Attachment Parenting

Do you set your baby down? Where?

I have a 4 month old who is getting too heavy for me to carry all the time. He doesn't do well in the carrier while we're around the house - he has to be moving if he's in it. Right now the only place I can put him down is his pack n' play, his crib, or the floor. He's getting bored with all of these (but maybe soon he'll like toys more?) and if I'm not interacting with him, I'd like for him to be doing...something. He'll be getting a high chair in a few months, so I plan to talk with him or give him toys in that, but what else? The usual suspects (swings, floor gyms, etc.) make me feel guilty for just letting him sit there - plus we've skipped them up to this point both for budget and space reasons. Thanks! 

Re: Do you set your baby down? Where?

• Baby gyms are great, one of my twins can spend a long time staring at and grabbing the dangling toys, the other gets bored after 5 min.

At this age anything that allows them to move freely, using their own bodies is good, it helps build strength and coordination. I put mine on the floor on an activity mat either on their backs or tummies as well.
  • I would definitely not wait to get a high chair.  By 4 months we had ours set up and he joined us at every meal he was awake for.  I'm a big proponent of that because it helps them become involved in the social aspect of eating, but also includes them in the "eating" process.  So they understand that meal times are when you eat.

But that's not really responsive to your question since we didn't really set him down in there other than mealtimes.  We used a pack and play, a floor gym, or a blanket in front of the mirror at that age.  For showers it was the bouncer.   I never felt guilty for using those tools, because it's not like he was in the bouncer or the floor gym for hours.   At four months he will start being more interested in toys, but because he can't sit and may not be rolling yet, he won't be able to get at them unless they are within arms reach.  Both the bouncer and floor gym have hanging toys which give him something to reach for.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • What are you using to carry your baby @MrsMFEO? Interesting thread, jumping in!
  • Don't feel guilty for setting him down in something for a brief time!  By 4 months, he'll want to occasionally be in a space where he can move his arms and legs in relation to his body.  He'll want to look around.  Being close to you in a carrier is a good thing.  But being in a bouncy seat, on the floor on a play mat or blanket, or in a swing occasionally is a good thing too!  It will help him learn about movement and about the things around him.

He's giving you signs that he's ready for this!
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • We have a bouncy seat and a playmat. I will definitely be setting LO down. I'll wear him a lot too, but when I'm snuggling DS1 to sleep or using the restroom or showering or (insert any number of scenarios here), he'll be set down somewhere safe and fun. :)
    imageimage
  • We used lots of things, but she mostly wanted to be carried.  We did a lot of babywearing, and learning to do stuff one handed, honestly.  But when we had to put her down, we did.  Jumperoo at the appropriate age, swing for a little while, it varied with what she would tolerate for more than two minutes.

You kinda just do what you have to in order to get by. 

But I would highly recommend baby wearing.  And keep carrying the baby - it does make you stronger if you keep carrying baby!  (It just takes time, and you have to learn how to do it ergonomically, which carriers can really help with, espeically once you can do a back carry.)
    IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My son was one who wanted to be down in the floor exploring, kicking, and moving. He didn't want to be worn or held all the time. Give your LO some space and let him play on the floor, in a bouncy seat, or swing. That will enable you to have a bit of personal space too. I found that I needed that. Both of us getting a bit of space made for a happy baby and happy mama!
  • Thanks all! This made me feel a thousand times better! To be clear: he does always have toys - a mirror and mobile and some little things in the crib (for playtime, not sleep, don't worry), and the pack n play does have a gym above it. I switch out the dangling toys periodically and he grabs at them. We also have floor time with a rattle, ball, peekaboo, books, stuffed animals etc. He does also sit on out lap for dinner already-for the same reasons mentioned. I wanted the chair so he can sit while I work in the kitchen. So sounds like many of your suggestions we're doing. :)

I saw some sitting gyms that have a lot to do, and DH is convinced he needs one of those jumpers that hang from the door... Looks like that sort of thing and the high chair are next on our list. I think it's hard for my brain to realize he may enjoy new toys or a bigger play gym as much as he likes just hanging out looking at us. They grow so fast!

We have the ergo, it's the only one he likes. I'm going to try it today to see if he's ready to sit still in it.
  • We had a swing and a bouncy/vibrating chair (both bought second hand, I think we paid $65 and $5 respectively) and LO loved both. The swing was great if I was trying to get something done and LO wanted to sleep, and the chair was great because I could take her with me and set her to so she can watch what I'm doing, and the vibration would soothe her if she started to get antsy.
  • My LO is pretty large and outgrew his swing and bouncy seat early so we traded them up at a baby consignment store for a exersaucer ($49 instead of $110 at target) and a door jumper which we installed a hook to hang it to the side so it's out of the way. He loves both but only for 5-10 minutes at a time which is long enough to give my arms a rest and possibly get a chore accomplished.
  • wow, I couldn't imagine carrying all day. Tho i probably do carry one of the triplets most of the time! swing, play mat,, bouncers, jumperoos, sitting on soft mats, tummy time...they love it!

No periods due to 17 years of ballet and distance running after college.  Zero response to 2 months of Clomid, little response to Letrozole.  IUI left with 9 cysts = too many viable eggs due to age.  On to IVF.  Low dose of all meds still produced 37 mature eggs 12.6.11.  Froze due to overstimulation.  

FET #1.1 1.22.12 BFN.   FET #1.2 2.22.12=GRACE! (and a vanishing twin).  

Grace Katherine born 10.25.12 @ 36w6w 6#14oz 19.5".
    FET #1.3 3.2013 BFN FET#1.4 4.2013 BFN. Never tried a fresh transfer.  Let's try, despite 10 still frozen.  
    ER 6.26.13 27 mature eggs, slight overstim. ET   7.1.13 ectopic, FET 2.1  9.10.14   TRIPLETS!!  

Boys born 3.18.14 @ 29w5d.  Andrew Jack 3#6oz 16", Grant Robert 3#9oz 16", Charles Phillip 3#7oz 17".

• Don't get a jumpy thing, they are not good for their hips and overall physical development.

Just one article on the subject but there are tons out there. :)

https://www.livestrong.com/article/286964-development-infant-jumpers/#page=1
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"