3rd Trimester
Options

Good Idea/Bad Idea?

So I'm in the third trimester (about 33 weeks) and my husband's birthday is just 3 weeks before the baby is due.  We're super busy for the next few weeks (a wedding next weekend, a birthday party in VT the weekend after, and then my shower the weekend after that) but right now I'm in nesting mode and feel invincible!  I'd love to have a few friends over the weekend of my husband's birthday, just for a cookout/potluck type deal, but I'm wondering if at that point I'll just want to go to sleep.  What do people think?  Should I push through for one more busy weekend, or take advantage of a weekend without plans?

Re: Good Idea/Bad Idea?

• Options
    I say do it.  You'll have more energy/time to see friends now than after the baby is born.  Keep it simple, solicit some help in setting up/preparing/cleaning up, and keep the guest list limited.  I also suggest having a start AND an end time posted on the invite.  That way people know they can't show up three hours late and then stay late into the night (our friends can be like that - particularly the ones without kids).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Well, I'm 37w and would have no problem having people over for a BBQ. We went on a hike this weekend, and are going to the Big E tonight (new england's state fair)...so I feel good still (so far) It does vary person to person though. But,  if you do feel like poop by the time it rolls around, it should be fine if it's a potluck at your house you wont have to do much for. Maybe make sure one of your friends can be your official helper for the day and come over early to help out in case you're not up for it.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic 

baby development

• Options
    ^^SNIP

No way is anyone coming over to my house between now and when the baby arrives.
    Yep. I'm in this mode now. But hey, if you have the energy, go for it.
  • Options
    I had a small get together at 36 weeks. It was for my Husband's birthday. We all had a great time. Just a simple bbq with some good friends. Turned out to be fun and a relaxing afternoon. I say go for it. Just don't over do it. Keep it simple and small!
  • Options
    Personally, I couldn't do it, but you know your energy level and your own limits.  Good luck!

• Options
    I think if you are up for it, totally go for it.  Maybe tell your DH a little a head of time so he can help you out a bit before hand and on the actual day so its not 100% on you.

Have fun!
    DH and I Married 11.12.10
    First BPP 1.24.14
    EDD 9.26.14

Baby Cooper John born on 9.24.14 6lbs9oz

• Options
    I still had a lot of energy at 37 weeks and think I could have handled inviting a small group of people over to our place. With that said, everyone is different, so only you will ultimately know how much you can handle.

Could you elicit the help of a close friend to help with prep just in case you're starting to feel overwhelmed or exhausted? If you have some help and make sure to keep the guest list to a few friends, I think you could still pull it off. It actually might be kind of nice to have an intimate little gathering with your friends before the baby comes. 
  • Options
    My husband's birthday was on Tuesday, and we did a BBQ on Saturday (the 13th). I'm almost 39 weeks, and it wasn't too bad! I did it at 2 in the afternoon, and I had my mother and mother in law help me with the sides and appetizers. Everyone was out of here by 8:30, and we were in bed! My husband has been so supportive that I think it was so nice that we spent just a couple hours focused on him. He was on Cloud Nine having a couple beers with his buddies. :)
  • Options
    Do it! Sitting around all day drains me and makes me feel more tired. I need a couple daily tasks that involve being out and abt while in third trimester or I start to feel like a stiff barrel.

Just pace yourself with frequent breaks perhaps!
  • Options
    Thanks for all the input!  I decided to do it because, as one previous poster said, I thought I would feel good about doing this for my husband before the baby came.  So the "party" (small gathering) was today.  I may have been a little overeager, as yesterday I was told I have preeclampsia and may need to be induced later this week.  However, we still had a few people over and I am really glad we did it, maybe even especially if we end up having the baby so soon!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"