Chit Chat
Options

Upgrading wedding ring question

DH & I have been married for 10 years, I love the wedding ring that he gave to me, to me it's the perfect size to feel comfortable wearing everyday and it has sentimental value to me. The problem is that he now has a very prominent career- we own a very successful business & he is very involved in the community. At business conferences, awards banquets, etc we are around other very prominent people and their wives have all upgraded their wedding rings to huge flashy rings. DH wants to upgrade my wedding ring to a bigger, more flashy one so that I fit in with these wives when we are at these functions. I am NOT a "keep up with the Jones'" person and could care less but I understand that it is a status thing reflection on him. He suggested getting a 2nd big wedding ring for me to wear to these functions and keep my original one for everyday wear. I like that compromise but I have a hard time spending $15-20K on a ring that I will only wear occassionally. I can think of way better places to spend that money.
Would it be bad to get a fake big flashy wedding looking ring to wear at these functions? It would only be worn 10-15 times a year so wouldn't see much abuse and should last just fine. I was thinking of the higher end (??) fake ones that QVC & HSN sell. I haven't mentioned it to DH yet but I think he would like the compromise as long as it looked good. We both hate "keep up" type things but in the business world, sometimes you have to play that game.
Any thoughts???   

Something like this............https://www.qvc.com/Epiphany-Diamonique-3-Stone-Emerald-Halo-Ring.product.J317992.html?sc=J317992-&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-23-_-J317992&catentryImage=https://images.qvc.com/is/image/j/92/j317992.001?$uslarge$

Re: Upgrading wedding ring question

• Options
    Put the diamond from your original ring in a necklace and get a new bigger ring
  • Options
    I personally wouldn't do any sort of upgrade. Sentimental value far outweighs appearances in my book. I love my small engagement ring and simple gold wedding band even though everyone I work with has boulders on their fingers. Could I upgrade? Yes. Would I ever? No, because knowing that my DH picked out this set for me means more than a large status symbol ever would. (I understand that upgrading is important to some people, and I see nothing wrong with that...it works for some people but doesn't for me so this is just my $0.02)

If the appearances are going to impact DH's business standing with these people, I really like your idea of going for a large fake stone. It seems like a good compromise. GL making your decision! 

~*~
    Together since 03/27/2007
    Married 07/20/2013

BFP #1 01/18/2014, EDD 09/26/2014, Team Green
    DD born 09/21/2014

image image 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with @BethanyAnn27. My set was picked out by my DH and my engagement ring is *very unique*. I've searched and searched and have never been able to find another like it. Every jeweler that has ever seen it, oohs and ahhhs over it. I would never consider upgrading just to "keep up with the Jones" as you said. There is something very respectable and classy about a lady that wants to keep the sentimental things in her life instead of trying to impress the world. 
    Talk to your DH about your feelings and go with the excellent idea of the fake rock. Best of luck!
    1/19/15 - Officially Team Blue! 
    "Victory is paid for in sweat, courage, and preparation!"
  • Options
    DesignermommaDesignermomma member
    edited February 2015
    I think the fake rock idea is great! Could he write this off as a business expense? :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"