March 2015 Moms

Switching Obgyn's at 15 weeks.

Hello ladies, wanted to see if you think it would be beneficial for me to switch OBGYN's at this point. I have never met my actual OBGYN, only her PA who is wonderful, and I adore her. I was a little concerned as this seemed odd so I did a little research, the doctor herself has horrible reviews! She has a high C-section rate,  and people say she is really rude and condescending. One person commented that the nurse in the hospital told her she is their least favorite doctor. I know I should have done this research a while ago but I really really like the PA, and never thought about looking around. I have been going to this doctors office for years for my yearly exams so I just assumed I would continue there.

I am now starting to feel very uncomfortable, as this is my first pregnancy. Is it hard to switch doctors, am I overreacting? I asked some ladies at work and they all recommended another that delivers at the hospital I want to deliver at. Thanks so much for any advice!
For SuzyQ0525 and all the loss moms.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

March 2015 Siggy Challenge - Animals being jerks

Re: Switching Obgyn's at 15 weeks.

• 15 weeks is NBD. I hate my insurance so much I'm thinking of switching providers in January. That will be stressful.

• Loading the player...
  • I think you should meet her first, and go from there. Different people have different emotional needs, so one doctors style might be a terrible fit for you, but great for someone else. I wouldn't make a decision based straight off of internet reviews.

How many appointments have you had so far? At this stage (I'm 16 weeks) I've had two appointments and my OB was there both times. I would make it a point to actually meet her and decide whether or not you like her before going elsewhere.

That being said, switching should not be difficult. You would sign a release of information so your new doctor could get all your records and then move forward from there.

The most important thing is that you are confident and comfortable with the care you are receiving and will continue to receive. If you're not, then switch.
  • I changed mine early in the pregnancy and if we move will be facing another doctor change late in the second trimester. My doctor just warned me to not switch after 32 weeks because some doctors won't accept patients this late in a pregnancy. Also be sure to have all your previous tests, appointment notes, etc sent to your new doctor to simplify the transition.
  • I agree that you should probably meet her first.  However, not feeling comfortable is reason enough for me to switch for any doctor, let alone your OB.  You should be happy and if switching would help make that happen, I say go for it.

But it's OK. Because:

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Change so you're feeling more comfortable! You'll be relieved in the end
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Whitfry, I have been to the doctor I think 4 times since I found out I was pregnant, 2 of those were symptom related and they asked me to come in, they got me in within hours each time. I have seen her in the hallways at the office but she has never spoken to me, she honestly looked kinda unfriendly so I was never comfortable approaching her. 
    For SuzyQ0525 and all the loss moms.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

March 2015 Siggy Challenge - Animals being jerks

• Switching at 15 weeks isn't a big deal at all.  I switched at 34 weeks with DS (due to a move).  

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• I think you should arrange to meet her and if your gut still tells you that you should switch, definitely do. It's important that you have someone you're comfortable with.

Just wondering, how do you find out what kind of c-section rate an OB has?
  • rm2013rm2013 member
    edited September 2014

Hello ladies, wanted to see if you think it would be beneficial for me to switch OBGYN's at this point. I have never met my actual OBGYN, only her PA who is wonderful, and I adore her. I was a little concerned as this seemed odd so I did a little research, the doctor herself has horrible reviews! She has a high C-section rate,  and people say she is really rude and condescending. One person commented that the nurse in the hospital told her she is their least favorite doctor. I know I should have done this research a while ago but I really really like the PA, and never thought about looking around. I have been going to this doctors office for years for my yearly exams so I just assumed I would continue there.

I am now starting to feel very uncomfortable, as this is my first pregnancy. Is it hard to switch doctors, am I overreacting? I asked some ladies at work and they all recommended another that delivers at the hospital I want to deliver at. Thanks so much for any advice!
    @bakingmama123‌ - the bold parts of your post say it all. WTF? You've been going to that office for years and never met the doctor? Who does your pap the PA? That's the sketchiest thing I've ever heard.

Your OB will be entrusted with your baby's LIFE and with yours too! So many things can happen where the outcome hinges on what they decided to do. And if she's too lazy to service or even fucking meet her own GYN patients then I guarantee she'll be one of those lazy doctors who will give you an unnecessary c-section just because they don't feel like being bothered if you labor too long or if it's more convenient for their schedule.

