TTC after 35
Options

Possibly dumb question

So we've officially been trying for only 2 cycles (I'm now in the 2WW) and I'm curious if we are supposed to be doing "more"

I saw my OB/GYN in May to "check in" and let her know we were going to start trying. She told me to contact her after 6 months of no luck.

So - first cycle I used OPK only. This cycle I temped / used OPK. 

I see some of you ladies are going through testing and seeing the RE right off the bat (at least it seems like it). Is that standard for us AMA ladies? Should I be pushing for a referral to a RE?

Re: Possibly dumb question

• Options
    I don't think it's a dumb question. I think it's your comfort level of aggressiveness with your age considered. For me we tried six months and then I did a consult which we then did an hsg and SA. I have been continuing to work with my ob because I am comfortable with his infertility experience, the tests he's doing, and level of aggressiveness. I might be changing my tune in the next three months if I'm not pg.
  • Options
    That's definitely not a dumb question, but I'm not sure about the answer. :)

When you "checked in" with your OB, did you get any baseline testing done?  Getting your CD 3 bloodwork, which your OB should be able to do, might be a good way for you to get an idea of whether or not you need to be more aggressive.  I don't remember exactly how AMA you are, but if you're toward the lower end (closer to 35), and your bloodwork looks good, I don't know that you need to rush into treatment.

Also, of course, there's the matter of insurance.  My plan wouldn't actually cover treatment with an RE until I had been TTC with an OB for 6 months.

Good luck!
    *****Signature/Ticker Warning******

Me: 41, DH: 45
    DD, 6/15/2013
    TTC #2 beginning January 2014
    AMH 1.05; FSH range 7-11

July 2014: IUI #1.  Follistim + Pregnyl.  2 follicles--BFN
    September 2014: IUI #2.  Follistim + Pregnyl + Ganirelix + Crinone.  4(?) follicles--BFN
    October 2014: IUI #3.  More Follistim + More Ganirelix + Pregnyl + Crinone.  4 follicles--BFP!  Beta #1=10 Beta #2=33 Beta #3=97 Beta #4=158.  M/C 11/1/14
    December 2014: IVF #1.  Microdose Lupron protocol.  9R, 9M, 9F.  3 5-day blasts transferred 12/15. BFFN.
    April 2015: IVF #2.  Microdose Lupron protocol.  16R, 15M, 12F. Transferred 2 5-day blasts 4/12 and froze 4--BFP!  M/C 5/25/15
    August 2015: IVF #3.  14R, 13M, 11F.  Froze 5 blasts for CCS testing.  3 normals.  FET planned for 10/2015.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My Ovulation Chart

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just turned 38. My check in was just at my annual and no additional tests were done. She seemed fairly breezy about my age since my period is fairly regular and I haven't had any other issues and just said to check in after 6 months. 

I guess I'll try another couple of months and see how it goes (assuming we aren't successful this time). 

I should probably also look up my insurance to see what's covered!

Thanks ladies.
  • Options
    Your question is a good one...not dumb!

My OB just told me to try for 6 months, and if it doesn't happen by then, to see her again then head to an RE if necessary. Sounds like you are doing everything right. :)
  • Options
    Yes I agree with the other posters, my gyno told me to wait a year (I was 35/36) but i waited about 9 months and then saw an RE, got tests and found out i have endometriosis and a tube blocked!  i have regular periods and don't think they're that heavy... so asymptomatic.  now i know, and i have other tests showing normal stuff, so i can focus on the thing that is hindering me.  i'd suggest that you try a few more months naturally (it helps to do the temperatures too to confirm ovulation, first thing in the AM and plug them into an app, I use Kindara)  and then get some baseline testing. the HSG is what showed my tube blockage. It was covered by my insurance.
    TTC#1 since Aug 2013, I'm 37, DH 41.  
    Maya Arvigo Abdominal massage (daily self care), plus TTC meditations.
    I'm very sensitive to diet (gluten, avoid processed foods) and environment. Have a history of inflammation and tendinitis before going off gluten in 2009.  
    July 2014 - RE Visit #1: Eggs look good, Endometrioma on R ovary, HSG showed blocked R tube close to ovary. DH SA normal 
    DX: Endometriosis probably the IF cause and gunking up tubes.  Since egg reserve is high, RE says I can wait a couple months and then get laproscopic surgery to remove endo & clear tube.  If that doesn't help then move to IVF. 
    Dec 2014 - Saw new RE - does not recommend surgery on tube as it isn't likely to help.  Doubts I have endometriosis.  My endometrioma shrunk to neglible size (yay!) 
    Seriously considering IVF in March/April
    12/17/14 - Natural BFP! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"