December 2014 Moms

GD check-in 9/15

13»

Re: GD check-in 9/15

• bowlwoman said:

kdm06c said:

Thank you so much @bowlwoman‌.

My endo said 30g of carbs for meals and 30 for snacks. Smaller portions and balanced plates.

I'm hoping I get a little more direction with the nutritionist soon.

Good luck, and I hope the nutritionist loosens up the reins a bit.
    Thanks girl. Me too!
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Oh, I totally forgot to AW my growth scan yesterday. Baby Q weighed in at 2lbs, 13oz, and is measuring one day behind my EDD. For me being a diabetic mama, this is fabulous news. :) He is just over the 50th percentile in size, so absolutely perfect. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker       
    DD1 - 8 years
    DD2 - 6 years
    BFP3 - 3/31/14, Harmony Test 6/5/14 - It's a BOY!

• Loading the player...
  • So... can stress actually mess up your numbers or is the Internet a dirty liar lol?
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • bowlwomanbowlwoman member
    edited September 2014
    kdm06c said:

So... can stress actually mess up your numbers or is the Internet a dirty liar lol?

Oh yes, stress can mess them up. Being sick, constipated, heartburn, not cleaning your hands well enough...

My MFM said some of my high numbers could be because I'm stressed, so I always try to put a note in my log when my numbers are too high. Stuff like "fought with DH this morning right before testing", "had heartburn all afternoon", "didn't realize my burger had too many carbs until after I ate it", "it was my birthday today and I ate a damn cupcake", etc. It helps them determine if it's a dietary issue (in that you messed up your food), it's a temporary stressor, or if your body is becoming more insulin resistant and they need to start or tweak meds.
    BabyFruit Ticker       
    DD1 - 8 years
    DD2 - 6 years

• What do you all do for milk to get calcium for baby's bones? How often and how many ounces?
  • bowlwomanbowlwoman member
    edited September 2014
    One cup of milk is one serving of carbs. As is a cup of yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. And cheese provides calcium without a carb load.

I usually use one of my carb allotments for carby dairy for a meal and then eat cheese at several of the other meals snacks. Also, lots of calcium in leafy greens. It's not hard to get enough calcium.

And, the baby actually gets its calcium from leeching it from your system. The calcium you eat while pregnant is to replace in your own body what the baby is stealing from you.
    BabyFruit Ticker       
    DD1 - 8 years
    DD2 - 6 years

• BdblZBdblZ member
    edited September 2014
    So far yogurt mixed with some nuts for balance has been pretty good for my sugar levels.  Prior to this week I had been drinking lattes 2 or 3 times/week, but haven't really given much thought yet on how to incorporate the sugar content of the milk into everything else - maybe next week i'll give that more thought.  

For any pumpkin spice latte fans, i did find a recipe for making homemade pumpkin spice syrup with splenda, so then its really just the milk-sugar you need to worry about.  If its successful I will definitely share!

ETA: Forgot to mention cheese, glorious, glorious cheese
  • @JKentW‌ I drank almond milk in addition to eating cheese and greek yogurt. It was an acquired taste and still not a huge fan but it allows me to eat my beloved cereal so I sacrifice.

DS 06/2013

DD 12/2014

• Thanks @bowlwoman I made a little note on my log just to let her know. Stupid insurance company. I am so thankful H has a good head on his shoulders and was able to get stuff done and calm me down.

@BdblZ‌ oh yes please share if it's good!
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • bowlwoman said:

One cup of milk is one serving of carbs. As is a cup of yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. And cheese provides calcium without a carb load.

I usually use one of my carb allotments for carby dairy for a meal and then eat cheese at several of the other meals snacks. Also, lots of calcium in leafy greens. It's not hard to get enough calcium.

And, the baby actually gets its calcium from leeching it from your system. The calcium you eat while pregnant is to replace in your own body what the baby is stealing from you.

thank you Bowlwoman. So what type of cheese, and any brand names? Thank you for your response <3
  • @JKentW‌ no real specific brand names, really. We generally have cheddar, Swiss, and mozzarella in the house because that's what we eat. I'll do cheddar with apples for a snack (plus cheese also counts for protein, so win-win), or I'll put Swiss on a ham sandwich. It's personal preference, really.
    BabyFruit Ticker       
    DD1 - 8 years
    DD2 - 6 years

• @ bowlwoman so square of cheese and side of apples? I read that we can't have ham or deli meat. Let me know any other snack suggestions you do and/ or meals. Thank you.
  • @bowlwoman‌ how many carb allotments allowed? Researching and altering diet because I am preparing to fail 1 hour glucose test. Thank you for your help <3
  • nopegoatnopegoat member
    edited September 2014
    bowlwoman said:

@kdm06c‌ @CandaceC1020‌

Here's my diet breakdown:

Breakfast: 15-30g carbs, 1-2oz protein (no fruit before lunch)

Morning Snack: 15g carbs, 1-2oz protein (no fruit before lunch)

Lunch: 45-60g carbs, 3-4oz protein

Afternoon Snack: 30g carbs, 2oz protein

Dinner: 45-60g carbs, 3-4oz protein

Bedtime Snack (eat within an hour of bedtime): 30g carbs, 2oz protein

Carbs I have to count toward my allotment:
    all grains
    all fruit
    corn, potatoes, sweet potatoes, beans, peas, carrots and beets over 1/2 cup
    milk, yogurt, ice cream, cottage/ricotta cheese
    all sweeteners (honey, agave, sugar, maple syrup)

@JKentW‌ I am new at this too and asked the same question the other day. Here was her response. This stuff is so confusing at first. It's only been a couple days, but it's already gotten so much easier thanks to @bowlwoman.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • @erien - which Greek yogurt? I tried the almond milk in a small amount...due to allergies and after had trouble swallowing so unsure what I am allergic to. I have slight allergy to peanuts. What are the stats on your Greek yogurt
  • JKentW said:

@ bowlwoman so square of cheese and side of apples? I read that we can't have ham or deli meat. Let me know any other snack suggestions you do and/ or meals. Thank you.

