January 2015 Moms
Options

Months pregnant - how to calculate

So my sister and I are debating when we can saying we are X months pregnant. We are even looking at the same website (https://www.baby2see.com/pregnancylength.html) and reading it differently. I am 24 weeks this week. I am in month 6 but say that I am 5 1/2 months pregnant as that it what I have completed (I don't use 4 weeks bc that leaves out a lot of days since most months are more than 4 weeks - we do agree on that point). My sister however would say that she is 6 months pregnant once month 6 started. I was always under the impression that months pregnant was like birthdays. You are not one years old until you live 1 year. So you are not 6 months pregnant until you have been pregnant for 6 months. What do you guys say? Are you 6 months when month 6 starts or once you finish month 6?
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Months pregnant - how to calculate

• Options
    So would she say she's 30 the day after her 29th birthday? Because you're right - it's basically the same thing.
    ******************************************** siggy warning ******************************************

image image

Married July 2011 * TTC #1 since 8/12 * Me: 29 DH: 29
    21 Cycles TI: BFNs
    DX: Stage 2 Endo, uterine polyps and paratubal cysts removed
    2/14: IVF #1 Lupron Protocol = 12R/10M/9F, no frosties; transferred one 3BB blast = BFN
    4/14: IVF #2 Antagonist Protocol = 18R/16M/15F/6 frosties; transferred one 4BB blast = BFP!!
    Beta #1 (5/12) = 232 Beta #2 (5/16) = 886 Beta #3 (5/20) = 3168
    EDD 1/18/15 It's a BOY 

~~~~~~ All Are Welcome ~~~~~~

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I'd say you're six months pregnant when you have completed 6 months. Just like you're 22 weeks pregnant when you have completed 22 weeks (start of week 23). Your sister is weird.
    Ha! That's what I said. So she even asked a couple of her friends who are also pregnant (she is 31 weeks now) and they all agreed with her and said she is 8 months pregnant now because month 8 started.
  • Options

She said people don't say months pregnant like birthdays and being in month 8 = being 8 months pregnant. She said my explanation would mean you aren't 9 months pregnant until the end of the pregnancy (or really about 39 weeks I think). I said yes that it right. That is why people says pregnancy is 9 months.

• Options
    honeybeee3honeybeee3 member
    edited September 2014
    Yes, I'd say your 5 1/2 months pregnant. But by reading that chart, I can see why your sister thinks 6 months because it shows that you are in your 6th month from weeks 22-26.

Honestly, I've never completely understood how the months work during pregnancy. It's confusing!

Eta: @southernyankeegirl‌ I didn't see your post when I wrote a response. I like the way you look at it and now I'm a lot less confused so thanks! :)

Pregnancy TickerimageBaby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Options
    Milagros315Milagros315 member
    edited September 2014

I look at it oddly - the general population believes pregnancy is 9 months so I count backwards. I am 23 weeks today, due Jan 13th. So starting Dec 13th I'd consider myself 8 months, Nov 13th I'd be 7 months, Oct 13th 6 months. Which makes me right about 5 months right now!

Yeah that's what we're saying! I consider that to be the correct way.OP's sister would say that you are 9 months pregnant on December 13th.

ETA: Haha actually, it wasn't clear that that's what I was saying but it is.
    ******************************************** siggy warning ******************************************

image image

2/14: IVF #1 Lupron Protocol = 12R/10M/9F, no frosties; transferred one 3BB blast = BFN
    4/14: IVF #2 Antagonist Protocol = 18R/16M/15F/6 frosties; transferred one 4BB blast = BFP!!
    EDD 1/18/15 It's a BOY 

• Options
    I agree with you, OP, and I've never understood the "other" perspective. 
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options

I'd say you're six months pregnant when you have completed 6 months. Just like you're 22 weeks pregnant when you have completed 22 weeks (start of week 23).

Your sister is weird.

I disagree with this. I am not 24 weeks the day I turn 25 weeks. I'm currently 24 weeks 5 days.
  • Options
    Well I tell ppl I'm at beginning of so and so month, or half way through. It is crazy confusing though..lol
    ***ticker warning*** DS 3/27/12 born 6 weeks early....my perfect boy !! Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers [url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://lb1f.lilypie.com/z5R8p1.png[/img][/url] image<a href="http://www.thebump.com/?
