3rd Trimester

Weight gain support

Hi. I'm new to the site but was in need of some support and answers from other moms and moms to be. I live in Japan and am having my first little one. I'm 30 weeks now and have gained 13 kg thus far. Thing is, I started at 81 kg (was exercising and pretty healthy at the time) and am now at 94 kg. My doctor has been on me the entire time about my eating but I've not really changed my diet. I've had a few more carbs added to help with nausea and energy but otherwise I've only increased fruits and veggies. In Japan I walk everywhere and live on a third floor with no elevator so I get exercise every day by walking and stairs.

I went to the doctor today and since I've gained more she's making me see a diet counselor on my next visit. I understand her concern for the weight gain and I've really tried to watch what I eat this whole time. But I'm just so overly concerned about this that I'm constantly worrying about it because I don't know what I've done wrong and the pressure she makes me feel is overwhelming at times. I don't really have any American friends that have gone through this in another country so I'm just looking for some support to see if anyone has any suggestions or advice.

Re: Weight gain support

• I had to go to a nutritionist the first time I was pregnant b/c I gained too much in a certain month. Try not to stress and feel bad (it can lead to things like crying the whole time you are there like an idiot). It wasn't that bad- I was just emotional about it ;). Good luck- remember each woman has a different weight gain- for many it is even different per pregnancy so do what the doc asks but don't worry. :)
  • I gained ~50 lbs/23kg with my first (and I'm about the same size as you); so far I'm on track to gain the same with my second (started at 77kg and have gained 15kg so far). I lost it all very quickly after birth though - scary/crazy fast, we're talking 30 lbs/14kg in 3 weeks, fast. I breastfed, which I'm sure had a lot to do with it but didn't start a diet or exercise program or anything. And since, with my first I ate pretty badly and with this one I'm eating basically the same as pre-pregnancy, if not better, I think this is just how my body does pregnancy. When the famine, that only my body knows is coming, comes, I will be prepared. :)

My glucose levels are good and my doctor wasn't concerned before and hasn't said anything to me this time either. When I asked she said "you're pregnant" and shrugged, then reminded me to make sure I was walking and drinking enough water. Everyone's body is different. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for all the feedback. It's definitely helped eased my mind a bit. I'm thinking that it's just a cultural difference and all. I go back in two weeks for so I'll have to wait and see how things go. But it has been reassuring for me so thanks everyone!
  • edited September 2014
    I wouldn't stress about it. With my first I didn't really gain much weight in my first or second trimester. My doctors kept telling me to eat more. Which I didn't because I didn't need to I ate healthy and when I was hungry by the end I had gained 50 pounds four days after giving birth I was down 45 pounds. I retained a lot of water lol. Your body is going to do what it needs to as long as your eating healthy a normal portions I would say you will be fine fromy experience
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"