August 2014 Moms
Options

VBAC

SoSayWeAllSoSayWeAll member
edited September 2014 in August 2014 Moms
Are any moms who had c-section this time thinking about whether you would go for a VBAC next time? I think this would be a really hard decision for me. I am a FTM who had a planned c-section due to breech presentation and it went really well. DS was 9 lbs 5 oz and has a head circumference in the 97th percentile. I am really considering RCS for any future LOs, but will discuss the risks/benefits with my OB when the time comes.
Edit to add: I know I am kind of crazy for even thinking about this right now, but I always like to think about the future.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: VBAC

• Options
    I tried for a VBAC this time. The doc let me go 40+4 but there was no action so I ended up with a RCS. Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • Options
    I'm considering it for the next baby. My hospital currently doesn't do them, but they are working to get that fixed. My recovery from my c/s has not been bad at all (emergency c/s due to fever and high fetal heartrate) I'm hoping that by the time I'm ready for another, a VBAC will be an option.
    TTC Since July 2013
    BFP #1 8/8/13, EDD 4/16/14
    MMC discovered on 9/18/13 @ 10w, baby measuring 9w. D&C on 9/26/13

BFP #2 12/7/13
    , EDD 8/12/13. It's a girl!
    Caroline Marie born 8/20/14. 8lbs 11oz, 21 inches and perfect!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a c/ with DD in 2011 for the same reason you did. I opted for a VBAC this time around and it was a great experience. I will say DD was 6.7 and if DS had been measuring much bigger I probably would have gone with an RCS. He was 6.1 born at 39 weeks 6 days! Whatever you decide and like you said you have lots of time!
  • Options
    I had an unplanned/emergency c section. I'm a ftm and we only want one more max. I will another c section and probably get my tubes tied at the same time. No desire for a vbac.
  • Options
    I was hoping for a VBAC this time but my OB's office didn't want me to try past 40w (they normally schedule RCS for 39 weeks).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I would love a VBAC but unless we have a smaller baby, doc feels it's not likely. We had unplanned cs but not emergency due to failure to progress. LO was wedged by his large noggin in my pelvis. I'd love not to have cs recovery next time but who knows?
  • Options
    I had an emergency C with DS and a VBAC with this LO

• Options
    I would. I had two vaginal deliveries first and a c/s with my third. But I don't know if that's ever going to be a possibility because I started to abrupt. It's something I'll talk about with my ob at my 6 week follow up.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options
    I also had an emergency c-section and am a FTM. I was just thinking about this the other day and plan to talk to my OB about it at my 6 week PP appointment. I honestly don't know enough either way to make a decision, but I have plenty of time to figure that out ;)
    BabyFetus Ticker

Our first.. Baby BOY! EDD 8/20/14 :) 
  • Options
    I have actually been thinking a lot about this lately. I am a FTM and have no desire to put myself or my baby at the risk of trying a VBAC. My mom was over 9lbs, my brother and I were big babies and my DS turned out to be 9lb 7oz and we had a CS because his heartrate would drop anytime I stood up and went l pee (like from 151 down to 91). RCS all the way next time
  • Options
    I had a c/s because of breech presentation. I was initially sad about it as a FTM & PAIF/IVFer - just how unconventional every part of this has been, from inception & then through delivery too... But every time I hold LO close & he looks up at me like he truly loves me, it all melts away. If we're lucky enough to go again, I'll choose the safest route to have that LO in my arms again - so I suppose that's RCS. :-) Compared to those little looks & smiles and everything else about LOs, who cares about feeling the natural pain & resolve of L&D? As far as I'm concerned, my suffrage lasted the entire IF process & my euphoric relief most certainly came the moment I realized that what I once thought impossible had finally arrived. :-)
    TTC #1 since August 2011 w/ unexplained IF
    09/12-11/13: 3 TIs, 3 IUIs, ICSI/PGS IVF & 2 FETs
    08/14: Our little miracle has FINALLY arrived - 3 years after we started trying!
  • Options
    I had a csection after a long labor with dd and many hours of pushing. This time I planned on a vbac, but developed pre-e at 37+4 and had an RCS. Even with the pre-e and having to be put on magnesium, it was much better not going through labor before surgery (of course!) I remember more and was able to be awake and with lo more. He also was able to stay with me in the or, and that wasn't the case with dd. I would still try for a vbac if we have #3 because recovering from a csection with another little one is very challenging.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm also a FTM and had a planned c-section due to breech presentation. I absolutely hated everything about recovery and was looking forward to trying for a VBAC next time (for which doc said I'd be a great candidate), but now I'm concerned by some of the comments here. What are the risks involved with VBACs?
    I'm being featured in a new pregnancy/motherhood blog during the month of October, so if you ever wanted to know more about my pregnancy, birth, and motherhood experiences than anyone ever should, check out my posts in the link below! :)

• Options
    I had an emergency c section with DS as due to undiagnosed breech. I also just had a successful VBAC with DD 18 months and 4 days apart. My recovery for my C/S was very good, however, I wasn't looking forward to being laid up on the sofa. I didn't think it would be fair to DS that he couldn't be picked up by me, or constantly worried about where he would land on me if he accidentally got on top of a new scar. So I chose to attempt a VBAC.

As scary as the vaginal delivery became (because I knew what to expect with a c/s)' it really was the best thing I could have done. Recovery was so much faster and I was able to move around and get back to my regular lifestyle. Something to consider... 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @jenniferurs‌ the main risk is uterine rupture which is quite low (0.2-1.5% according to the American Pregnancy Association)
  • Options
    Rosebean said:
    I had an emergency c section with DS as due to undiagnosed breech. I also just had a successful VBAC with DD 18 months and 4 days apart. My recovery for my C/S was very good, however, I wasn't looking forward to being laid up on the sofa. I didn't think it would be fair to DS that he couldn't be picked up by me, or constantly worried about where he would land on me if he accidentally got on top of a new scar. So I chose to attempt a VBAC.

As scary as the vaginal delivery became (because I knew what to expect with a c/s)' it really was the best thing I could have done. Recovery was so much faster and I was able to move around and get back to my regular lifestyle. Something to consider... 
    @rosebean Do you mind me asking how much your LOs weighed? That is kind of what I am the most worried about. My recovery was really good from the c/s and I am worried about having bad tearing from a vaginal delivery.
  • Options
    trawas01 said:
    I had a unplanned c section after 52 hours of labor. We'll shoot for a VBAC next time around. ended up with the section due to really poor positioning where LO got stuck up on my pelvis. Everything else progressed just fine. We'd like 3-4 kids and the risks are lower with a VBAC then 4 c sections…
    @trawas01- sounds so, so familiar. LO was stuck in my pelvis. After laboring all day for 2 days, I was wiped out.  I'd really like 3 kids and would prefer not to have a c-section again. I do know one woman who is now in her 50s that had 4 c-sections and was fine- so it is possible. Still, let's hope for VBACs!
  • Options
    @sosayweall sorry for the delayed reply. My son came first and was born at 7 lbs 10oz. My VBAC DD was born at 6 lbs 3 oz. She was surprisingly smaller than him, but both kids came about 15- 10 days (respectively) early.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"