We've been doing a modified sleep training for months but periodically have to go back and reinforce when we slack. Now that DS is standing in his crib we are afraid he's going to fall and hit his head or bust his mouth (both of which he has done). so when he stands up we go in to lay him down which throws off our time intervals that we usually go in. How are/have you handled this until they are standing more steadily? Tia!

Re: Unstable standing babies in cribs at nap time?

• Options
    have you tried lowering the crib mattress yet?

• Options
    jennlin said:

have you tried lowering the crib mattress yet?

This was my thought. We had to lower DS's because he was almost climbing out.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think the general thought is that when they start sitting up, that's the time to lower the crib mattress. Also if you have bumpers, you might want to remove them. I hear some kiddos learn to use them to climb out of the crib.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image
  • Options
    Definitely lower the mattress if you haven't. It made me a nervous wreck, so I would lay her down. It took about a week or 2 for her to become proficient on getting back down to sitting. We didn't do much actual training though so I don't know how it'd affect interval checks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    wedding06 said:

Even with our mattress lowered DS stands and on occasion he falls. He also learned that the mattress is bouncy so he will bounce, sometimes banging his mouth on the side. It's not fun. We aren't sleep training but on the times that he won't go to sleep and is standing I just leave him standing. He just gets pissed if I do that.

This is where we're at pretty much. We've lowered the crib to the middle level and no bumpers so he can't fall out. It's the falling and hitting head inside the crib and bouncing and hitting his mouth on the rail that I'm worried about. He knows how to sit down but stands and cries if he's fighting his nap and then we go in to lay him down again so he doesn't hurt himself...
  • Options
    I don't leave the room until he's asleep.
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options

wedding06 said:

Even with our mattress lowered DS stands and on occasion he falls. He also learned that the mattress is bouncy so he will bounce, sometimes banging his mouth on the side. It's not fun. We aren't sleep training but on the times that he won't go to sleep and is standing I just leave him standing. He just gets pissed if I do that.

This is where we're at pretty much. We've lowered the crib to the middle level and no bumpers so he can't fall out. It's the falling and hitting head inside the crib and bouncing and hitting his mouth on the rail that I'm worried about. He knows how to sit down but stands and cries if he's fighting his nap and then we go in to lay him down again so he doesn't hurt himself...
    Why not lower it all the way? It would help not hitting his mouth on the rail. Has he hit himself falling a lot?
    If i lower it more I'm not sure I could lay him down without waking him up, the times at night when he falls asleep during his bottle. But maybe it's worth a try. He's bonked his head a couple times and the same with his chin. The last time though he bit something and bled a little. And I'm a worrier. :)
  • Options
    ^^Thank you for the suggestion!
  • Options

wedding06 said:
    If I did this he would never go to sleep but maybe that would work for OP's. Our DS needs to wind down alone. If we are there he won't calm.
    Yeah, IDK. I was just throwing it out there since it didn't seem like OP was getting a lot of suggestions related to her CIO (?Just guessing based on the intervals comment) method.

OP, I had to give up on being able to put him down asleep a while ago. :( But the good news is that now I can just kind of flop him down in there, and he rolls over and falls asleep.
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you all. I think maybe well try to lower the mattress all the way and leave him in there longer, back to our intervals. It is a CIO but we go in at 5 and then 7 min intervals or if he is really having a meltdown we go in sooner.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"