Special Needs

Got.the.script.

I. hope. it. helps.  Intuniv, non-stimulant, long lasting.  This is supposed to target his hyperactivity and as a result, hopefully dilute some of those other issues. Also was involved in an emergency child study meeting with about 6 people.  Overall, I think it went very well.  DS's teacher is going to rename her "sad book" to something with a better connotation (yay!).  

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

Re: Got.the.script.

• Thanks Auntie for the info!  We live in a warm climate area so no big fears of being snowed in with no access to meds.  I understand that Intuniv is a milder medicine, which I think is a safe approach when trialing out something on a 6 year old.  I'm still being hopeful that it helps! :-)  

• Hope it helps!
  • Loading the player...
  • Bubba2b, I agree.   I do think the sad book fuels negative hyperactivity (aggression).

• ITA with bubba and Auntie about the sad book. If the incident you described the other day where your DS was trying to pick up the book with his feet is typical of this teacher, I would imagine that your DS feels like he's playing a game where he doesn't know the rules. Is anyone working with her to educate her on your son's diagnoses? Who was at the CST meeting you had the other day?
  • I say we steal the sad book and burn it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ITA with bubba and Auntie about the sad book. If the incident you described the other day where your DS was trying to pick up the book with his feet is typical of this teacher, I would imagine that your DS feels like he's playing a game where he doesn't know the rules. Is anyone working with her to educate her on your son's diagnoses? Who was at the CST meeting you had the other day?
    Yes, someone is working with her in regards to educating her about both of his diagnoses.  She even started sending home a daily chart of areas he did well in and areas where he struggled in (behaviorally speaking---his academics are high).  This chart gives me daily feedback where I can specifically reinforce his positive behavior.  

During the child study meeting, the following people were there; principal, asst. principal, school psychologist, social worker, teacher, and school counselor.

• KL777 said:
    ITA with bubba and Auntie about the sad book. If the incident you described the other day where your DS was trying to pick up the book with his feet is typical of this teacher, I would imagine that your DS feels like he's playing a game where he doesn't know the rules. Is anyone working with her to educate her on your son's diagnoses? Who was at the CST meeting you had the other day?
    Yes, someone is working with her in regards to educating her about both of his diagnoses.  She even started sending home a daily chart of areas he did well in and areas where he struggled in (behaviorally speaking---his academics are high).  This chart gives me daily feedback where I can specifically reinforce his positive behavior.  

During the child study meeting, the following people were there; principal, asst. principal, school psychologist, social worker, teacher, and school counselor.
    I hope it helps. I'm glad the school psychologist was there. When DH was a kid he had a teacher who would send kids to the "shame corner" when they misbehaved (I kid you not, that's what it was called). The "sad book" reminds me of that :(
  • AA0417 said:

Good luck with the med trial.
    Thanks!  I think it is helping.  I know it's only been two days and it's supposed to take up to a week to see results.  DS still seems like himself but more "normal" in range in regards  to his hyperactivity level.  The daily chart from his teacher still shows that he needs to pay attention more (needs to be redirected somewhat often), but he hasn't shown any aggressive behavior this week.  

He also completed his homework in after school care, where usually he needs me or DH hovering right over him to keep him on task and from having a meltdown from any difficulty. Maybe because he knew he had a soccer game that night and I told him he needed to complete it in after school care---with my day before guidance, I  meticulously went over exactly what he needed to do for his homework, with post it notes identifiers and pre-drawn lines for where he needed to write.  I reviewed it twice with him.  He did a great job with his homework on his own and he rocked in soccer that night.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"