Trouble TTC

Spotting after Clomid Question

Hey ladies - I'm kind of new to this site and was hoping for some advise. I have been TTC for about 2 years now. I was diagnosed with PCOS and have been taking Metformin to help with the symptoms. In August I was finally able to move on with other medications. My doctor decided to start me on clomid, so in August I took my first dose on days 5 - 9, there was no activity so I was given another round of clomid from day 16 to 20, still no activity so was given a third dose on day 26 to 30. However, during the last dose AF made an appearance.  I went back to the doctor and was told that I did not respond to the clomid. Since my appointment was after AF, my doctor said to wait out the rest of the month and would start femara during my next cycle (end of September). So today I starting spotting.   I'm kind of afraid to call my doctor because I don't want anything to delay starting my next cycle. Has this happened to anyone? Do you guys think the multiple doses of clomid messed up my cycle?

Re: Spotting after Clomid Question

• I agree with Hmgavin, I've never heard of three doses in one cycle.
  • Is your doctor an OBGYN or an RE? I've never heard of 3 Clomid doses, especially because typically O-ing after CD21 gives lower chances of a healthy egg and implantation, so not sure why your doctor didn't wait it out after the second dose and then bring on AF with Provera if needed to start the next cycle. 

Do you mean that you've started mid-cycle spotting, or is this next period just coming a bit earlier than expected? It sounds like the next step is to wait for CD1 (red flow), schedule CD3 monitoring, and then start your Femara prescription if all looks good.

If you have some worrying mid-cycle bleeding, I would call the office and let them know, and then they could decide if it warrants a check.

So sorry that Clomid didn't give you a response, but I hope Femara does the trick. And I hope your next AF comes properly!!
    January 3T Siggy Challenge - New Year's Resolutions
    imageimage

Me (29), DH (30) TTC actively 54 55+ cycles | All BFNs
    MFI (low everything) | Endo Stage 1 & Stenotic Cervix (treated) | PCO
    Married - July 2008 | Started TTC - Jan 2009RE Visit #1 - Mar 2014 
    IUI #1 ICI #1 - June | IUI #1.1 Laparoscopy - Aug
    IUIs #1.2, 2, 3 - Sept, Oct, Nov (Letrozole) - BFNs 
    IUI #4 - Dec (Bravelle) | IUI #5 - Dec/Jan (Bravelle) - 5 follies + TI - BFNs
    IUI #5.1 - Jan (Bravelle) Cancelled 
    Planning to start IVF in March!
    ***All Welcome***
  • Loading the player...
  • Wow that sounds really dangerous. I second/third/whatever all of what PPs have said.
    Love 2010 | Marriage 2011 | TTC #1 since 2012
    PCOS | Anovulatory | Metformin + Letrozole
  • Agreed with others, never heard of taking Clomid 3 times in one cycle. I actually thought I read your post wrong. Hopefully you get some answers, but listen to the others, that doesn't sound right to me.

TTC #1

Me: AMA, DH: MFI

Official DX - MFI due to Hemochromatosis

IVF #1 Nov. 2014 - ER 11/10 (10R 6M 6F) - ET 11/13 

3DT of 3 embies - no frosties - CP = BFFN!!!!

****All Welcome****

imageimage

• Thanks for the replies ladies!

I have been seeing an RE. I guess taking Clomid 3 times in one cycle is called the stepping stone approach (or something like that.) I have PCOS so my follicles have a hard time maturing. I have had an HSG, Sonohysterogram and my hubby has had a SA, and everything came back good.

I ended up calling the doctor and they said not to be worried. The spotting lasted 3 days. If  it had lasted longer I would have had to gone in for blood work. AF ended up coming 4 days after that (which was early). I feel like all the Clomid definitely messed me up.

Started my Femara, now waiting for CD10 to see how everything looks. If all goes well, hopefully will have my first IUI.

