Stay at Home Moms
Options

I just need to understand something regarding leggings..

When stated..
LEGGINGS AREN'T PANTS 

Do you mean, like wearing tight leggings with a tank top?  A tank top that sits at the top of the leggings, therefore not covering your private area.  Because yeah, that is gross and unacceptable.  Unless you are cleaning a bathroom or 3.

But to wear under a long tunic top?  One that goes practically mid-thigh?  I think that is totally acceptable and that is that they are there for.
I think it would be weird to wear one of those long tunic tops with jeans or to go bare legged.  So naturally leggings go underneath it..

So just want to clarify what the big discrepancy is here...

Or do the people that swear leggings aren't pants just not wear tunics?  

Check out my blog ---->  http://minismama.com/

Re: I just need to understand something regarding leggings..

• Options
    Kimbus22 said:
    I have no idea. I wore capri leggings to drop Joey off and pick him up today.  With DH's giant hoodie over it to cover me to the knees.

I find them acceptable when ass/cooch is covered. But even then I wouldn't consider them pants.  They're....leggings.
    Yeah, I did that today too haha.  But my question is, is that was is deemed awful by the "leggings aren't pants" people?  I mean, I wouldn't call them pants either...I wouldn't call tights pants either.  But they cover my legs...

• Options
    I am no help. I love leggings. Love them. My adorable second baby moved my hip bones or something (plus that whole baby weight thing) and not a single pair of the pants I used to wear (even in bigger sizes) fits this new body. So, until I am prepared to drop some serious coin on "good" pants, leggings (with an ass covering top) look cute and casual, are flexible enough to be active in, and are cheap enough that I don't freak out if they get paint or grease or bleach on them. And I don't feel like a schlub in them as opposed to ill fitting pants or sweats. Leggings, tunic, infinity scarf, and a good pair of boots is a cute, put together look, and no one will convince me otherwise. #micdrop
    Preach on.  I hear ya

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I personally have a very all-encompassing definition of pants, which is any garment with two long tube shaped pieces of material that cover my legs and that I can wear when going out in public, so to me leggings are absolutely a "type" of pants. As are jeans, yoga pants, dress pants, etc. I realize this may disagree with the consensus of the leggings-are-not-pants crowd.

I do wear them with longer tops/sweaters, etc., however, I confess: this past weekend I wore leggings with a top that was barely ass-covering and not even remotely coochie-covering, but I had on a long black cardigan over it which I had every intention of keeping on. Well, once we got out and walking it was hotter out than I expected, so I took the sweater off. Oh well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am no help. I love leggings. Love them. My adorable second baby moved my hip bones or something (plus that whole baby weight thing) and not a single pair of the pants I used to wear (even in bigger sizes) fits this new body. So, until I am prepared to drop some serious coin on "good" pants, leggings (with an ass covering top) look cute and casual, are flexible enough to be active in, and are cheap enough that I don't freak out if they get paint or grease or bleach on them. And I don't feel like a schlub in them as opposed to ill fitting pants or sweats. Leggings, tunic, infinity scarf, and a good pair of boots is a cute, put together look, and no one will convince me otherwise. #micdrop
    Preach on.  I hear ya

Yes! I took it for granted in earlier posts that leggings go with longer tops.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I wear them exactly how you described in your second example and they are most certainly acceptable like that. Coming front and back bottom (as DD calls it) is perfect fine.
  • Options
    Why doea everyone think its gross if you just have like a normal tshirt or tank top on with leggings?
  • Options
    I love leggings with long tops/sweaters.  It's one of my fav outfits in the fall/winter
  • Options
    Kimbus22 said:
    id012 said:
    Why doea everyone think its gross if you just have like a normal tshirt or tank top on with leggings?
    Because no one wants to see your camel or your ass under that little amount of fabric but your H and the dirty old man at the corner bar?
    What she said.
  • Options
    Kimbus22 said:
    id012 said:
    Because no one wants to see your camel or your ass under that little amount of fabric but your H and the dirty old man at the corner bar?
    You just made my day.