Run and find a new OB ASAP. They will do consults were you can just interview them and get a feel for where they stand and how they operate. Be sure to ask their policies on things like going overdue, it there a time limit for laboring after your water breaks, csection rate, etc. also second PP recommendation on getting referrals from people you know who were pleased with their doctor. Good luck and it's still way early, switching will be fine.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Is there another doctor you think you would like in that office? I know my office has like 8 different doctors. Might be easier to just switch that way, but if not I would def switch offices.
  • ruemorganruemorgan member
    edited September 2014
    I would avoid any ob with high c-section rates if you are looking for a vaginal birth and especially an unmedicated birth.

But, point blank, if shes not sitting right with you then follow your instinct.
  • I am switching doctors at about 28 weeks because we are moving.  I have seen my doctor that I currently have at every visit so far.  I would switch if I were you.

Pregnancy Ticker

• JCWhitey said:

Switching at 15 weeks isn't a big deal at all.  I switched at 34 weeks with DS (due to a move).  

Same here with DD, and also during late second tri with DS. This is the first pregnancy I'll be staying with the same practice the whole time.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • I say switch. I'm thinking about switching because it seems like my Dr. Is never available on the days I can make it due to my work schedule. She is either booked way out or she is on vacation, or teaching a class.
    EDD 3/11/15

• Change docs! Find the one that is right for you. It doesn't matter if you are at 15 weeks or 35 weeks-if the doctor doesn't seem to have your best interest at heart, then make a move.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I ignored my instincts with #1 and waited. Things got worse with the OB. I switched doctors at 26 weeks. Call around. Some drs will not accept patients after a certain point. My second Dr was wonderful. I've used him for now #3. I only haven't seen him once total and he was on a planned vacation. I had a concern and saw his partner.
    This person I is taking care of you and your baby. You need to be comfortable.
  • I just switched this week from a family friend MW to a non-family friend. With my first I never saw a doctor but that was mostly due to the fact that I was seeing the MWs and had no interest in the dr. You aren't. It's only been 2 or three appts but I'd expect to see the dr on the second at least.

If it doesn't feel right go. It's easy yor leave now, the longer you wait the harder you get. Plus I wouldn't like the high c/s rate. That says to me your ob is impatient. Which very well may not be true but that's what is think
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic baby development
    SURPRISE! Here comes #3! 
  • I dont think there is any problem with switching your  OBGYN.  I had an appointment today and my  OBGYN was not available so went with another  OBGYN at the clinic. I actually liked her more. Again im moving to Canada in a month and will have a new  OBGYN again. Its a personal thing I dont mind changing my  OBGYN unless I had a problem with her.
  • Totally fine i switched doctors and hospitals a week before my edd
  • JCWhitey said:

Switching at 15 weeks isn't a big deal at all.  I switched at 34 weeks with DS (due to a move).  

I'm glad I read this because this could be a high possibility for me! Was really worried, but it always helps to hear others have been through it! :) How was it, finding and ob at the last minute? Did you end up liking them?

• vargasgurlvargasgurl member
    edited September 2014
    I had a good OB but I didn't like his bed side manner. When he moved to a different office I was already 18weeks and I switched ... I love my current OB and she will now deliver my babies .. We have a great relationship. You need to feel completely comfortable w the person that is going to take care of you and your needs now more than ever.
    < image
  • Switching at 15 weeks isn't a big deal at all.  I switched at 34 weeks with DS (due to a move).  
    I'm glad I read this because this could be a high possibility for me! Was really worried, but it always helps to hear others have been through it! :) How was it, finding and ob at the last minute? Did you end up liking them?
    Well I never had an OB.  I went from a midwifery practice in CA to a Family Doctor in MN.  Basically all I did was call the local clinic two weeks before the move and explained to them why I needed a new doctor at 32 weeks.  They asked if I had a prefered doctor and I just said "Whoever is available".  They pretty much picked the doctor for me,  all of the docs in isnpractice got ridiculously high ratings and I couldn't decide so I left it to chance.  In the end I loooooooooved my doctor!  Sadly she left te practice a month after DS was born.  With this baby I went from a different doctor at that clinic to a different doctor in a different clinic because we moved again.  I was sad to leave my old practice, but so far am very happy with the new one!  My new doctor was teasing me and joking with me through the appointment  and we really clicked.  Btw, in my area, there really aren't OBs.  Everyone sees a family doctor and you only see an OB if you are high risk.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• You know how much I love mine... seriously.
    Dr. Durkee. She's amazing.
    Me: 33
    DH: 30
    TTC #2 Since April 2017
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"