February 2015 Moms
Options

Allergy/cold remedies?

My allergies have gotten the best if me and I'm trying to be very careful about taking any medication. I've tried steam, saline solution, and good old fashion rest but I just seem to be getting stuffier and it feels like it's trying to move into my chest. I called my dr Friday to see what meds I can take and the person I talked to included way more than I thought were safe based on my research. I already had a little scare with my ultrasound and now that I know all is well, I'm feeling extra protective. Anyone have any suggestions that may have worked for you? It would be lovely to breathe through my nose again!!!

Answers

• Options
    My OB said claratin was fine just not claratin D. I had a cold a few weeks ago and took that.
    Baby Nolan  is on his way! EDD 2/22/15 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I would go by what your doc okayed but I take Zyrtec everyday and sudafed (plain) for the congestion. Although mine was also a cold so once the sudafed wore off my symptoms were back.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Regular Claritin and sudafed here too. I'm on my second cold in three weeks. Boo!
     image image image
    TTC since 3/2011 Adenomyosis, LPD, hypothyroidism. 
    BFP on 7/20/12 after 4 cycles Clomid + IUI 
    2 large subchorionic hematomas & no heartbeat at 7w6d   
    D&E 8/18/12 Sonohysterography found septum and necrotic tissue.   
    Hysteroscopy to remove both 10/5
    IUI #5-7 50mg Clomid + trigger = BFN  
    IUI #8 Femara + Bravelle + HCG + Progesterone = BFP 3/27/13
    Beta 1 (13dpo) = 169  Beta 2 (17dpo) = 1073  No heartbeat at 9w3d. 
    D & C 5/10/13  Triploidy 69 (paternal inherited)
    IVF #1 with ICSI and PGS 11R 8M 5F 2 biopsied/frozen
    PGS results = 1 with trisomy 13 & 1 good embryo for FET 
    FET #1 EV, estrace, nitro patches.  Cancelled due to thin lining
    FET #1.2 oral estrace, f'ing nitro patches and no delestrogen.  Transfer 12/31. BFN
    PAIF/SAIF welcome
    Surprise BFP on 6/13/14  Our only unmedicated bfp ever.
    Beta #1 339  Beta #2 649 44 hour doubling time
  • Options
    I had the worst cold for a month! Slightly still here but I take Zyrtec, it has helped so much
  • Options
    Started taking Sudafed yesterday and I do notice a little improvement! I also bought some of those nasal strips that are supposed to stop you from snoring to try to keep my passages more open while I sleep. Between those and sleeping next to a humidifier I'm able to breathe at least a little bit (which is waaaaay better than yesterday)!

Thanks for the suggestions and for making me feel more comfortable with taking sudafed!!
  • Options
    ambz06060 said:
    I would go by what your doc okayed but I take Zyrtec everyday and sudafed (plain) for the congestion. Although mine was also a cold so once the sudafed wore off my symptoms were back.
    This. Plain Sudafed and Zyrtec.

Also ok'd Robitussin for coughs, but I haven't taken that.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Charlie - 12/11/2011 * Surprise! #2 - EDD 2/17/2015

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I've been sick with a chest cold for over a week. My doctor said I was ok to take Tylenol Cold/ Sinus and Robitussin. I went to urgent care yesterday and the doctor there said that I would be better off taking hydrocodone and cough syrup than anything. Nothing seems to work anyways, but at least I know that those are safe to take. Hope you feel better!

____________________________________________________________                                           

TTC 10+ | Stage 4 Endometriosis

3 Laparscopy's

BFP - 06.15.2014

EDD - 02.16.2015

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Amymfred said:

Check with your Doc first because it depends on how far along you are, but essential oils are awesome. I get sinus infections al the time and cant take my Rx. I used some mint oil and it didnt 100% go away, but I felt a lot better. I am not an oil user,but my cousin had some in her purse LOL.

I am an oil user too. I used cypress oil, rc and theives. My cold was gone in 48hrs. Cypress was a really good decongestant.
  • Options
    I have bad allergies, I'm on Zyrtec. When it's really bad I just take Benedryl which will usually knock me out for about 4 hours and when I wake up the stuffy/runny nose is usually a bit better.  When I have a cold (luckily haven't had anything yet) I do nettle/echinacea/raspberry leave tea with organic wildflower honey...and vapor rub on my chest.  It also helps to melt a glob of vapor rub in a bowl filled with just boiled water, towel over my head and inhale deeply. It will clear the sinuses right out.  Generally taking my allergy pills daily keeps my allergy problems at bay. Every now and then I get a day or two where they act up and I end up just spending it in bed taking benedryl cause I'm pretty much useless in the sneezy state that I'm in...might as well sleep it off.  
    Me = 34  DH = 37  DD = 15  DS = 13  Married since 6/21/13 
     Third pregnancy for me, first child for DH. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @hikerlady‌ you can use it topically or diffuse it. You can put it on a cotton ball as well. I put cypress over my sinuses and on my neck. I also did the same with rc and also put it on a cotton ball an inhaled it. I put theives on my wrist. Theives is the one they helps your immune system. The cypress is a decongestant and rc helps with the respiratory system. Rc is my newest oil so I am still learning about that one.
  • Options
    PaleomamaPaleomama member
    edited September 2014
    @unconventionalatbest‌ there is a lot of conflicting info out there. I use it with moderation and usually topically. I went to babies and bellies seminar that was led by a midwife and chiropractor. They gave 3 oils to not use durning pregnancy these were jasmine, fennel and clary sage because of its affect on hormones. But there is also a long list to use sparingly. Cinnamon bark which is in theives and cypress is on that list but is feel comfortable enough using it. They tell pregnant women not to do so many thing because of just in case. I use peppermint now but won't towards the end because it can make baby turn and it also can dry up your milk supply. I would use theives as a gargle and it is not working topically and I am feeling bad I would use it internal too, but that is just me. @hikerlady‌ I hope you feel better. I am almost out of theives it is coming on my order this week. Can't go into this cold and flu season empty handed ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"