Infertility
Options

Progesterone Reaction Maybe?

I started a new vial of progesterone in ethyl oleate yesterday and after the shot noticed my chest got a little tight. I also experienced some coughing for a few min after.

Today, as soon as Mr started the injection, I could taste it in the back of my mouth, my chest got tight and I started coughing for a good 10 min after.

I have a call into my RN, but have y'all heard of anything like this? I did not experience any of these issues with the other vial. TIA!
**Signature Warning**

Dx PCOS August 2012
Clomid x4 = BFN
Femara+Follistim IUIs x 6 = 3 BFN, 2 C/P, 1 early miscarriage
IVF June 2014- 43 R, 34 M, 24 F, 12 blasts frozen and severe OHSS
FET September 12, 2014!
Beta #1 12dp5dt- 724
Beta #2 14dp5dt- 1631
Beta #3 20dp5dt- 12,813
Pending EDD at first OB appointment 11/6. Grow babies grow!

"I might have to wait. I'll never give up. I guess it's half timing, and the other half's luck. 
Wherever you are, whenever it's right, you'll come out of nowhere and into my life." ~ Michael Buble

Re: Progesterone Reaction Maybe?

• Options

******SIGNATURE & TICKER WARNING******

It might be the progesterone in ethyl oleate.  My previous cycles I was on 1cc of progesterone in EO plus Endometrin and was ok (had some coughing after a couple of the shots but nothing major, thought it was something to do with the position I was in when DH gave it to me) but this past cycle I was on 2cc and I began getting SEVERE uncontrollable coughing after about 30% of the shots. I ended up doing some googling and found out that this is something that happens to bodybuilders quite often when using ethyl oleate based steroids. I told my nurse about it – she had never heard of that type of reaction but switched me to sesame oil. It obviously was the ethyl oleate because I didn’t have one single episode of coughing after switching. Also oddly enough, I didn’t have the soreness from the sesame oil that I had from the ethyl oleate. I know I am an exception though as most people have more discomfort from sesame oil. 

***SIGNATURE WARNING***

TTC #1

Me 42, DH 47

Dx = AMA/DOR, MFI

IVF/ICSI #1 = BFN

IVF/ICSI #2 = BFP; early loss

IVF/ICSI #3 (DE) = BFP; early loss

FET = BFN

IVF/ICSI #4 (DE w/ CCS) = BFP

Beta #1 @ 10dp6dt = 265; Beta #2 @ 14dp6dt = 1251. 

1st U/S @ 6w2d showed one perfect little heartbeat! 

2nd U/S @ 7w2d. HB 132 & everything measuring on track.

Our beautiful little girl arrived January 2015!

• Options
    Doc called and wants to discontinue PIO, since he isn't sure if it's the compound or the progesterone and doesn't want a reaction that could be worse tomorrow. I'll start crinone tomorrow 2x a day.

Thanks for the responses!
    **Signature Warning**

Dx PCOS August 2012
    Clomid x4 = BFN
    FET September 12, 2014!
    Beta #1 12dp5dt- 724
    Beta #2 14dp5dt- 1631
    Beta #3 20dp5dt- 12,813

"I might have to wait. I'll never give up. I guess it's half timing, and the other half's luck. 
    Wherever you are, whenever it's right, you'll come out of nowhere and into my life." ~ Michael Buble

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yup, this also happened to me, and is still happening to me. I should probably call the doctor. My PIO is compounded with sesame, which is apparently a very common trigger. My problem is, LA is also in the middle of an unusual heat wave, and I'm not positive I'm not just having an allergic reaction to something in the air. But given that someone else has experienced this now, I think probably I should call my clinic.
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    19-year history of endometriosis. Multiple surgeries and cyst removals. Forced directly into IVF due to blocked tubes and severe adhesions.
    IVF w/ICSI and CCS #1 - Dec 2013 - Only 1 normal. Ended in CP
    IVF w/ICSI and CCS #2, at CCRM - March 2014!
    14R, 12 ICSI'd, 11F, 6 for CCS, 5 healthy blasts frozen!
    Two 5BB blasts transferred 9/10; First beta 9/19: 109; second beta 9/22: 550!
    EDD: 5/29/15

imageimage

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @airidh80‌ - I don't think it's a normal reaction. Good luck!
    **Signature Warning**

