December 2014 Moms

Toddler Parenting WIN

Major parenting win yesterday. We've been doing the 'what we make is what's for dinner' deal now for a week or so. No special meals made, no snacks if you don't eat dinner.

Last night I made stir-fry and Grace ate a little bit of EVERYTHING on her plate. Veggies, steak, tons of jasmine brown rice. And she LIKED IT.

No one ever tells you how satisfying it is as a parent to watch your child eat good, healthy food. We are blessed to have a pantry full of great food that Grace now eats with almost no complaint.

Micropreemie, IUGR mom to Noah, born 10 weeks early at 1lb, 10oz.  Grace born 02/2012

Re: Toddler Parenting WIN

• Go Grace! That's awesome. It's like pulling teeth to get my guy to eat in general.
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
  • Sadly @gradschoolmom‌1234 - my DS is just like me. I hated eating and so does he. I think my mom is getting a gleeful amount of pleasure out of this.
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
  • Loading the player...
  • My parents did this with me and my sister, before my mom caved in and made whatever my brothers wanted to eat. Needless to say, 30 years later my sister and I have MUCH healthier eating habits than our brothers. 

Hope Grace keeps it up! =)

In loving memory of Baby Hufflepuff and all of D14's Angel Babies

imageimage
  • It has been an adjustment for my husband and I more than anything.  My best friend has been telling me to do this for a year now.   I'm a pretty rock solid parent - I don't bend to my kid when she fights me on something, usually.  But I was so tired of fighting, I just gave in.   I give in because we are at someone's house, or I'm tired, or I'm just not in the mood to fight her.  

She was always so picky at home.  It had to be chicken nuggets, grilled cheese or pizza.  Finally, our daycare gal said to me one day "Gracie is my best eater!  She eats whatever I make for lunch."

So that night we made spaghetti and she ate it without a fight.   I thought for sure that stir-fry would be outside her comfort zone - not at all. 

Best thing we have done in a LONG time.   We recently went through potty training and then transitioned to her big girl room and now what I make is what you get dinner.   I was worried that she'd reached the end of her rope with transitions and was waiting for the meltdowns to increase.  Not at all.  She's taken to it like a champ.   Next big transition is the baby, so we get to ease back into a solid routine until then. :)   My kid amazes me all the dang time.  
    Micropreemie, IUGR mom to Noah, born 10 weeks early at 1lb, 10oz.  Grace born 02/2012
  • We also rotate things back in if she doesn't like them.  We did kind of a modified BLW and then fell off the wagon completely.   Survival while we were going through fertility treatments, I think.  

This next guy will eat what we eat from the get-go.   It's the best feeling ever!  I don't know why we put it off so long. 
  • We have done this since the beginning and it has worked very well for us!  I'm glad that it's working for you too!  We did BLW so she has always just eaten what we eat.  Of course when we were just starting out she did have some special snacks that were easier to eat but once she outgrew that we stopped buying anything specific for kids.  I know it could just be that she is not picky but she has never known any other way.  When we try something new I encourage her to try it and if she doesn't like it we don't make a big deal out of it.  I just make sure she has enough other things that she does like.  I will throw that food back in to the rotation and usually after the second or third time of trying it she will start eating it.  Honestly, I just try not to make a big deal out of meals.  If she doesn't eat something or if she doesn't eat much one night, then that's fine. 
    This is what we do too and it works out really well.  DS is an awesome eater and will eat just about anything.  There are few foods that he simply does not like, so I don't force them.  I just make sure there's enough other stuff that he does like.  

But I refuse to cook a whole new meal.  I know a mom who packs a meal for each of her children when they go somewhere to eat because she just knows they aren't going to like whatever food is served.  No ma'am, ain't nobody got time for that!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • "No ma'am, ain't nobody got time for that!" is the actual quote I used when I told Greg we were done making special meals.  LOL
  • Awesome!!!!
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • We've never made separate special food for DD but I also never served her something I knew she wouldn't eat. If we were having stir fry I'd pick out the meat and veggies I knew she would eat and give her that. But I have recently implemented a new rule that she has to try a bite of everything. I hated that rule when I was growing up but I get it now. And you know what? Half the time she loves whatever it is that she wouldn't have otherwise ever tried.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Pretty sure I'm the one who is fighting the transitions.  I think it's just all come at the same time when I was mourning the "loss" of only having ONE child.  I wanted her to stay little, I think, without really fully realizing I was doing it.  

She's totally resilient and has kicked butt at every transition we've thrown her way.   I seriously love how kick-ass my kid is.  :)   I wish I could describe to the FTM how much you'll love the crap out of your kids - and how they'll surprise you every day and you'll fall even MORE in love with them.
  • Oh, I can't get E to eat anything other thank Kraft Mac and cheese. I was in heaven when I got him to eat almost a whole grilled cheese yesterday. I'm envious.

<CafeMom Tickers>

CafeMom Tickers
  • You are my hero! That is how I want to be with LO. He is our first, so I'm afraid that i will cave too easily. I read Bringing Up Bebe, and that is what they stress, so I am hoping I can do it! 
  • Last night she had quinoa and veggies again.   Seriously, why didn't I do this sooner!?!??!   Who knew? LOL (Other than all my friends with kids older than Grace)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"