Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Feeding Conundrum

Hi all! Looking for a little feedback. I'm a first time mom, so of course I question every little thing I do! I have a 5 month old son that we recently just introduced to veggies. He is still breastfed with only formula supplementing during the day while he's at his sitters (pumping was not my friend). He still loves to nurse and I'm going to continue as long as he wants to. I'm just wanting to make sure he gets enough to eat during the day. My question to all of you is do you still give your little ones oatmeal (or rice) cereal while also feeding veggies/fruit? And if you do, when do you do this? Oatmeal and nursing at breakfast? Veggies and nursing for dinner? Any thoughts would be great!! 

Re: Feeding Conundrum

• Options
    My daughter is 5 months. I breastfeed and pump.  The doc said that we could feed her fruits and veggies for fun here and there.  Same with oatmeal but I heard oatmeal has no nutritional value so we dropped that.

We just feed her fruits and veggies once in awhile (once a day or every other day..).. she gets everything she needs still through my milk. 

I'm a first time mom too.. i wonder what others will say. 
  • Options
    With my first we skipped cereal completely. Partly because she didn't like it and partly because I'd rather she have foods that have their own merits rather than carbs with added nutrients. Will most likely do the same with this baby.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We haven't started solids yet with DS2, but when DS1 was starting solids we would just feed him once a day. He hated oatmeal, but when I did try it I would just give him a few tsp PhD oatmeal and half a jar of purees for dinner. Babies really don't need more than that at this age. But if you wanted to give him more you could. That is just what worked for us.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We skipped oatmeal and rice for the fact is it's not really nutritious. We started with veggies at 4.5 months and we so half a container a day. We use the same amount as formula as before
  • Options
    So glad I found this thread also a FTM about to start LO on some solids. I am wondering which is better (lack of a better word) rice or oatmeal cereal?

Looking for opinions or experience, pedi said either one is ok but I have read conflicting statements: rice may contain arsenic, oatmeal may be harder to digest, etc.
    First time mommy-to-be
    E.D.D. June 1, 2014

• Options
    rice cereal is good for first solids because it is very gentle and gluten free I believe. We do cereal or puree once a day at the most. sometimes it is every few days to try it and see how he does digestive-wise. Any new food you introduce you should only try one new thing at a time for 3-4 days and then you can move on. That way if your LO has a reaction you can pinpoint what food caused it. My Ped gave me a hard time about starting cereal or food before 6 months (we started a tiny amount of cereal at 4 months) but my LO figured out how to eat with a spoon in less than 5 minutes and he is large for his age. Bottle alone doesn't always cut it for him in the evenings and he sleeps better with a full tummy. Here's what we did: cereal very thin with breastmilk one evening then wait a few days to see how it affected his bm's. Then give some more, gradually decreasing the intervals of waiting. Then we started with banana puree. Waited for a few days....banana puree again. No bad reactions so then we tried sweet potato. That pattern seems to work for us. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"