Dx PCOS August 2012
    Clomid x4 = BFN
    FET September 12, 2014!
    Beta #1 12dp5dt- 724
    Beta #2 14dp5dt- 1631
    Beta #3 20dp5dt- 12,813

• Options
    Yeah, they're gonna try the ethyl oleate compound, since mine was originally sesame.
    19-year history of endometriosis. Multiple surgeries and cyst removals. Forced directly into IVF due to blocked tubes and severe adhesions.

imageimage

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I'm going to go ahead and update this, in case anyone having this problem stumbles upon this in the future.

I started the progesterone in ethyl oleate on Wednesday; this morning, I had a really nasty reaction to the shot. My lungs seized harder than they have before, and I could not exhale without a massive coughing fit. I ended up at Urgent Care for a breathing treatment and IM antihistamines. 

My nurse at C.CR.M has called multiple specialty pharmacies, and they told her it's most likely a reaction to the benzyl alcohol used as a preservative in all the PIO formulations. So they're switching me to Prometrium, starting tomorrow. 

Oof. What a day.

imageimage

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Wow that sucks. Glad they found a solution and it hope you're doing better!
    TTC #2 since 2011 (took 1.5 years to conceive spontaneously after multiple failed clomid cycles and 1 failed clomid +IUI)
    Me- PCOS, borderline hypothyroid
    Him- low concentration/count

Feb 2014- started acupuncture
    Feb 2014- BFP
    March 2014- m/c @ 5 weeks
    May 2014- HSG, all clear, started Synthroid, Femara 5mg CD 3-7 + trigger + TI= BFN
    Waiting for new RE appointment end of July 2014

• Options
    Wow, that's an intense day. I'm on promethium and it's great that it's a pill instead of a shot ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    January & February: 2 IUIs, BFN
    March:  IUI, ectopic, 2 surgeries with 1 tube removed
    May - July: 3 more IUIs, all BFN, on to IVF
    August: IVF#1, BFN
    September:  FET#1, BFP!!!
    It's a girl!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @airidh80‌ - oh no. That is scary. So glad you are feeling better. I started the crinone Thursday and knock on wood, have not seen any bleeding so far. Good luck and

PR

Yeah for a great first beta! :)
    **Signature Warning**

Dx PCOS August 2012
    Clomid x4 = BFN
    FET September 12, 2014!
    Beta #1 12dp5dt- 724
    Beta #2 14dp5dt- 1631
    Beta #3 20dp5dt- 12,813

• Options
    Oh wow. I'm so glad that you're ok. How scary. I'm glad they found something that works for you.
    TTC since May 2012
    Me: 32 H: 31
    DX: MFI-Very Low Count, I have Hashimotos.
    IVF prep September 2013 cancelled due to Ovarian Cyst
    IVF #1 October 2013 Antagonistic Protocol with ICSI  ER 10/31/13 (18R 16M 11F- 6 blasts to freeze)
    ET delayed due to OHSS 
    FET scheduled for July 8. Delayed due to a crazy high TSH (it had been under control for YEARS!)
    FET #1 8/5/14 sET BFN 

All welcome!
  • Options
    Thanks, yeah, I just cannot catch a break with the progesterone. I picked up the Prometrium. It's less expensive than the PIO, which is nice, but I do have to lie down for 10 minutes after insertion. Not sure how that's going to fly at work.

imageimage

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @sweetpotato123‌ I had my FET (2embies) on 9/19/2014 and both took as well. Congrats to you! I found your post searching for anyone else who has the same weird symptoms as I do with progesterone in ethyl oleate. I can taste it and my chest gets tight and I cough. I'm going to call my RE and ask about it. I was on progesterone in sesame oil but I coughed worse and had red hot welts that were worse than my ethyl oleate welts. My due date is 6/10/2015. Congrats again to you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"