Secondary IF
Options

Do you ever worry about

I thought I would post on this board as well to see if you had any input since all of you ladies are going thru/ have gone thru fertility treatments.

Do you get nervous Taking all of these fertility medications? Does anyone know if there is an increased risk to breast cancer/gynological cancers due to all of the fertility meds? DH and I are thinking about going thru with the IVF. Breast Cancer and Ovarian cancer runs on my side of the family. It scares the crap out of me to inject myself with all of these meds. Have any of you ladies thought about this prior to going thru with your IVF? Have any of you done any research on this? I have read some articles and majority of them say that there is no real increased risk, I kind of find that shocking. Maybe there is not enough research on it yet. I know that I am at an increased risk all ready because of my family history. I dont want to increase my chances even more doing these fertility meds. DH and I are kind of nervous to go thru with it. I was just wondering what your thoughts were on this subject. Need some advice. Noone really knows that we are having infertility issues so I counting on this board with your expertise/advice

Re: Do you ever worry about

• Options
    lupineauralupineaura member
    edited September 2014
    Obviously, everyone here has chosen to take the meds. I advise you talk to your doctor about your specific medical history.

Edited because on second reading that sounded snarky, and I did not intend it to be. Good luck with your decision!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Yes I've considered it. I'm pretty eco/green/natural. I did get really pissed off at an offhand comment my naturopath made the other day because she has issue with the synthetic progesterone vs the progesterone she prescribes. Her comment stung the way it was worded and I snapped back and that was the end of it. But it has weighed on me ever since. 

For me though, I thought about the cost/benefit to it all. I'm pretty optimistic that we will end up with a baby at the end of this. And I (grimly) figure that hey, if it lead to something, at least my husband and DS would have more family to hold them together. Also this whole treatment process has brought my husband and I closer together. So it's all worth it to me. 
    Me: 32, DH: 33
    DS #1: April 2010
    DS #2: July 2015 (preemie born at 31 weeks) - our little miracle conceived through ART - unexplained secondary infertility/adenomyosis
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've thought about it too. The consent form I have to sign at the RE's office before every cycle actually mentions ovarian cancer and how there is no good data linking fertility drugs with an increased risk but they can't be certain. I try not to think about it too much. I know that financially we can't do treatments for a very prolonged amount of time so I try to think that will limit my cycles on these meds. And I just have to hope that the majority of research saying they are safe is correct! 
    "From the moment I first saw you, the second that you were born, I knew that you were the love of my life" Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Me: 35, DH: 40
    TTC # 2 since 8/13, Dx: unexplained secondary infertility
    Clomid cycles 7/14 & 8/14= BFN
    IUI # 1 (clomid) 8/27/14= BFN
    IUI # 2 (clomid and follistim) 9/25/14= BFN
    IUI # 3 (femara and follistim) 10/23/14= BFN
    IUI # 4 (femara and follistim) 11/20/14= BFN
    12/12/14- saline sono shows two polyps
    2/15- two uterine polyps and "schmutz" (RE's words) removed
    8/15- surprise BFP! Beta #1 70 Beta #2 150 
  • Options
    CeCe8579CeCe8579 member
    edited September 2014
    @GraceyandTroy‌, nailed it... In a good way ;-)
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• Options
    I came on this board for honest opinions and thoughts on this subject. Thanks anyways.  
  • Options
    :-h

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    MoFreeMoFree member
    edited September 2014
    I do have concerns about all the hormones I've ingested since I am extremely mindful of the foods I eat and feed my child. However, since IVF is our only option to achieve a pregnancy, I don't think about the risks.
    TTC since 3-08 IVF # 1 Dec 2011 BFP DD born at 31 weeks 6-24-12

FET #1 Dec 2013 BFN

FET # 2 Feb 2014 BFN

No more frosties

IVF #2. September 2014

PGD yielded 2 perfect 5d blasts

SET November 9, 2014
    Nov 23, 2014. Another BFN

Not sure where to go from here.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

Really Potatocastillo???  Is that how you treat people that you dont know? You are one Classy lady.  I am glad that I am not your friend. 

