March 2015 Moms

Migraine Med - Fioricet® (butalbital, acetaminophen, caffeine)

Has anyone ever taken this med to treat migraines? I've had horrible migraines throughout my pregnancy and I just got the prescription today. I want to do some research before I begin taking it (outside of the talk I had with my doctor about it this morning) and I thought I would ask you all as well. TIA.

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Migraine Med - Fioricet® (butalbital, acetaminophen, caffeine)

• I just got over a 4 day migraine yesterday. I finally called my dr for a prescription for fioricet, and it helped within 10-15 minutes of taking it. I heb had zero luck with Tylenol and caffeine, so whatever that other ingredient is must be the trick. I was also told to up my daily magnesium intake, since my prenatal only has 22% DV.
  • Also, it was recommended to me by several friends who've had migraines during pregnancy or know someone who has taken it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks! I'm so glad it helped you! Caffeine and Tylenol haven't worked for me either so I was desperate for something. I'll look into a Mg supplement as well. Thanks!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I took firocet with my first 2 pregnancies. I haven't had a migraine in this one. That is the bomb dot com.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic baby development
    SURPRISE! Here comes #3! 
  • I have been on fioricet for a few years (I would only get hormonal migraines usually during my cycle and not even monthly). This pregnancy has been horrible for migraines and bad headaches...worse and more often than during pregnancy. I keep fioricet on hand and have been told by my doc to take two for severe cases. Unfortunately, if I get to where two don't help I have to go to the ER. I have only been warned to let them know if I am taking like 6 in a week. So far I haven't had to take more than two or three on a given day and was getting one a week... Sorry for the book but I hope that info helps!
    BabyFruit Ticker image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I don't have any experience with that medication. Pre-pregnancy I used either Maxalt or Relpax for migraines. First few weeks of pregnancy were awful with migraines lasting 3-4 days. Thankfully around week 9 or 10 those ended for me. My doctor recently said that that felt Imitrix would be safe to use during the second trimester if absolutely necessary but I haven't had to do that yet.

I'm so sorry you are having such awful migraines. I hope the medicine helps and that hopefully the migraines end soon for you. Do you take any magnesium to help prevent migraines? This has been helpful for me and also keeps the constipation away. Good luck and feel better!
  • I am on it currently for sever migraine with aura that causes me to have stroke symptoms. I stopped taking it when I found out I was pregnant but have recently had an appointment with my Neurologist. He tells me that ANY medication for severe migraine is a category C (While pregnant, category B is the safest) but that rather than have me take a daily dose of a category C, that being given fioricet w/codeine is still a category C but is only in the system for 6-8 hours so it carries less of a risk so long as I only take it twice, sometimes, three times a week. More often than that and you may be better off taking a daily low dose of something else. This is my experience with it at least. Also there are 2 vitamins that you can take daily that help cut back on the amount of migraines; they are Vitamin B-2 100mg and Magnesium 250mg or at least that's what I've been told by my OB and Neurologist & that if possible, it's the safest option for migraines

photo photo_zps71159d02.jpg
    Chloe & Luna: 2 of my fur-babies
    BabyFruit Tickerimage
  • Strawberry9Strawberry9 member
    edited September 2014
    I thought there was nothing to take for migraines. It's safe during pregnancy? I have been struggling horribly with migraines that have been lasting for days. I'm going to call my doctor and inquire about it.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • They typically won't give you anything except tell you to take tylenol unless you experience debilitating migraines. I don't know if OP's reason for taking it was just pregnancy related or if she had a pre-existing problem but an existing issue is usually why a doctor will prescribe it AFTER the first trimester. I say that b/c I was already on it but had to discontinue it until I was 13 weeks due to there being unknown side effects on babies while in utero but there's less of a risk after first trimester. 

**Sorry for grammar mistakes, it's almost 1am here and I'm starting to go cross eyed 

photo photo_zps71159d02.jpg
    Chloe & Luna: 2 of my fur-babies
    BabyFruit Tickerimage
  • I took this medication prior to my pregnancy. My doctor said that I can continue to take it if my migraines flare up. So I'm sure it's ok if your Dr prescribed it, you're fine:) best wishes and I hope you get to feeling better.
  • I take fioricet for migraines, and have since the very beginning of the pregnancy (and my last one as well). It's the only thing that helps me.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"