Multiples
Options

Colicky twins :-(

I went through 2 years of infertility treatments, an absolutely miserable pregnancy and now am dealing with colic. I am feeling at the end of my rope :-( . We have tried a few different formulas, but my 4month old boys are inconsolable. They have been screaming for hours on end since about 4 weeks. They wake every 1-3 hours at night (not at the same time). They hysterically scream hour after hour during the day. They nap (pass out) in 15 minute intervals. The hysteria and screaming is totally out of control. Trying to go anywhere in the car or stroller is an absolute nightmare.
I am so devastated. Things are SO horrible. I don't know what else I can do to console them. Nothing soothes them. I have a huge team of supportive family members helping around the clock, but I just cannot take the incessant screaming (around the clock) any more.
Also, I start back to work tomorrow!
Please; has anyone else dealt with colic X2?
Me:35,  DH: 39   
TTC since March 2011. All bloodword, SA & HSG are normal.  
8/12: Clomid & TI - BFN 
10/12: Colmid & TI - BFN 
3/13:  Clomid, Trigger & IUI - BFN 
4/13: Gonal F, Trigger & IUI: BFN  
6/13: IVF #1 (1AA blast & 1BB blast) = BFN 
8/13: FET #1= BFN
10/13: FET #2= BFP!!!

BabyFruit Ticker  image

Re: Colicky twins :-(

• Options
    Both of my girls had what we seemed like colic but actually turned out to be silent reflux for one and reflux for the other twin. Maybe go to your doctor and try a reflux medication because they could be in pain and not just colicky babies. Two days after we started the medication the crying toned down and now at 6 months they are happy content babies and we have stopped the medication. I know your post was about colic but we at first thought our silent reflux baby was just colicky but the poor thing was in pain. It's worth a try
  • Options
    Twins4kim, yes! You are definitely on to something!!
    My smaller boy started on omeprazole 3 weeks ago and it's been a life changer (kind of)! He is SO much happier eating! Both boys have never been spitter-uppers, but the little guy use to scream even while eating.
    Thank you :-)
    Me:35,  DH: 39   
    TTC since March 2011. All bloodword, SA & HSG are normal.  
    8/12: Clomid & TI - BFN 
    10/12: Colmid & TI - BFN 
    3/13:  Clomid, Trigger & IUI - BFN 
    4/13: Gonal F, Trigger & IUI: BFN  
    6/13: IVF #1 (1AA blast & 1BB blast) = BFN 
    8/13: FET #1= BFN
    10/13: FET #2= BFP!!!

BabyFruit Ticker  image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

So sorry to hear you're dealing with this. I can sympathize. One of my twins had colic, although part of the issue was a milk intolerance. Switching to soy fomula at 2 months helped a lot, although we still had to deal with a lot of crying, but he no longer seemed as distressed. He also had to be on zantac until he was a year old.

At 4 months, I would think colic would be subsiding and would definitely talk with your pediatrician about other issues that may be causing distress. ((hugs))

TTC since June 2009
    BFP #1 2/22/10 M/C 6w2d
    BFP #2 October 2010 CP
    BFP #3 1/11/11 M/C 8w5d
    IUI #1 Aug 2011= BFN
    IUI #2= BFP #4 9/18/11 missed M/C, D&C 10/18/11
    IUIs #3&4 = BFN
    IVF #1 May 2012 = BFP! Twins!!

Fraternal twins born Feb. 2013

Lilypie - (X78c)

• Options

Oh @AJC&Maggie, I have no earth shattering advice and have not been in those shoes, but just wanted offer you my condolences. The first few weeks/ months with twins is so hard especially on the heels of everything that IF and a rough pregnancy put you through. Definitely find out if there is reflux medicine or a change in formula that will help. Are they gassy? Dr Brown bottles were helpful for us as well as Gripe Water. Constipation? We added 2 oz of juice a day to help with irritable bowel issues. What about swaddling / sleep sacks / miracle merlin suits for sleeping? My girls hated lying flat and slept exclusively in RocknPlays until 6 months. Smaller, but more frequent feedings? Rice cereal in their bottles? Do they respond to being worn? White noise? Carried on belly instead of back? Going outside? Bounced on an Exercise ball? Separate them into different rooms? My girls feed off one another's screaming and we found everyone slept better when we separated them if one was crying.

This too shall pass. Everyone I know with a colicky baby (x1 of course) said that when they grow out of it they are the happiest, most pleasant creatures, you would never have known the rough beginning. I hope the turning point is around the corner for you.

Biggest ((HUGS)))

IVF #1 Sep '11 - canceled poor response

IVF #2 Nov '11  8R/8M/4F 3dt x2 - chemical

IVF #3 April '12  11R/6M/4F 3dt x2 - m/c

FET #1 Aug 2012  3dt x2 - BFN

**new RE**

IVF #4 Jan '13 BFN 11R/6M/6F 5dt x2 - BFN

IVF #5 July '13 16R/10M/10F 5dt x2 + 1 frostie

9dp5dt Beta 1 = 344!! 16dp5dt. Beta 2 = 4822 7wk u/s= 2 heartbeats!

Twin girls! 3/6/14

• Options
    zazu13 said:

Bounced on an Exercise ball?

Totally forgot about this. Bouncing on the exercise ball was a life saver! DH and I spent hours bouncing for the first few months. I think I had blocked out that memory!

TTC since June 2009
    BFP #1 2/22/10 M/C 6w2d
    BFP #2 October 2010 CP
    BFP #3 1/11/11 M/C 8w5d
    IUI #1 Aug 2011= BFN
    IUI #2= BFP #4 9/18/11 missed M/C, D&C 10/18/11
    IUIs #3&4 = BFN
    IVF #1 May 2012 = BFP! Twins!!

Fraternal twins born Feb. 2013

Lilypie - (X78c)

• Options
    YlvelillYlvelill member
    edited September 2014
    I am sorry you are dealing with this. Screaming babies are tough but hang in there. Mine are doing much better at 3 month after we got them on Zantec and elevated the head of their crib.
  • Options
    For reflux, look at refluxrebels.com. It's a great resource. I used it a bunch when dealing one of my boys - he had reflux and was on Zantac and slept in an RNP. I also wore him a lot.

He's a very happy kid now :). You'd never know he screamed for the for the first 3mo of his life.

• Options

Sending you ((hugs)). We were VERY fortunate that our twins were only truly colicky for about the first 8 weeks. I can't imagine 4 months of that. But they both also had reflux, which Zantac helped a lot.

Do you have RNPs? They were HUGE lifesavers for us and we could not have lived without them. Both of the babies were soothed by the rocking motion and we were usually eventually able to get them to sleep for a decent amount of time by rocking them to sleep (I know, not a habit that you necessarily want to get into and one that we had to “break” them of eventually, but you do what you have to do!).

I am so glad that you have a support system and I really hope things change for you soon. As tired as you will be, going back to work will probably give you a much needed break.

DX: DOR and MFI 

IVF w/ICSI brought us our 1st precious miracle

V born via induction 4.29.11

TTC #2: IVF (MDLF) August/September 2012

ER 9/7: 6R, 5M, 4F ET 9/12: 5dt of 2 blasts 

+HPT 9/17! Beta #1 (9/25) = 1,000 Beta #2 (9/27) = 1,860 U/S #1 (10/11)...TWINS!

1/8/13 - It's a..boy and a girl!!   

S&B born via induction 5.8.13

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"