3rd Trimester
Options

8 Months Pregnant Bridesmaid

I just recently found out that I am pregnant (only 5 weeks) and I have to order a bridesmaid dress for a wedding that I am standing in in April 2015.  With my calculations, I will be 8 months pregnant.  How many sizes bigger should I order the dress right now?

Re: 8 Months Pregnant Bridesmaid

• Options
    Call the bridal shop and talk to the seamstress.  Don't be intimidated if they get snippy, this is part of their job.  And don't be surprised if they don't do your alterations until the week of the wedding, that is also normal.  You may also want to confide in the bride, if she doesn't already know, so that if they recommend a maternity dress that isn't the exact style (color, etc), she can help pick something else out.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    When I got married my SIL was TTC so we looked for a dress that was also offered in maternity to accommodate her.  Their was actually a lot of choices.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Call the bridal shop and talk to the seamstress.  Don't be intimidated if they get snippy, this is part of their job.  And don't be surprised if they don't do your alterations until the week of the wedding, that is also normal.  You may also want to confide in the bride, if she doesn't already know, so that if they recommend a maternity dress that isn't the exact style (color, etc), she can help pick something else out.
    This.  I was in a wedding at 20 weeks and had to purchase another bridesmaid dress to accommodate my bump.  The bridal salon suggested going up two sizes (it was an empire waist, looser fitting dress), but I ended up swimming in it because it was so big and all they did was take in the waist and hem.  If you can find a similar dress in a maternity style, I would highly recommend going that route.

• Options
    nbateman5nbateman5 member
    edited September 2014
    Here's me in my bridesmaid dress at 6 1/2 months preggers, 29 weeks on Saturday.  I ordered 3 sizes up then had it taken in under my arm, a little at the belly and a little at the legs.  It fit perfect! Good luck!!

Oh and David's didn't have ANY maternity bridesmaid gowns that I knew of, so I felt better getting the same fitted dress as everyone else so I wouldn't feel like a whale in something flowy.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I found out I was pregnant one week AFTER I bought and paid for my bridesmaid dress for a girlfriends wedding. I bought the size I normally would. The 12 was a little snug and the 14 fit but a touch loose. I went with the 14 at that time. I was in the wedding at 7 months pregnant and the dress fit my bump just fine. I had it taken in a touch at the top around my boobs.

This is the style I had https://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Long-Strapless-Chiffon-Dress-with-Pleated-Bodice-F15555_Bridal-Party-Bridesmaids-Long-Bridesmaid-Dresses

My plan if it was too tight in the belly I was going to cut two slits in the under layer (if that makes sense) match the fabric and make a quick slip to go under it. Seemed like the best idea for more room. Also helps my Mom is an amazing seamstress but luckily I didn't need her except for the two tucks.  

BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

PgAL : 04/2013 BFP - mmc/d&c  : 12/2013 BFP - chemical pregnancy

• Options
    In the same boat! I will be a maid-of-honor on November 1st when I'll be 8 months pregnant! Only one store had a maternity dress, Alfred Angelo, and they ordered it 3 sizes up. It looks huge still so I may get it taken in before.
    Married 11/2008. Started TTC January 2014.
    BFP 3/30/14. <3 EDD 12/4/14
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

In the same boat! I will be a maid-of-honor on November 1st when I'll be 8 months pregnant! Only one store had a maternity dress, Alfred Angelo, and they ordered it 3 sizes up. It looks huge still so I may get it taken in before.
    My sister also ordered an Alfred Angelo maternity dress when she was in a wedding at 8 months pregnant. I was in the same wedding and it was nice because the rest of our dresses were made by the same company, so she was able to order a different cut that matched the color and fabric that the rest of us wore. Maybe the bride will be open to you doing something similar.

I agree with @theresat858 that you should wait as long as you can to place the order. Everyone gains weight differently throughout pregnancy, and what size you need will also depend on the style of the dress. Good luck! 
  • Options
    I don't normally post on 3rd Tri,  but wanted to add...I will be a Maid of Honor when I am 31 weeks pregnant and the seamstress recommending order my dress two sizes larger and with a corset back. It is really big on me though...I go next Monday for alterations. Something else to ask about.

