Postpartum Depression

Anyone not do too well when you stopped breastfeeding?

I was trying to figure out why I have been regressing a little these last couple of days. It just dawned on me that breastfeeding can effect my mood. I'm hoping it doesn't get worse from here. I'm just really down, feeling blah and almost in a fog again.
What do you think? I had been doing it less and less for weeks since my little guy was preferring bottles and then he stopped completely two days ago.

Re: Anyone not do too well when you stopped breastfeeding?

• Breastfeeding can definitely affect mood. If you're on anti-depressants, your meds may need adjusted once you stop breastfeeding. You might talk to your doctor about it.
    Son: Jackson, 11/02/06, stillborn due to PPROM and IUGR. Over the next ten years we had 9 miscarriages from 8-14 weeks. On May 18, 2016 my daughter, Ridley, was born. We're OADNBC.
  • deanna1313deanna1313 member
    edited September 2014
    I'm not on anything, but thanks for responding. I just feel like I'm regressing a bit. Hoping it starts to get better soon.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm feeling exactly the same right now. I've been slowly weaning LO and it's now been two days since I've BF. I've been dealing with some other stressors this month but this morning I felt so low that I went to see my family doctor. Apparently the change in hormones in your body when you wean can trigger PPD symptoms. Because of my other stressors she wants me to try counselling and a support group before going the medication route.
  • I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this.  People talk about PPD after childbirth so much, PPD after weaning seems to be glossed over a lot.  My LO is EBF but as we're introducing solids, I'm nervous how I'll respond to the natural weaning process.  I really do hope you feel better soon.  Hang in there.
  • Thank you! @flcl my PPD has been pretty good lately and then I stopped breastfeeding and I've gone down hill a little. I thought by slowly weaning it would help, but it didn't do much and the baby refused it about 5 days ago. Hopefully I will be doing better quickly.
  • I felt like that happened to me. I happen to stop bfing, started the pill and had my period all in the same week. I was a wreck! I still have anxiety but starting to feel more like myself. Nobody really warns you about the postpartum things and how you will go through so many emotional changes. I'm glad I had good support. I think it would've be a lot worse otherwise.
  • @shackbarth1982‌ I agree. Support is huge even if it's just for a good distraction. I am doing better even since stopping breastfeeding although I had a crying spell today because I was out of brown sugar and my house is messy. Lol
  • This happened to me when I weaned my first. There is a hormone dip associated with weaning that can cause depression. It took me about two weeks to feel better that time, and I stopped pretty much cold turkey. I didn't notice it this time but I bf for a shorter period of time and was just so happy to be done.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Good to know. I'm on my second week without breastfeeding and it doesn't seem as bad as it was. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"