September 2014 Moms

pumping with cracked nipples

baby girl and I have had a challenging start with breast feeding. Our pediatrician is having us supliment with formula in addition to anything I am able to get from pumping until my milk comes in and we can work out the latching issues with a lactation consultant, which is just fine. Since we'd been having such a hard time adjusting to each other, one of my nipples has become cracked and has bled. I pumped for the first time today and was able to produce a little colostrum for her on one side after 20 mins, however, on the other side, the filange just gathered blood.

Obviously I want to keep pumping each side consistently to encourage my milk supply, but I feel like I shouldn't pump if I'm still bleeding. Should I just give that nipple a rest and let it heal, or just pump and toss that side? (It wasn't painful, just bloody). Anyone with a similar experience?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: pumping with cracked nipples

• I had bleeding nips the first week. I didn't pump but BF through it and I assume the advice would be similar. My LC said that swallowing the blood wouldn't harm baby at all. She had me buy polysporin which healed them miraculously and take a probiotic to prevent yeast infection
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

S14 August Siggy Challenge.....ALL OF THE ALCOHOLS

• Oh man. Been there. It is awful. This time around I was given a prescription cream that they actually mixed up at the pharmacy. What a difference! They call it "Triple Goop" here. Maybe ask your LC about it or your physician. Keep pumping, but know that if you need to go to formula to let yourself heal, you're not a bad mom!
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the feedback! Like I said, the couple minutes I pumped on that side, it wasn't painful at all, but I was surprised by the blood. I don't want to give my daughter a syringe of bloody colostrum, and I'm fine with tossing whatever is gathered on that side. But would continuing to pump prevent healing on that side?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • With DD1 my LC recommended pumping through the bleeding and to actually use that milk. You don't want to stop pumping that side because you don't want to kill your supply. Try airing out your nipples for at least 15 minutes after each session and express a but if milk onto them.
  • Jenner37 said:
    With DD1 my LC recommended pumping through the bleeding and to actually use that milk. You don't want to stop pumping that side because you don't want to kill your supply. Try airing out your nipples for at least 15 minutes after each session and express a but if milk onto them.
    This.  Don't stop pumping that side.  Put some lanolin on before you pump.  Express some milk when you're done, rub it on the nipples and let air dry.  I was just prescribed Newman's all purpose nipple cream and it is working well.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"