  • Options
    Meh. I round to whatever is nearest usually.

"As long as I live you will live. As long as I live you will be loved."

BFP#1 3/31/12 EDD 12/1/12,No HB 6/6/12 (14 weeks 4 days), D&C 6/11/12 (15 weeks 2 days)*Arabella Ann*

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP#2 5/21/14 EDD 1/27/15 *GROW BABY GROW*

• Options
    edited September 2014

I'd say you're six months pregnant when you have completed 6 months. Just like you're 22 weeks pregnant when you have completed 22 weeks (start of week 23).

Your sister is weird.

I disagree with this. I am not 24 weeks the day I turn 25 weeks. I'm currently 24 weeks 5 days.
    That's not what I said. I said you would be 24 weeks the day you start your 25th week.

Just like when you're in your first week of pregnancy you're 0 weeks X days, for example. Then you're 1 week pregnant when you start the second week.

image image

EDD 1/18/15 It's a BOY 

• Options

I look at it oddly - the general population believes pregnancy is 9 months so I count backwards. I am 23 weeks today, due Jan 13th. So starting Dec 13th I'd consider myself 8 months, Nov 13th I'd be 7 months, Oct 13th 6 months. Which makes me right about 5 months right now!

Yep I do the countdown method too, since that is really the info people want to know: how long until that baby gets here.

BabyFruit Ticker

<p align="center"
  • Options
    CbeanzCbeanz member
    edited September 2014
    You're correct, OP.

And to reiterate, 4 weeks =/= 1 month! This is a huge pet peeve of mine.

ETA: 1 month = 4.35 weeks. This makes a significant difference.
  • Options

Your sister is weird.

That's not what I said. I said you would be 24 weeks the day you start your 25th week.

Just like when you're in your first week of pregnancy you're 0 weeks X days, for example. Then you're 1 week pregnant when you start the second week.
    Ah, I see. It was poorly worded.
  • Options
    I count months from my due date. I'm due Jan 18, so on the 18th of whatever month, it's another month closer. Saves all the crazy weeks/days counting. And I (like ppers) will say as of Thursday "in my 6th month". No, I'm not done my 6th month, I'm still in it. So, yea, semantics.
  • Options
    https://www.adventureintodomesticland.com/2013/02/weeks-vs-months-pregnant.html?m=1

This is how I calculate my month to weeks... so I say on day 1 of week 22 I'm day 1 of month 6...not that anyone else is wrong n I'm right this is just what I do..
  • Options
    I usually just go by weeks. Baby is due four months from today so I guess I'm in my fifth month?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    technically everyone here is right but I never know the months so I just guestimate to the nearest one I think I am, preferring to round up than round down. I'd probs say "almost 6 months" rather than 5 and a half..... kind of like being excited for a birthday--- "almost 10!" sounds better than 9 and a half ;)  Though now I guess I'm happy to round down for birthdays. ha
    It doesn't really matter. 

• Options
    edited September 2014
    jconno said:

Your sister is weird.

Ah, I see. It was poorly worded.
    I see the logic here, but I don't think that means you add a week. When you hit 24 weeks you have been pregnant 24 weeks. The next day you would be 24 weeks + 1 day.

ETA: So when you get to 25 weeks you are 24 weeks + 7. Yes, you've completed week 24, but you don't still say you're 24 weeks at that point.
    I'm not sure what you mean because when you get to 24 weeks 7 days, you just completed the 25th week not the 24th.

Or are you talking about the month example? Either way, I think we've established that the OP is correct.

ETA: I think it's confusing because people use different terminology. Maybe? Are you calling week 24 when you are 24 weeks X days? I would call that week 25 (because it's the 25th week of pregnancy) but I'd absolutely say I'm 24 weeks pregnant. I'm not adding a week it just IS the 25th week.

image image

EDD 1/18/15 It's a BOY 

• Options
    I think you are correct. 

It also drives me crazy when people think pregnancy is 10 months. 4 weeks =/= 1 month.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Options
    My head hurts. LOL

I just round up when people ask. "I'm almost 6 months.." and that's enough to appease them.

• Options
    I just tell people whatever I am, 24.5 weeks.
  • Options
    This is a good site to help your sister understand: https://spacefem.com/pregnant/calendar.php

• Options
