High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Baby Aspirin to Prevent Pre-E

I had an appt yesterday at 11 weeks.  I had pre-e in my first pregnancy, delivered at 36 weeks.  My BP is good at this point in my current pregnancy.  My OB is having me do 24 hr urine catch to get a baseline and he suggested starting on baby aspirin for this pregnancy; he cited a recent medical study that has shown that once daily baby aspirin can reduce pre-e for high risk patients by 25%.  He said it increases blood flow to placenta and baby (there is evidence that pre-e may be caused by a defective placenta).  This is encouraging since previously I was told they know very little about causes of pre-e and there was nothing to do that could prevent it.  It's a scary diagnosis so I'd obviously like to avoid it at all costs.   
However... I wonder about risks of being on baby aspirin while pregnant.  Doctor google says it increase bleeding risks and placental abruption but these are rare.  My doctor said the benefits would outweigh risks for me so I will most likely take it.  I want to get a second opinion from MFM.
 Just wondering if anyone had a personal experience with this.  
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Baby Aspirin to Prevent Pre-E

• Options
    My MFM recommended I take the baby aspirin as well due to my blood pressure spikes and my concern of developing preeclampsia. My OB never mentioned it to me.

I also asked about taking a higher dose of vitamin d to lower the risk of preeclampsia, but he said there was not enough info to back this up. I read the vitamin d thing on webmd.
  • Options
    While the aspirin can help reduce the chance of developing Pre-E, it also has another benefit. One of the risks of Pre-E is having a stroke from high BP. The aspirin can help lower that risk.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"