March 2015 Moms
Options

Physical demands of a Hospital Job

I am Tele RN but my unit census is up and down so when my unit is closed I have to work on other units. So I'm MedSurg, Tele & ER nurse sometimes. I get soOo busy and have heavy patients (weight heavy and work load) because I'm not considered staff on their floor. Most times I get stuck with a bad assignment. I'm not showing so I feel like I don't get extra help or pity when it comes to assigning the patients.

My concern is that I'm lifting, pulling over and turning a lot of patients all day. Sometimes I'm even pushing heavy beds and stretchers by myself. I'm only 117lbs and 15wks pregnant could I cause stress or harm to the baby? At times I don't eat or get a break till 7 hours into working my 12 hour shift so I was afraid of starving the baby too. I was reassured I wasn't but was very concerned that I am.

Re: Physical demands of a Hospital Job

• Options

You are a nurse, you should know that if you were doing these physical things before pregnancy that you are fine doing it now. Your body will tell you when you need to stop, so listen and make sure you are not overdoing it. Are you getting cramps during your shifts? If so, then you need to let your manager know immediately so you can sit down and hydrate. Snack when you can, but no you are not starving the baby.

Also, as pp said, your employer is legally obligated to give you some accomodations to help you do your job.

• Options
    I'm an RN in a very high acuity ICU, and let me tell you, people are only getting bigger making our jobs that much harder. If you did it before pregnancy you're ok now too. Put nuts or dried fruit in the pocket of your scrubs and be an advocate for yourself, if you need a break just be open with the staff you're working with and let them know you need to step away for 10 min to grab a bite to eat.
    Andrea (31), married Aaron (36) September 2012
    Parents to fur babies Tiki and Gizzmo and 2yr old Georgia
    IF veterans; #1 conceived on second clomid+HCG+IUI, #2 conceived on 1st Letrozole+HCG+IUI
    EDD: Feb 5, 2018

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm also a RN and if my doctor wrote restrictions for me I'd be out of a job in 3 months when the FMLA was spent. I've just been very upfront with my coworkers and supervisors - when I need help I ask for it. I also keep snacks in my pocket so if I get two minutes I have something to munch on. I think the support of my coworkers has been the most helpful. I only ask for help when I absolutely need it. I don't expect them to use my pregnancy in determining assignments. I don't expect any special treatment, but I do appreciate all the help I get. Just look out for yourself and do what you have to to take care of yourself. Even if that means popping in the break room for a quick snack.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I'm a L&D RN with a large high risk population and it is definitely more physical than other nursing jobs I've had. Like pp said I try to have small snacks handy and a big water bottle. And if you feel like you need help lifting or moving someone then ask. We as RNs should be practicing better body mechanics and shouldn't be doing it alone anyway.

BFP#1 1/23/12, EDD 9/25/12, MC 2/2/12 
    BFP#2 3/3/12, EDD 11/09/12 DD born 10/27/12
    BFP#3 1/12/14, EDD 9/16/14 MMC 3/6/14 @ 12w, measuring 8w, D&C 3/7/14
    BFP#4 7/4/14 Team Green EDD 3/16/15
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Most times I get stuck with a bad assignment. I'm not showing so I feel like I don't get extra help or pity when it comes to assigning the patients. 

At times I don't eat or get a break till 7 hours into working my 12 hour shift so I was afraid of starving the baby too. I was reassured I wasn't but was very concerned that I am.
    As long as I don't get assigned someone with shingles, I'm happy. Why would you think you need extra help or pity? Hell, I held off telling all but my charge and my manager until past 13 weeks because I DIDN'T want the pity. It's a shitty feeling.

And sorry, lol forever at 'starving the baby'. Lol forever.
    Daisypath Vacation tickersBabyFetus Ticker
    Married 19 October 2013
    TTC since June 2014
    BFP: 3 July 2014
    EDD: Pi Day 2015
  • Options
    Yes, I'm a nurse but also a new mom. So when all you hear is to snack and eat and drink more water sometimes I don't have time to and I just get worried. As for pity...I was just saying that as a staff RN when you float so you tend to get the worst assignments. So it's heavy patients, all Contact Isolations, total cares and a patient assigned in every corner. I was not hired as a float pool RN but it is slow in the hospital at times so I float.
  • Options
    I'll be the odd one out and sympathize with you. I'm an ER nurse and from my experience, everybody's body handles pregnancy differently. My first pregnancy I worked full time nights and busted my hump, didn't take breaks, and really didn't take very good care of myself. I ended up high risk with GD and PIH and was taken off a few weeks early.

I'm not saying use pregnancy as an excuse, or look for pity. But I am saying to make a point to take care of yourself, because your health comes first. I've seen co-workers run circles around others their entire pregnancies; but not everybody's body can handle that.

Make time for healthy snacks, slam the water, and listen to your body. If you're handling the physical demands fine, then keep moving on. But if you start getting crampy any OB will tell you that you need to drink some water and sit down, and make sure the cramps go away.
  • Options
    I remember working as a staff nurse, but never did so pregnant (I'm a NP now, so very different job description). I would just recommend being up front with the charge nurse when you get to the floor. Sure, you don't want pity, but you should ask for help if you need it. Nurses are the worst when it comes pushing limits; I remember being torn between finding help with a lift and just doing it myself and I wish I would have asked for help more. So while you may be just fine if you push your limits, I would recommend being up front with your coworkers. I can say that from my end of things now, I see way too many back injuries and other chronic pain issues from those who spent their careers pushing their limits. And when it comes to eating, I know many hospital floors require that you do not have food in patient areas, so that is harder to deal with. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"