June 2014 Moms
Options

4 month sleep regression

Re: 4 month sleep regression

• Options
    @ireneweslee our boy is a night owl. When I try to put him down early he fights it. So he usually takes a nap around 7 then bed around 9:30-10. He only rests for half an hour or so. Have you tried the eat, play, sleep pattern? Your babe may just be a night owl too.. But I hope you get some sleep soon. We resorted to bed sharing when we got so sleep deprived- not sure if you are confortable with that but maybe if she sees you guys going to sleep she will catch on!? GL.
    First time mommy-to-be
    E.D.D. June 1, 2014

• Options
    JmeJoLee83JmeJoLee83 member
    edited September 2014
    Could it be reflux keeping her up or waking her? I'm dealing with that and LO likes to fall asleep on his tummy. Just a thought @ireneweslee
    First time mommy-to-be
    E.D.D. June 1, 2014

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    going through this with my son also. glad to know i'm not alone. i have a older LO but i just forgot or blocked a lot of these things out LOL
  • Options

H&H2014 said:

Have you tried an earlier bedtime? We've been putting her to sleep between 6-7:30 and she's waking up every two hours... Not ideal but better than it was.

We have tried everywhere from 7-1030. So far the 1030 works the best but sometimes she gets overtired by then so we pushed it up a little. We think she got used to us rocking her. People have been telling us to do the cry it out method... But it's so hard... She can easily cry over an hr.

I started reading the No Cry Sleep Solution today. It's a hard transition, I always nurse her - even during the last few weeks that she's been up 5-6 times a night. Now I realize I may have created the association of needing the boob or to be thoroughly rocked to sleep. We started tonight trying to break from this but it's going to be super hard.
  • Options
    @JmeJoLee83‌ She doesnt have reflux so that shouldnt be a problem. She usually passes out around 8 and we have to really try to wake her and she basically wont let us out her down.

But good news! Last night we tried the CIO method. She started getting tired around 8 so we put her in her crib (no bath or bottle yet). Shr cried for about 45 mins and finally fell asleep at around 845. Then she woke herself up around 930 so we picked her up, gave her a bath and the bottle. She passed out after the bottle and basically slept the whole night. We had to go in 4 times to give her the paci and give a little pressure on her tummy. We also fed her around 130 but it was more like a dream feed. She woke up at 730 this morning and was a happy and alert baby. The 45 mins that she cried was torturing for both H and I. We didnt talk to each other at all and just hoped that it will be over soon. I thought my hour of pushing during delivery was long but it was nothing compared to listening to E crying helplessly for mommy and daddy.

Tonight was kind of the same. She cried for about 30 min this time while we were having dinner. I dont think either of us really ate much watching the baby monitor. She is now sound asleep and I hope this crying will get shorter and shorter each day.
  • Options
    H&H2014 said:

I started reading the No Cry Sleep Solution today. It's a hard transition, I always nurse her - even during the last few weeks that she's been up 5-6 times a night. Now I realize I may have created the association of needing the boob or to be thoroughly rocked to sleep. We started tonight trying to break from this but it's going to be super hard.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! I know there is no one solution fits all. We can just keep trying until something works.
  • Options
    I know most people dont agree with the CIO method but I would not have tried it if I had not run out of ways to soothe her and help her sleep. She slept through the night two nights in a row and is a happy baby during the day because she is not too tired. While you think that I am selfish and just wants more sleep, E was sleeping only 8-10 a day for a while month. If letting her cry for 30-45 mins for 2 nights can help her go back to her regular sleep pattern and make her a happy baby, I am willing to take the blame.
  • Options
    JmeJoLee83JmeJoLee83 member
    edited September 2014
    @irenewslee‌ you have to do what works for your family...books don't have a one size fits all solution. GL.
    First time mommy-to-be
    E.D.D. June 1, 2014

• Options
    @ireneweslee I think it's clear you love your baby, and I know you've been looking for a solution for awhile. Baby will be fine...glad you've worked things out!
  • Options
    Thank you ladies. I totally understand what your concern is and I honestly would have thought the same if I hear some other moms do it. I am still not an advocate for the CIO method but I can honestly say that we run out of ways to help her sleep. We called the pedi multiple times to ask for advice, took her on a car ride at 3am, rock her, nurse her, you name it. Maybe she is out of her "phase" now and this is just a coincident that it worked. I dont know but hopefully this last and no more crying tonight.
  • Options
    I think we are in the middle of this sleep regression.  LO went from sleeping 7 to 9 hours on the first stretch to 6 hours at best... she is also going to sleep earlier than before so she wakes up a couple hours after i have gone to bed.  I hope this doesn't last long.  I want my sleepy baby back.
  • Options
    She is sleeping 6 hours at best but usually only 4 hours on her first stretch.  I know this may seem like alot compared to others, but its a regression for us.  