• Options
    Ok, I'm glad that we are clearing this up.  I was getting nervous that people would think I would walk around with a potential camel toe just because I state that I wear leggings in public.   Whew.  

• Options
    Here is how I usually wear leggings:
    Once I stop running, shower and change.  I do not sit around all sweaty.
  • Options
    Hah the bike picture made me laugh. I guess I asked bevause I really only ever wear running or yoga leggings. And I only wearing them to/from and at the gym.
  • Options
    I DONT judge leggings as pants.
  • Options
    Are we making a distinction here between tights leggings (thin and totally see through) and athletic leggings (basically yoga pants that stop below the knee and don't flare)? Because I wear the latter a lot. I run almost every day and sometimes I wear them without covering my butt. But you can't see anything through them...

team leggings here.
  • Options
    HBirdie said:
    Are we making a distinction here between tights leggings (thin and totally see through) and athletic leggings (basically yoga pants that stop below the knee and don't flare)? Because I wear the latter a lot. I run almost every day and sometimes I wear them without covering my butt. But you can't see anything through them...

team leggings here.
    Athletic leggings worn to run are not the same to me because I have never seen see through athletic leggings. 

weren't the new lululemon ones see through this year?
  • Options
    HBirdie said:

team leggings here.
    Athletic leggings worn to run are not the same to me because I have never seen see through athletic leggings. 

C'mon, you have to know by now that I would never pay $100 for running pants... ;)  =))
  • Options
    HBirdie said:
    HBirdie said:

team leggings here.

C'mon, you have to know by now that I would never pay $100 for running pants... ;)  =))
    yes, but I have bought lulu lemon yoga pants at an upscale consignment store for a very affordable price.  If I had the $$ I would totally buy them brand new.
  • Options
    HBirdie said:
    HBirdie said:

team leggings here.

lol very true:)
  • Options
    HBirdie said:
    HBirdie said:

team leggings here.

lol very true:)
    Oh, but don't get me wrong, I have admired them. Their stuff is really pretty. If I could afford it, I would. IDK if that's a double standard... workout clothes make me happy :D
  • Options
    eaglesfan700eaglesfan700 member
    edited September 2014
    Leggings are pants /gavel

Honestly, I am not impressed by lululemon bottoms. I think Athleta are better quality
    DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • Options
    lol, I wouldn't pay that kind of money for clothes to wear to the grocery store!
    DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • Options
    I think if you are  a yoga teacher I would totally understand why you would buy that stuff.  But I really enjoy getting yoga tops from target and old navy on sale.  Just as good IMO
  • Options
    NandaB said:
    I solve the luludilema by not working out. Problem solved

Lulu solved it for me by holding a firm belief that no one over a size 12 should own their status-symbol workout pants. I'm just full of fat girl problems today.

Grant - 6/2/11
    Glenn and Caroline - 6/19/13

• Options
    Cute

I have the top in the first pic and it doesn't cover my bum. #tallgirlproblems I also don't wear leggings that look remotely like any of the ones pictured so there's that. No camel toe or see through leggings here. I have a combo of fleece lined ones and ones that are as thick as jeggings are.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    auroraloo said:
    oh don't get me started on jeggings. . .

Not a jeggings fan either. Lookie we agree on something fashion related!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    To me, jeggings are just thicker leggings, with pockets.  To be worn the same way you would wear leggings.  With a shirt covering your parts.  Or at least most of your parts, bc you don't really risk the camel toe so much in jeggings bc they are so thick.  

They are like yoga pants to wear in public.  
    I mean, I still wear my real yoga pants in public, but you know what I mean.

• Options
    Thanks to you ladies I am now hyper-aware of when I see leggings being worn as pants (aka "parts not covered by the top") ..... like SIL's future SILs at the wedding rehearsal last night.....

I sometimes do wear yoga pants to run to the grocery store, though.....
    :\">
  • Options
    I love jeggings as well also with knee high boots and longer tops.  

lulu lemon sizes small - so if you are a 6 you wear their pants in a size 8 - that pisses me off.  they should know better being in the fitness industry.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"