You actually can have ham and deli meat, you just need to heat it until steaming first. All of my breakfasts include some sort of deli ham. If I don't make a veggie hash with ham, then I usually just microwave 3-4 slices of deli ham for 45 seconds. It's enough to get the ham hit enough to kill any listeria bacteria but not significantly alter the texture.

And thanks, @kdm06c‌ for the shoutout. I just know this stuff forwards and backwards since I've been doing it so much already. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker       
    DD1 - 8 years
    DD2 - 6 years

• @kdm06c‌ - thank you. So, what did you eat yesterday: breakfast, snack, lunch etc.
  • @JKentW‌ last pregnancy I ate vanilla greek yogurt (any brand) with fresh fruit mixed in. Bananas and oranges were my favorite. It was the only way in could handle the texture and flavor of the yogurt. But any fruit flavored greek yogurt is going to have a good balance of carbs and protein for a snack.

DS 06/2013

DD 12/2014

• Thank you all for your help. Just trying to get a head start. <3
    edited September 2014
    @JKentW‌ I am only on day 3 of doing this and haven't met with a nutritionist yet, so I am not the best person to ask, but so far my numbers have been ok. GD vets please critique me and tell me if I'm doing it all wrong!

Bfast- I had an over easy egg over 1 cup of mixed greens (deep greens blend) and a slice of cheddar cheese. I also had 1 cup of coffee with a tbs of sugar free creamer. I NEED my coffee. I was craving sweet, so I added one slice of watermelon.

Snack- 1 mozz. Cheese stick and 1oz of pistachios. (I suck with snacks so bare with me).

Lunch- 1/3 cup of brown rice, 1c of stir fry veggies, and 3oz of boneless skinless chicken breast.

Snack- 1 cup of whole milk (again I suck at snacks and finally went to the store and stocked up on some better snack options)

Dinner- chicken wrap that consisted of 1 6in tortilla, 1c of mixed greens, 1 slice of tomato, 1/4c shredded mozz. cheese, 3oz of boneless skinless chicken breast, and 1 tbs of zesty Italian dressing. Whatever didn't fit in the wrap I ate on the side. I also added 1/2 c of fat free small curd cottage cheese.

Snack- craving sweets so I had 1/2c of applesauce with cinnamon sprinkled on it.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Having a bad day. My numbers have been good, but was informed that I am eating too clean and not getting enough proteins/fats. I am already struggling eating 3 meals and 3 snacks a day and spacing them all out. I normally just eat 2 bigger meals and maybe 2 snacks a day. I'm going to add more cheese, nuts, hummus, ect but just feeling like I can't win today lol.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • @kdm06c‌ After reading your food log from the other day, I was hungry! I'd have to eat much more than that to be satisfied. Just larger portion sizes. Like two eggs instead of one and add protein to the evening snack. Snacks also need to include carbs (not just cheese and nuts). Be careful not to eliminate carbs. The diet is all about moderation and spacing them evenly throughout the day. The reason I dont like diabetic cookbooks is because they also stress heart healthy. But we are pregnant and supporting another life. We need fat!

You'll get the hand of the diet. Some days it's going to feel like a lot of food, especially as the baby grows bigger and the stomach gets smaller. On those days, I still eat 6 times a day just smaller portion sizes. That is also when a glass of milk becomes a snack - good carbs and protein without being too filling.

Were you eating more prior to your gd diagnosis?

DS 06/2013

DD 12/2014

edited September 2014
    @erien‌ before I was eating 2 meals and 2 snacks a day. I am not a breakfast person at all and normally just skip it. But those meals were definitely bigger portions with lots of carbs. We eat a lot of rice, pasta, and breads, about the same portions of veggies and meat as the GD diet. I usually had a pretty healthy but carby snack between lunch and dinner and then would really indulge in sweets and crap at night.

I think another reason I'm having problems is because of the spacing of meals and snacks. Between my boys, H's work irregular work hours, and just life I have always been horrible at keeping a schedule. The only thing that is truly consistent around here is my boys' bedtime.

Yesterday and today I have been adding more to my snacks. Whole grain rice crackers with cottage cheese, and pistachios. So I am trying lol. I just feel like a Hobbit lately. Between my boys and I, I feel like all I do is cook and eat.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • @kdm06c‌ I love second breakfast! :-)

DS 06/2013

DD 12/2014

• Can I just say thank god for Edy's Slow Churn, No Sugar Added. :x

BabyFruit Ticker TTC since 11/2011 Me: Hypothyroid & PCOS DH: 0% morphology IVF #1 - transfer on 4/2/14 BFP 4/11/14 beta 161 EDD: 12/19/14 It's a GIRL! AnaSophia (Sophie; Soph the Loaf) Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Elevensies are my favorite.
    BabyFruit Ticker       
    DD1 - 8 years
    DD2 - 6 years

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"