3rd Trimester
Options

Question, re: water breaking - deciding factor to go in L&D?

Hi,
I am 40 weeks plus a day today. I know regardless of the advice/experiences I probably will end up going to to get checked out at labour and delivery. (doesn't really help that my DH is always wants to check and make sure everything is ok).

But...

Has anyone had their water break but in slow leaks? What was a major deciding factor that lead you to go in and get it checked?

I ask because I have been into the labour and delivery 2 times already. Both times I felt wet and turns out it was not my water but just sweat one time and the other time it was just extra discharge.

This am I woke up at 445am to go to the washroom. But when I woke up my whole bum area was soaked. Even the pregnancy pillow that I sleep with was wet, and the bed. (which is not normal) I went to the washroom, then changed underwear and went back to sleep thinking it was caused by sweat. (I went to open the window to get the cold air in... found the window was already wide open.) I woke up again at 8, again my underwear was wet. Went to the bathroom, did my normal business but there was no extra leaks after peeing. Unless I really bear down.
Its now after lunch and since this 8am I have been using one panity liner. And there hasn't been any signs of wetness. Just a bit but I think that is caused by sweat.

Has this happened to anyone else? Since the last time I went into labour and delivery... the nurses was all like " you will know...your underwear would be soaked and it wouldn't stop... in rare cases it would stop if only the baby's head is down so low blocking the water from escaping"

Basically I've tried doing searches and every comment has always been, your water gushes out, and doesn't stop.
Just kinda would like to know what others experiences has been?
Thanks in advance

Re: Question, re: water breaking - deciding factor to go in L&D?

• Options
    Mine didn't gush. I had a small leak and it felt like water dripping. My leak was also higher up so it wasn't constant. Go get checked if you think that's what's happening. Good luck.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    You described pretty much exactly what happened with my son. I woke up with wet pajama shorts, but no gush, no stream, no super noticabke leak, and no contractions. I had heard the "you'll know when your water breaks" thing, too, so I didn't call my OB or go in to L&D for like 8 hours. By the time they checked and realized my water had broken, we only had about 13 hours left in the 24 hour window in which they like to have your baby delivered after your water breaks. So when in doubt, I say go in. :)
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would call your OB and wait for them to advise you on when to go to L & D. 
  • Options
    Sounds like what happened to me. I woke up at 4:30 in the morning with irregular contractions and a slow leak. At my SIL's urging, DH and I went into L & D around 12 pm to have the leak checked out. I signed in, changed into the paper dress and sat down on the examination table. Not more than 10 seconds later, my water broke. Huge gush onto the table and floor. I was 40w 4d.

Given how far along you are, I'd head into L&D.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Update, I went in, they did the swab test, it was positive. However the fern (slide test) was negative. The dr said to put on another pad and then they would do another test an hour later.
    Went out walking, came back in, it was positive. Dr said to come back in 3 hrs to check the NST (since baby is fine - no issues) and hopefully labour will start on its own.
    I went back in 3 hours later (my underwear is still a bit wet from small leaks) L&D had a new dr on the floor. The dr did a test and said since the fern (slide) was negative they feel it didn't break. Dispite what the previous dr said and the swab showing a positive. They said the swab is inconclusive if you have a lot of mucus (which earlier in the day when the dr did the examination said there was none).
    They sent me home saying to wait it out. Now the hospital is all for a natural birth however my DH and I both feel this isn't right....
    I'm going to take a quick shower then lay down and hopefully more leaks will happen. Regardless... we will be heading back in the am to meet with the OBGYN to check on the baby again as well as get the ball rolling.
    So much for free medical care... sometimes I wish we had to pay for it... this way we wouldn't have to deal with various of drs and crap....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"