Baby Names
Options

Taylor for a girl?

Aly226Aly226 member
edited September 2014 in Baby Names
I made a post a while ago about trying to decide between the names Willow/Willow-Mae, Amelia and Taylor and had a few comments about Taylor being a boys name or sounding more like a last name and I was just wondering whether that was a common opinion.

Do you think of the name Taylor as a boys name or a girls name?

Also was considering Taylor-Mae, Taylor-Rose Or Taylor-Jane and wondering whether people thought that made it sound better and more feminine.

Re: Taylor for a girl?

• Options
    My niece is named Taylor. It's not a name I would choose (and it feels a bit 1990s), but it's not cringe worthy or anything.

• Options
    Taylor could go either way. It's a boy name IMO but I know more girls named Taylor than boys.  It's also a last name. I would never use this on a girl, or at all, but especially not on a girl.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I used to be a substitute teacher and I met so many girls named Taylor. I probably met 20. Plus my name is Mary Taylor(no hyphen, my whole first name).

I don't bat an eye when I see it on a boy but it's really hard for me to not automatically think girl since I am a girl with this name.
  • Options
    I think girl but my SIL is named Taylor.  I would definitely not hyphenate it.  I think it's just a name where people aren't going to be 100% either way.  I don't love it and I do not care for Willow.  I like Rose and Jane as first names.
  • Options
    I have come to realize that names are whatever gender you see fit. I have three nieces (out of 9 kids, 3 nieces and 6 nephews) all having boys/girls names.
    Mackenzie (meaning son of Kenneth)
    Taylor
    Teirnen (He is of the earth)
  • Options

I will dissent and say I think girl first, but I do know one man (he's in his early 30s) named Taylor. 

I like it-- and it happens to be my sister's middle name.  I am not sure how I feel about a hyphened double name, but if you just went with Taylor and did Mae as the middle, I think that would be lovely.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options
    I know way more girl Taylors than boy, so I think it has swung over, right or wrong. I am not a fan of hyphenated first names. I'd go Willow.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The only boy Taylors I know are my age or order. All the younger ones I know are girls.

I don't like it at all for a girl; there is absolutely nothing feminine about it. And I wouldn't use it on a boy since, unfortunately, it seems to have gone to the girls :(
  • Options
    I always think 'girl' for Taylor. Only male Taylor I know was on "Gilmore girls" and it always struck me oddly.
  • Options
    I know more girl Taylor's than boy Taylor's.
  • Options

Willow by a landslide.

I know 4,000 Taylors... all little girls... I even know a Taylor Madison and it makes my heart ache slightly... Its not so much that it's a boys name, it's just so ultra popular where I am... I also think TaylorMade when I see Taylor-Mae. The hypenated first name also just seems like a royal pain in the butt...

October TTGP Challenge- Villains
    Samara- The Ring
    *I may not be able to keep this all month
     the ring animated GIF
  • Options
    MH name is Taylor it's all boy to me. I like your other names so much better for a girl
    Love: 5.27.09
    Marriage: 6.15.13
  • Options
    I grew up with one Taylor....she was a girl. Ask them if they've heard of Taylor Swift! It's been a girls name for quite some time now. It is a bit of a unisexed name but if you are find with that then I say go for it.
  • Options
    I know girl Taylors and I still think of it as a boy name
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It's just so very very 90s trendy to me.

Also, Taylor-Mae is awful. Entirely too cutesy and country.

Pretty much every other name on your list, Rose, Jane (love Jane, so underused these days), Amelia, even Willow (NMS, but not bad) are better. I actually can get behind Mae as a first name, but it's NMS in the middle and I hate it as a double-first. I'm not a huge fan of double-firsts, there are very few that I think don't sound either pretentious or cutesy. Taylor doesn't lend itself well to a double-first at all.

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Agree it's too gender-ambiguous. And adding a girly hyphenation just looks like you're trying to hard.

Not to mention I live in New England. That name is butchered up here

• Options
    marthah05 said:
      Teirnen (He is of the earth)
    Is it really spelled this way?
  • Options
    I don't know any Taylors, but it sounds very masculine to me.  I like Willow much better for a girl.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • Options
    My neice is taylor jordan I like the name for girl I'd do tyler for boy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"