I think i read on one of the other threads that someones baby is sleeping 12 hours straight & has done so from 8 weeks.  now that is lucky!
  • Options
    We're still in the think of this, it's been about three weeks now. LO was sleeping 7-8 hour stretches, but now he's down to 3-4, waking up every 2 after that first stretch. And I go back to work on Monday, so I'm not thrilled.
  • Options
    I'm sorry, but lol. Give me a break (again).

image        image

• Options
    lest12 said:

I'm sorry, but lol. Give me a break (again).

This isn't a competition on who has it the worst... how rude of you to comment unnecessarily.
  • Options
    This is a thread about sleep regressions. .I posted about my lo's sleep regression. I am not going to apologize for having a different situation than others.

You obviously have too much time on your hands if you are worried about why I post what I post.

Move on. This isn't about you. This is a thread about sleep regressions
  • Options
    @brighteyes112 - I should spend more time with LO. A baby needs his mom!

image        image

• Options
    Just when I thought it couldn't get much worse, babe has been consistently adding another wakeup. The child goes to bed at like 930-10. She has started waking up at 11:45. WHAT?? The first time it happened I woke up and didn't look at the clock, nursed her, and put her back. Then I looked at the clock and realized I had been asleep for a half an hour and it wasn't her normal 1:30 wakeup. 

So now we're at about 11:45, 2, and 530. I wake up and leave at around 6 and she sleeps til 8 or so. I'm really hoping this is the last addition she decides to make.
  • Options
    H started getting up 1-2 hours after being put down then up again around 4, then 6- which wouldnt be terrible if it didnt take almost an hour to get him back to sleep.
    November D16  Siggy Challenge-Thanksgiving Fails

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Lcgroenewe‌ oddly putting our LO down earlier like 8 really helped us when we were having a similar problem. I don't know how or why but it helped him sleep longer and later.
  • Options
    Did your guys LO start their sleep regression right at 4 months or alittle before? My DS went through a spurt of bad sleep a little before 16 weeks. I hope that was it.
  • Options
    Mine started at 14w.

image        image

• Options
    We are 15 weeks and in the start of it. Suddenly he is napping like a champ (up until now we got maybe 3 hours over the course of the day) and eating better. We are getting up earlier, harder to put down and added in 2 feedings that were previously dropped. I'm not sure I should be feeding him when he gets up but by the time I wake up and make it to the nursery he is screaming and I can't calm him down.

DH said to me today that he must be over "that sleep problem" because last night he slept well after not napping all day, and today he went 3 hours without eating and took a good afternoon nap. 
    BFP: July 2013 M/C August 5, 2013
    BFP: October 22, 2013 EDD: June 21, 2014
    Baby boy arrived June 23, 2014

BFP: February 2016 EDD: October 17, 2016
  • Options
    kaysa2 said:

@Lcgroenewe‌ oddly putting our LO down earlier like 8 really helped us when we were having a similar problem. I don't know how or why but it helped him sleep longer and later.

I've read about this.  Sleep begets sleep is apparently the motto.  Worked with DD too!

I have heard the same. So I just follow her cue. If that means she wants to be in bed by 6pm, then thats what time we go to bed. Usually its between 7pm and 11pm that she will officially be down for the night. I notice her start to cluster feed a TON wanting 3-4oz every hour right before she goes down officially for the night. So once she feels she is full and satisfied enough, she sleeps a good 7-11 hours at night. Obviously if she goes to bed at 6 or 7pm though, then she will be up at 3-4am for a feed then will go back down for another 4 hours before she is up for two or so hours then back down for another 2 hours. But I am just following her que. Im not about fighting these sleep problems haha. Hoping it continues to work for us and i didnt just jinx it *fingers crossed*
  • Options
    amackattackamackattack member
    edited October 2014
    I've read about this.  Sleep begets sleep is apparently the motto.  Worked with DD too!
    Thanks ladies! I did try this for a few days. Babe woke up a HALF AN HOUR after I put her down. It didn't quite seem to help us but I will certainly keep playing with the timing and see if I can find something that works. I think asleep by nine will be ideal for us since we need her to sleep til 8AM....so that puts her in bed a half an hour-50 minutes earlier. Also, her last nap is at like 5:30 or 6. I always expect her to sleep through during this nap but she always wakes up ready to play for a few more hours. I think she's on a bit later schedule because she sleeps later. 

