June 2014 Moms

Do you use white noise for sleep?

TunieBeeTunieBee member
edited September 2014 in June 2014 Moms
I'm wondering what people do for white noise. At night? For naps? Just for a few minutes to help them fall asleep or do you leave it on all night or the whole nap? Have you noticed that it makes a difference?

Do you use white noise for sleep? 146 votes

Yes, only at night
27% 40 votes
Yes, at night and for naps
32% 48 votes
Yes, but only when baby is falling asleep then I turn it off
8% 12 votes
SS
31% 46 votes

Re: Do you use white noise for sleep?

• my whole family is addicted to white noise. I blame DH- he started it lol
  • We don't use a white noise machine but we play rock a bye baby for him for naps and at night
  • Loading the player...
  • Ummmm...I realize I totally forgot a very important option..."No". Total mommy brain.

• I voted yes for naps and night time, but we don't have a sound machine. The ceiling fans are always on and I consider that white noise.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • SS- sometimes. We have a sleep sheep that she loves whether it's on or off.
  • We have Sleep Sheep as well. He sleeps well at night so I'm trying to use it during naps too. Help him realize the ocean sound means sleep time.
  • irenewsleeirenewslee member
    edited September 2014
    Night time only. E is at daycare during the day and I dont think they use one. When I was home the first 3 months, I occasionally turned it on during nap time.
  • SS: I used to, up until LO was about 2 months old. Lately, she's been falling asleep so easily that I don't need it. She also had a musical giraffe that did a fantastic job of lulling her to sleep, but I think we wound it too tight a couple days ago, and now it won't play :(
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Oh yesss we blast that thing and it stays on all the time. Calms her and drowns out outside noise as well
  • Sleep sheep here too.

I love that shit. It puts ME to sleep lol.

• Don't really use anything as he sleeps in our room well at night and naps on me becaue if I put him down the whole street would know. I did get him to nap 20 mom in his crib while playing an iPod so I'll try that again. I normally sing him to sleep.
    November D16  Siggy Challenge-Thanksgiving Fails

Pregnancy Ticker
  • On timer here as well, turns off in an hour.

We have used the ocean sound since day 1.
  • ?ss - We leave the fan on. But it's always on, so nothing special/new for LO

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We had a fan on when he was in our room but now that he is in the nursery there is nothing and he seems okay with it. Occasionally there is a big dehumidifier running in the next room which is loud enough to hear in the nursery which I do sometimes turn on if he is extra fussy even if we don't need it running.
    BFP: July 2013 M/C August 5, 2013
    BFP: October 22, 2013 EDD: June 21, 2014
    Baby boy arrived June 23, 2014

BFP: February 2016 EDD: October 17, 2016
  • SS: only when he's fussy. We use Mountain River on the Sound sleeper ap.
  • Yes, always.  We have THIS sound machine and have used it since the day he came home from the hospital (we bought it when DS1 was an infant and used it in his room until he was about 3).  We play "Rain" for all naps and throughout the entire night... we also use the projector as a night light.  I freaking love this thing.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• We use a white noise machine and I also have an app on my phone if she's really upset. DS still sleeps with his on all night and for naps.

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• SS: I downloaded an instrumental movie theme song album and a lullabye album that we play on our iPod for naps and at night. We leave it on all night as I think it helps when she wakes up.

• SS: naps only--DS falls asleep easily at night but needs assistance during the day
  • puttyeast said:

We have Sleep Sheep as well. He sleeps well at night so I'm trying to use it during naps too. Help him realize the ocean sound means sleep time.

This is exactly like my LO! When the ocean comes on he knows time to wind down
    I-)
    First time mommy-to-be
    E.D.D. June 1, 2014

• We have been using a fan as white noise during the summer but now that the weather is starting to cool down I'm not sure what we will be doing. Anyone has an app they can recommend?
    Married 05/15/13 FTM with EDD 06/24/14
  • Our white noise is our air conditioner. We have a window unit in the bedroom since we have no central air. But we remove it in the winter so we might be buying a machine. I think the baby could still fall asleep w/o it but I like that it drowns out noises so she stays asleep (we live in a densely populated area so it's kind of noisy.)
  • MrsAy said:
    We have been using a fan as white noise during the summer but now that the weather is starting to cool down I'm not sure what we will be doing. Anyone has an app they can recommend?
    @mrsay you can download an app that simulates the sound of a fan. Couldn't tell you the name of it, but I am sure if you search it, it will pop up. My friend used hers in a hotel room where we stayed before her and my husband's triathalon because she could not sleep without it.
    November D16  Siggy Challenge-Thanksgiving Fails

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I downloaded the one @skittler2‌ mentioned and it has a fan noise that sounds just like ours. Thanks!
    Married 05/15/13 FTM with EDD 06/24/14
  • puttyeast said:

We have Sleep Sheep as well. He sleeps well at night so I'm trying to use it during naps too. Help him realize the ocean sound means sleep time.

I-)

Us too. I don't like any of the other sleep sheep noises. The womb one freaks me out. Lol
  • We used a fan during the summer, but are not using anything now.  I just have to rock him to sleep, then he's out.

<3

• puttyeast said:

I-)

Sleep sheep is my homeboy!
  • We have a fan on all night. I can't sleep without it so she had it for the first 2.5 months. When I transitioned her to her own room, I put a fan in there too.
  • @Internationalkate‌ @puttyeast‌ @H&amp;H2014 does the sheep have replaceable batteries? Too lazy to get a screw driver but the homeboy has died and I will need him by naptime!
    First time mommy-to-be
    E.D.D. June 1, 2014

• @JmeJoLee83‌ I haven't had to replace them yet but I just looked if up and he takes 2 AA batteries. I hope you can get him going for nap time!
  • We play the same two relaxation songs on the ipod (on a dock with speakers) on repeat all night, every night. It's gentle jungle/nature sounds and she is so accustomed to it now, the silence wakes her, or like someone else said, the sounds of us and the cats (our two cats sound like a herd of elephants in the middle of the night) will wake her. 

• Team "fan is white noise" here. I tried a white noise app a few times and it was too stimulating. He would just stay wide awake. The fans are ok though.

image        image

• We play the same two relaxation songs on the ipod (on a dock with speakers) on repeat all night, every night. It's gentle jungle/nature sounds and she is so accustomed to it now, the silence wakes her, or like someone else said, the sounds of us and the cats (our two cats sound like a herd of elephants in the middle of the night) will wake her. 

@babygabe11‌ I also have had to give our two cats a stern speech about waking up the baby....but you just can't stop those midnight crazies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"