August 2014 Moms

hypnobirthing/babies final thoughts?

I like closure ha ha! So I came across my cds and was deciding what to do with them...keep them or not. I thought it would be interesting to have this thread with your final thoughts. 
1) Did you get what you wanted from the course
2) Either way, would you use it again
3) Anything else to add

@adam-n-emily

Re: hypnobirthing/babies final thoughts?

• 1) No, but it's my fault. I waited way to late to even try to use any of it and by that time things were so crazy I couldn't focus. There were way to many people around trying to talk to me too. 

2) Even though I did not have a med free birth this go around, I will keep the course books and cds and try it again next time.

3) I feel like I made some mistakes that I can learn from and hopefully next time be able to have the med free birth I want. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I definitely got what I wanted from the course, which was an unmedicated home birth. I was in labor for four days and as wonderful as my midwives and DH were, I wouldn't have lasted without the Hypnobabies relaxation techniques.

I just sold my CDs and workbook, but I would do the course again with another pregnancy (if/when that happens).
  • 1) Yes, I actually got what I wanted out of the course which was remaining calm during un-medicated labor.
    2) Yes, I would use it again.
    3) I did not end up with the birth I had planned but Hypnobabies helped me to get through 24 hours of un-medicated labor and deal with the ebs and flows of what came next, remaining calm. After not sleeping in 36 hours or eating in 18 and being stuck at 5cm and 100% effacement, I opted for an epidural and then Pitocin to help things along. I hoped it would give us a rest so that LO would either turn away from being sunny side up or could descend further. After a total of 19 hours with no change to dilation or LO's position, we were faced with either continuing to labor until the morning and re-check OR c-section. Neither LO or I were in distress, though I was insanely hungry and my eyes were rolling back in my head from exhaustion. Even when I was scared out of my mind to be going into surgery- I remained calm. Everything turned out well, I've had a smooth recovery and I would totally use Hypnobabies again. However, the chances that I'd be able to have a VBAC are pretty slim. My pelvic shape and large babies just don't mix. 

I absolutely recommend the course though. It was fantastic.
  • 1) Did you get what you wanted from the course
    I did.  I was able to have an unmedicated birth that was not painful (I would describe it as uncomfortable at times).  I attribute Hypnobabies to my quick birthing time, helping me visualize the progression and remain relaxed.
    Most definitely.  I took the class this time, so next time I'll just do it at home.
    3) Anything else to add
    I'm not sure if doing a class vs the home study made the difference, but I really feel like its worth attending the class if you're able to.  From our check-in, I think I was one of the few who was able to actually attend a class.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image  image
    BFP 5/08/13 -- EDD 1/15/14 -- slow hb@7wks d&c 6/07/13
    BFP 8/12/13 -- EDD 4/20/14 -- no fetal pole @7wksnatural m/c 9/16/13, cytotec 10/17 & 10/22
    BFP 11/26/13 -- EDD 8/07/14 -- Born 7/24/14!
  • I wasn't lart of the regular check in but want to share my thoughts!

1) I did not. I dont think that I was dedicated enough doing the home study and listening to my tracks. I also didn't like having headphones in during labor, it just really bugged me and made me feel self conscious for some weird reason. It may have helped a bit during early labor, but the pain was so horrible at the end it was impossible for me to focus on self hypnosis.

2) yes, I'm hanging onto it for next time. Hopefully I can be better about practicing and my L&D will be less traumatic (long story short, home birth xfer to hospital after 30 hours and stalling at a 6 for 10 hours, horrible ctxns from sunny side up baby, LOTS of meconium, epi+pit, DD in NICU for two days)

2) I just really hope next time is more successful!

TTC September 2013 | BFP 11/21/13 | Chart | EDD 8/3/14 | It's a girl! 

DD born at 42 weeks 1 day | 8/18/14 5:33am | 8lbs 4oz 20.25in of perfection!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • 1) I definitely think the course helped me to have more of a calm birth than my first was. Both were med-free, but I was surprised at how much more confident I was and more able to work with my body to birth my baby. My first birth was ~50 hours and my second was 7 total. I really enjoyed the time of relaxation that I had while practicing it every day.
    2) If we have another baby I will absolutely be using this course again. Next time I will practice the center switch more. During labor I honestly felt intense pressure rather than pain, but when it came to pushing and I had to suddenly get out of the tub because baby's heart rate was dropping I lost all focus, and things did become painful. Thank goodness that part only lasted 30 mins!
    I think it would have helped if DH or my doula had tried to help me focus again and use the techniques I had practiced. Overall I am very satisfied with my birth experience though.
    3) I think you all are rockstars and it was great to be on this journey with you! For those who ended up getting an epi, don't beat yourself up. I truly believe there is a place for pain management, when the body is exhausted and progress is halted because of that. I hope that you can all find healing if you were in any way traumatized by your experience. And every birth is different so don't lose heart!
    blighted ovum 5w3d 10/11
    Aidan Russell 8/7/12
    missed m/c 8w6d 11/1/13
    Shane Ryan 8/25/14
    imageimage
  • 1) Did you get what you wanted from the course - I used hypnobirthing instead of hypnobabies, and honestly I was a slacker and rarely listened to the tracks and practiced the exercises. I did end up with a med free birth with a nearly 10 lb baby, but I think I was lucky in that I was already 6 cm dilated with mild contractions when I arrived to the hospital. 

2) Either way, would you use it again - I would. I think if there is a next time I would like to try hypnobabies so I can be more in control of the pain.

3) Anything else to add - I think the main things that helped me were reading positive natural birth stories (Ina May's Guide to Childbirth) and having access to the whirlpool tub. Plus having a very encouraging husband who applied hours of counter pressure on my hips and back made things more bearable! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• 1) Did you get what you wanted from the course
    Yes! Although I think I out in about 70% effort, it really helped me focus and have literally the exact birth experience I hoped for. I'm still in awe of how well everything went this time, because DD1s birth was so long and full of interventions.

Yes, and our experience is part if the reason we are already thinking about a third.

3) Anything else to add
    I just realized I never posted DD's birth story! Sorry to leave you hypnobabies mamas hanging.

Here's the abridged version for now. :) Water broke 40w 2 d at 11:30pm WHILE I was praying to go into labor on my own and listening to "come out baby". Got to the hospital around 3am, pushed at 6:40, doc almost didn't make it to deliver her at 6:54. No meds, used hypnobabies. Couldn't have gone better and I feel great!

To anyone who didn't have the experience they hoped for, don't let that discourage you next time around! My births were night and day different. Also I think my previous hypnobabies knowledge helped me recall everything and focus more easily this time around, despite puting less effort into the program. So if you think it helped you even somewhat, it is worth trying again.

Also I think all my younger sisters-in-law are planning to borrow my CDs now, haha.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"