We tried a few things last night that are no-no's that did seem to help: 1) wrapped her arms again in her summer baby wrap sack. She has rolled from back to front before while awake. She sleeps in a pack in play next to our bed so we hear pretty much all her movements, but I know this is a no no. I am going to order a zipadeezip or whatever! She's just not ready to be unwrapped. 2) We put rolled up A&A blankets on either side of her to kind of snuggle her in. I know this is also a no no...but they're breatheable at least? 

Babe went to sleep at 9 and woke up at 9:30, 2, and 5:30. This is on par or slightly better than we've been getting. Saturday night she basically woke up every half an hour until 4AM :(
  • Options
    Oh my gosh how depressing that it's me again on this thread. I keep thinking it won't get worse and then it does. She has started waking up about a half an hour and 2 or so hours after she falls asleep and is completely inconsolable. She just screams for seemingly no reason and refuses to nurse. I have never ever seen her do this, she has never had any signs of colic, she is 4 months, I have no idea what is happening. So far the only thing that seems to calm her is fixing a bottle. I put her to sleep before 9 last night...and she slept until 10AM the past 3 days so before 9 is very early for her. She will calm with extremely loud shushing directly in her ear and rocking vertically, and will cry when you put her down unless she falls asleep during a bottle. Then once she actually gets a good stretch she will wake up like normal to nurse. Could it possibly be an ear infection?

She's getting her shots today and it's H's turn to take her to the doctor. So so sad, wish I could be there, feel like I am totally failing her in some way and missing something obvious.
  • Options
    For those who started bed-sharing during the 4-month regression… have you tried moving away from that after the phase ended, and if so, how did it go?
    We're in the thick of it, baby waking up constantly and refusing to go back to sleep in the crib. The only thing that will make her go back to sleep is to sleep with me in the bed. Is this something we can do temporarily without it becoming a bad habit so she never wants to go back to the crib? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I would love an answer to enjaye316's question too. 

Little man was sleeping like a champ, through the night in his crib at 4 weeks, and I kept my mouth shut about it lest I be smited by the baby sleep gods. Now, the only way to get him to sleep is to bring him into the bed with us.  He hulks out the second he hits the crib sheets.  I have no other plan to get sleep except to bedshare.  I am worried about transitioning back if/when this ever ends....which I pray to god is soon. 

Anyone transitioned back to the crib yet? 

• Options
    We've been putting her in the crib for the first stretch and then either the Rock n' Play or in bed with us to get her back to sleep. I really try to avoid putting her in bed with us. I love the snuggles, but I don't sleep as well.
  • Options
    My older daughter came into my bed at 4 months and didn't leave until 18 months. It's hard.
  • Options
    I feel like an idiot. So babe did have a double ear infection. I feel awful we didn't catch it sooner but thankful there is a reason for the crazy wake ups. Hopefully her meds will make her feel better and we will go back to the regression we were used to!
  • Options
    @Lcgroenewe‌ poor baby! Hope she's feeling better soon!
    First time mommy-to-be
    E.D.D. June 1, 2014

• Options
    @Lcgroenewe‌ :( Hope she feels better!

image        image

• Options
    I guess ours started today -hello 2am :( Here I was SO excited to find little man had rolled to his front this morning, yet now I've got a baby who is impossible to put down on top of him getting stuck from rolling over. Anybody else have this? Hoping he figures out how to flip in his sleep soon...

J14 Jan Siggy Challenge: Santorini

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    irenewsleeirenewslee member
    edited October 2014
    @ugabamafans‌ LO started rolling back to front about 3 weeks ago and her sleep was disrupted (on top of the regression that started over a month ago). She was really bothered when she couldnt flip to her back and would start screaming in the motn. It took another 2 weeks before she learned to roll from front to back. Ever since then she has been pretty calm as she can find her own comfortable position to sleep in. I still need to get up 2-3 times a night but at least she is not frustrated and can be soothed back to sleep. Before it used to take us at least an hr to put her back every time she woke up crying. @Lcgroenewe‌ Hope your LO gets better soon and that you can get some rest too!
  • Options
    Since the four month regression we've only been able to put her down in the rnp. I keep trying the bassinet but the minute you put her flat her eyes open and if we don't pick her up she cries.

How so you transition out of the rnp?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"