[-X

• Options
    I did give my honest thoughts and opinions. I think many of us did.
    Me: 32, DH: 33
    DS #1: April 2010
    DS #2: July 2015 (preemie born at 31 weeks) - our little miracle conceived through ART - unexplained secondary infertility/adenomyosis
  • Options

@ designer03. 

I would not be on this board asking all of these questions if I wasnt in the same boat as all of you ladies. IVF is our only option. I am nervous as hell to go thru with it because I do have family history of breast & ovarian cancer.  I was just trying to get some support from you ladies and was asking if anyone has read any articles where there is concrete evidence  showing that there is an increased risk.  I apologize if my question came off the wrong way.  I wasnt trying to hurt anyones feelings.  I was just looking for thoughts/opinions on the subject. 

• Options
    I appreciate the apology, the fact is there is no real evidence either way so it's basically something that probably scares of us, but we do our best not to think about it, so that is probably why you got the responses you did.

TTC#1 May 2009- July 2010 on our own with no luck

Started with RE in August 2010, dx with unexplained IF and then finally our 3rd IUI cycle using Follistim and Trigger resulted in our wonderful little man.  Born 12/2/11

TTC#2 Never really prevented, but were careful early on as Dr. reccomended

Surprise BFP 12/16/13, started progesterone immediately as first numbers came back low, but betas were good.  Progesterone wasnt enough. Natural MC 12/24/13.

Back with RE as of January 2014...

5/27/14- Chemical Pregnancy :(

April 2015 IVF#1

5/13/15- BFP, please stick LO!

Oh and I'm a major Harry Potter Nerd :)

Silly mugglesimage

• Options
    Ummm.. I didn't do anything lol 

I am seriously lol @ "Is that how you treat people" 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yes, I think about it a lot actually.  My PCP finally agreed to prescribe a mammogram due to my paranoia.  It was normal, so that eased my mind a bit.  Is there any testing that you think would help ease your mind?  Or are you mostly concerned about potential future problems that may be years out?
  • Options
    I didn't read through all the responses, but can tell you that yes, this is a serious concern that I do have. You can see my history in my siggy, I've done multiple back to back FETs and have had prolonged (or at least more than I would like) exposure to estrogen. I've talk to two REs and of course, both encouraged regular mammograms, etc. I had a false scare on a screening mamogram about a month ago and it was really tough. In any event, everyone has their own risk tolerance. I am looking into immune testing for possible issues causing recurrent implantation failures. Even if it would help, I will not take IVIG. I don't want to shoulder the expense or the risk. I really wish you the best as you think through all of this. I know it is not easy and from my perspective, your questions are valid.

DOR and AMA
    2/12-5/12: 4 IUI cycles = all BFN;
    7/12: DE IVF # 1 (with ICSI)- 20R, 16M, 14F, 5DT of 2 blasts; 6 frosties = BFN;
    Lupus anticoagulant initially high, then found to be normal on hematology consult;
    Follow up testing in September all clear;
    Started synthroid for "high normal" TSH;
    FET # 1- late October 2012- BFP on FRER; beta # 1- 21(low), beta # 2- 48 (still low), beta # 3- 132, beta # 4- 1,293; beta # 5- 5,606; last beta- over 100,000. First u/s 11/21- heard heartbeat
    12/12- Officially an OB patient!
    Level 2 ultrasound at 20 weeks shows vasa previa and VCI
    Referral to MFM and mandatory c section for delivery
    Beautiful baby girl born at 34 weeks
    Finally home after 15 day NICU stay!
    Trying for sibling: FET # 2- May 2014; beta 5/31, BFN
    FET #3, early July 2014; beta 7/14, BFN
    DE IVF # 2- August 2014; 14R, 13M, 11F, 5dt of 2 blasts (3 AA), 5 frosties = BFN
    FET #4- December 2014, yet another BFN

Dr. KK work up shows borderline uterine blood flow, elevated NK cells, and MTHFR mutation (homozygous for c677t)

Added baby aspirin, prednisone, supplements, Metanx, and intralipids

Switched to large clinic for final attempt; had endometrial receptivity testing in January; FET March 2015 = yet another BFN

Likely OAD- NBC

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"