~ES~

~*~EVERYONE always welcome!!~*~
    TTC #1 since October 2012
    BFP #1 11/22/12 EDD 7/29/13 MMC 1/14/13, D&C 1/16/13
    BFP #2 5/7/13 EDD 1/14/2014 Ectopic discovered 5/21/13, lost left tube
    Referred to RE, blood work done August 2013, AMH 0.27, all else normal, HSG clear
    BFP #3 12/1/13 EDD 8/8/14, MC 12/24/13
    January 2014: RE #2, blood work repeated, homozygous MTHFR c677t, SHG clear
    BFP #4 4/7/14 EDD 12/15/14 Our rainbow was born 12/6/14 at 4:26pm! <3 

• Options
    I am in my SIL wedding next weekend at 34wks pregnant. We got my dress at Davids Bridal and it has been a horrible experience. My sil told them I didn't have to wear the same dress as the others but they were really rushing us and did not want to offer any help with suggesting a different style that would be more bump friendly and just kept saying I would have to alter any dress no matter what so just go with what everyone else was getting.

I normally wear a size 4. I ordered a size 12 to fit belly knowing I would need to take the chest in significantly. When it came in 8wks before the wedding it was already too small in the belly (I have only gained 22lbs so its not because I have gained an accessive amount by any means) they had to rush order a size 14. Its going to be close but right now it fits my belly but I spent $80 to alter the chest area because it was sooo much work that included a $30 rush fee because the wedding is so close. The dress only cost $100.

I bought another Davids Bridal dress off the clearance rack to wear to another wedding as a guest, another formal event at DH work, and my SIL bridal shower. It was a long maxi style with no structure in the belly area. It is a size 6 so only one size different from my normal size due to my boobs growing and I have worn it at 20ish weeks, 26weeks, and 30wks and it fit my growing bump perfectly each time. I plan to wear it for the rehearsal as well.

All that to say you really need to make sure whoever helps you takes the time to help properly and show you either maternity styles or styles that are less structured to allow for more belly growth without drastic alterations.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Hey there! So, one of my bridesmaids was 8 months pregnant in my wedding. My mom actually ended up sewing her dress.

One thing I learned is that it isn't just the belly and boobs that change! My friend is very petite (only 5'2") and so to allow more room for baby, her rib cage expanded A LOT. We thought we had everything figured out, tried the dress on her a few weeks before the wedding, and the back was five inches from zipping. Oops!

Having gone through this, I'd say go WAY too large. Seamstresses and tailors can work magic with too much fabric, but you can't add fabric. I think we eventually ended up sewing a size 10 for my friend who is normally a size 2. Then, we adjusted it.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I had the same situation and ordered 2 sizes up. It does depend on the dress shape. Typically, if you tell the person at the store they may have recommendations. The wedding is in three weeks and the dress fits me but I did need to spend a good amount on alterations because I'm not two sizes bigger everywhere.
  • Options
    I was a bridesmaid at 8 mo pregnant with my last pregnancy. The dresses were empire waist, I ordered one size bigger the month before the wedding (it was huge when j tried it on the first time) I could barely zip it up without a whole lot of help the day of lol!

I'd wait a little while, you have no idea right now how big your belly will get. Tell the bride if she doesn't already know, look into maternity options, and don't be afraid to get alterations
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I will be a bridesmaid in my friends wedding at 38 weeks in December.  Since she didn't choose a dress from a bridal salon I just bought the biggest size they offer in the dress and will have it altered closer to the wedding.
  • Options
    I'm in a wedding in a week and will be exactly 32 weeks. We are wearing empire waist non-maternity dresses for the wedding so I ended up getting a dress that was 4 sizes up from my normal dress size. I got married in feb. In a size 8 wedding dress and the dress I ordered was a 16. I had to get it altered slightly to fit my bust as well as length but the belly area was pretty perfect. You should consult the store though, they helped me figure out the right size.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"