• I've never heard of taking three rounds of Clomid in one cycle.   I sort of don't know what to think...at least they're not trying it with you again next cycle.  I hope you respond better to Femara and that your IUI is successful. 
  • Warning ... Back when I took clomid I had some spotting however I only took one round. I also experienced a lot of cramping as well. I later found out I had a chemical pregnancy that terminated itself before I even knew I was pg. I'm currently taking Femara with no success. Wondering if I should switch back to clomid since I got pg but surely do not wanna go through the same situation. It's so hard to know what to so sometimes. Hope you can figure it out.
  • ShaunteeShauntee member
    edited September 2014
    Like PP I have not heard of three rounds of Clomid in one cycle. When I took Clomid CD 5-9 I would not ovulate until anywhere from CD 17 to CD 21, so there still could have been a chance that you ovulated with the original dose. It very well could have messed with your cycle. I wish you luck on Femara.
    Me-33 DH-36.
    Married 11/10 TTC 11/10
    06/11- diagnosed with PCOS 
    7/11- D&C and benched for a year 
    9/12-4/13-6 rounds of 50 mg Clomid- no sucess 
    6/13- new doc
    7/13-4/14- 6 more rounds of Clomid. 50 mg and then stepped up to 100mg- no success 
    5/14-7/14- took break waiting for new insurance 
    7/14-new insurance= new doc- actually a RE!!!! 
    7/14-HSG and blood test good-PCOS confirmed by new doc 
    10/14 looking forward to 1st IUI w/ Menopur. Blood Test= Negative
    11/14- IUI #2
    w/ Menopur- Blood Test= Negative
    1/15- IUI # 3 w/
    Menopur- Blood Test= Negative
    2/15- Self Benched this cycle
    3/15/15-Suprise BFP on natural cycle!!!! EDD-11/16/15

• I had some weird spotting on my 4th round of clomid...I only took one round per cycle though, and I was taking 150 mg.  I started spotting the last day of clomid and I called my RE.  
    Me (29), DH (32)
    Aug 2011  - Married
    Jan 2013   - Started TTC
    Jan 2014   - OB started some testing 
                         - HSG - Normal
                         - Ultrasound - Normal
                         - SA - Normal, but tested positive for Ureaplasma
                         - Both of us on antibiotics to treat ureaplasma
                         - Blood work - progesterone: 15.9, TSH: 0.89, FT4: 1.2, Prolactin: 33.4 
    Feb 2014   - Endometrial Biopsy - Normal
    Mar 2014   - Prolactin: 22.9, referred to RE
    Apr 2014   - First RE appointment, put on medication for high prolactin levels 
                      - Clomid (50 mg) 1 follicle, Trigger shot - BFN
                      - Second SA - All Normal, borderline morph (5%) 
    May 2014   - Clomid (100mg) 2 follicles, Trigger shot - BFN
                      - blood work: Estradiol: 32.7, FSH: 5.3, Prolactin: 14.1
    June 2014  - IUI #1, Clomid (150 mg), 3 follicles, Trigger shot - BFN 
    July 2014   - IUI #2, Clomid (150 mg), 4 follicles, Trigger shot - BFN
    Aug 2014   - IUI #3, Femara 2.5, 3 follicles, Trigger shot (first time done by DH!!) - BFN
                      - Hysteroscopy - Normal
    Sept 2014 - IUI #4 Femara 2.5, 1 follicle, possibility of another one, Trigger shot - BFN
                       -Progesterone test 4 DPIUI - 7.8...started crinone.
    Oct 2014 - IUI #5 Follistim 150 3 possibly 4 follicles - Trigger Shot - BFN
    Oct/Nov 2014 - Follistim 150 with TI & Trigger shot - ???

**October Siggy Challenge**

I don't even know what he is supposed to be!

**EVERYONE WELCOME!! :)**

• Thanks for all the input! I ended up getting checked and it was nothing more than spotting. I was so embarrassed that I went in just for spotting. I was just go nervous because I never spotted before.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"