Working Moms

kindergarten make-up work

DS1 missed school yesterday because he was sick.  I was just going through his folder tonight (we usually do his worksheet and read his book over breakfast in the morning), and there is a stack of worksheets to "make-up" from Tuesday.  Do you think his teacher is expecting him to do these and hand them in?  Or are these just for me to do with him when we have time? 

Off topic, but there is also a sheet in there saying that I have to bring in a PIE on Friday for the school spaghetti dinner.  Who has time to bake a pie on a random Thursday night? 

Re: kindergarten make-up work

• I have a feeling DS signed you up for the pie thing, lol. And I would have time to make one if by "make one" you mean "go to the grocery store and then slip the pie out of its plastic container and into my cute pie plate." No clue on makeup work for a kindergartener.

• K3am said:
    No one says you have to make the pie.. Marie Calendar's has some pretty good pies you can pick up for $5.99. 

But does EVERYONE have to bring pie? That just sounds like a lot of pie. 
    No.  Just the kindergarteners and first graders.  There are 3 dinners, and two grades are assigned pie with each dinner. 

I really didn't mean to complain that much about the pie.  It isn't that big of a deal.   I am just frustrated with my own learning curve with DS starting school.  Like the make-up work, the spaghetti dinner was just another thing that I was supposed to "know" about. 
  • Loading the player...
  • alli2672alli2672 member
    edited September 2014
    Buy a pie. I'd probably ask the teacher about the work - is there a class website or email?

Yeah.  No website, but I will ask her at drop-off tomorrow.  

I don't know why I was so thrown off.  I want to be on top of things with DS's school, and it just doesn't seem to be working out.  I didn't even have him do his homework the first few days because I didn't realize he had any.   

• Yes, I would do the worksheets when you have time. Just buy the pie.
  • alli2672 said:
    Buy a pie. I'd probably ask the teacher about the work - is there a class website or email?

Yeah.  No website, but I will ask her at drop-off tomorrow.  

I don't know why I was so thrown off.  I want to be on top of things with DS's school, and it just doesn't seem to be working out.  I didn't even have him do his homework the first few days because I didn't realize he had any.   

I bet you are not alone. Is there a back to school night scheduled or did they send out a welcome letter? If not, ask the teacher for more orientation info.
  • Our Jr Kindy has "homework" sheets for missed days. It's optional in case we want to go over it with DS at home.
  • Team Buy The Pie
  • I agree with emailing to let the teacher know that you're not sure what your supposed to do with the take home work and upcoming calendar events.  There's a good chance that other parents feel the same way and the teacher just doesn't know that they aren't communicating these things well. 

Also, I'd just buy a pie!  
    TTC #1 9/11-12/12, 9/12 Dx: Hypothyroid + DOR (AMH .76), IUI #1 & #2 BFN's
    1/13 Decided to pursue DIA, 4/13 Home study Approved 9/13 Matched!
    10/13 DS home with us! 2/14 TPR completed  5/14 ADOPTION IS FINAL!
    3/14 Surprise BFP 11/14 DD is here!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'd ask the teacher about the make up work expectation (probably not the only time you'll run into it).

I'd be buying the pie even if I knew about it weeks in advance.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• We aren't even allowed to send homemade good to school due to allergies, so definitely buy the pie.

I am with you though, DS just started kindergarten and I'm learning everything on the fly and feel like I'm not keeping up most days.  :(
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• DS has missed a few days of school already for stomach issues. We usually have a few worksheets to make up, but we don't always get them back right away.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • alli2672alli2672 member
    edited September 2014
    It's good to know that other people feel a little disorganized with this stuff :) 
    I talked to his teacher and she said that he could do the work or not, but just wanted me to have it in case he was interested. 

My mom got me some pillsbury crust to make the pie.  I have some frozen blueberries, so it should only take a few minutes to put together.  Although now I want a cream cheese and strawberry pie.  I have never made anything like taht, but it sounds delicious.
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
  • DS missed two days of school and they just made up the work on the day he went back.
    I just found out he had home work last Thursday. There was a scribbled-on paper lunch sack in his folder and I just assumed it was "art", so I just put it with his other "art". I found out from another mom tonight that he was supposed to take it back to school with objects starting with that week's letter. He had one again tonight. If I hadn't talked to her, I would have just thought it was yet more "art" and for the second week in a row, he'd be the only kid who didn't bring his back.

I am also frustrated with the learning curve, as you put it, and this is our second year at this school. We get a lot of "It's XYZ time of year again! Friday 6pm" UM, what the heck is XYZ? Some explanation would be nice. And they wonder why there is always low participation from the younger grades.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"