    I think mostly I refuse to think about months because MiL always goes "how many months are you now?" or at least did last pregnancy and only does this one after the offensive "Are you still pregnant?" or "Is the baby still alive?"  bitch.  I only tell her weeks instead.  The edition I have of the WTEWYE book has week 23 at the beginning of month 6.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    So by your sister's counting system she's looking forward to 10 "months" of pregnancy!
    ;) I am 21 weeks and say I'm 5 months even though I won't really hit it until the 19th-23rd (LMP or due date) but I look like I am so I'll get away with it :) But for the most part if my friends or family ask I say how many weeks I am. I feel strangers might be confused what the week counting system is, since most people are more familiar with the month counting.
    January J'15 Siggy Challenge: Baby FAILS

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

This is a good site to help your sister understand: https://spacefem.com/pregnant/calendar.php

I LOVE THIS
  • Options
    Lanatir said:

I think mostly I refuse to think about months because MiL always goes "how many months are you now?" or at least did last pregnancy and only does this one after the offensive "Are you still pregnant?" or "Is the baby still alive?"  bitch.  I only tell her weeks instead.  The edition I have of the WTEWYE book has week 23 at the beginning of month 6.

WHAT???
  • Options
    WHAT???
    Which part?  My MiL?  I've made no secret that she's horrible.  Leanings towards NPD with her and she either has NO idea what is and isn't rude OR she just doesn't care.

The week 23 being the beginning of month 6 seems early for me, too, though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    britb618britb618 member
    edited September 2014
    When I enter my 6 month I say I am
    In my 6 month of pregnancy so I guess I agree with your sister- everything I have read always works like that and yea I know that's different than birthdays
  • Options
    Lanatir said:

Lanatir said:

WHAT???

Which part?  My MiL?  I've made no secret that she's horrible.  Leanings towards NPD with her and she either has NO idea what is and isn't rude OR she just doesn't care.

The week 23 being the beginning of month 6 seems early for me, too, though.

Yes, your MIL. Sweet Jesus! If you feel like it feel free to create a separate post and vent about this crazy hag.

• Options

britb618 said:
    When I enter my 6 month I say I am In my 6 month of pregnancy so I guess I agree with your sister- everything I have read always works like that and yea I know that's different than birthdays

I think saying you are in your 6th month of pregnancy is right. I just think it is different to say that you are 6 months pregnant. I see those differently. She doesn't.
  • Options
    Lanatir said:

Wow. That is all I can say about your MIL. Nightmare.
  • Options
    That makes no sense. When she's 8 months plus one day, is she telling people she's 9 months? If I hear someone is 9 months pregnant I am expecting them to have a baby any day.
  • Options
    That makes no sense. When she's 8 months plus one day, is she telling people she's 9 months? If I hear someone is 9 months pregnant I am expecting them to have a baby any day.
    Yes, she will be saying 9 months then. I agree. 9 months is baby is coming now/soon, not in another month or so.
  • Options
    I just make up something and don't overthink it. People who ask how many months you are really don't give two shits about how far along you are. They are just feigning interest so they have something to talk to you about. 

Totally agree. I usually just say what week I am. This was more of a sister battle so I really wanted to get the answer (and win).
  • Options
    I agree that you say how many months you have completed. The same as your age. Right now I'm about 4 1/2 months. On the 29 I'll be 5 months. Or on Friday I'll be 22 weeks. It's the amount that's gone by already.

If you want to say you're in your 5th month that's ok too. Some people talk that way about their ages. But starting your 6th month doesn't mean you are 6 months along.
  • Options
    Right now, I figure 20 weeks is 4.5 months so at 22 weeks (What I am now), I'm "Just about 5 months pregnant" And since I always figure a month has approximately 4.5 weeks in it, when I become 26 weeks, I'll start saying "Just about 6 months" lol.
  • Options
    I just say "I'm 5 months.... I'm 6 months" ect.

I was at my Dr. Today the chart there said 2nd Tri ends at 24 weeks. 3rd tri starts week 25.

Shrugs/

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"