Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Feeling helpless

DS is 4.5 mos old and has had congestion/sniffles/coughs since 8/28. DH took him in to see the Doctor on 9/8/14 since he had a fever of about 102. The Doctor said that DS was fine, ruled out enterovirus or RSV, that it was just a cold and that it had to run its course. He is also teething and his 2 bottom teeth have broken through.

Today, he is still congested and is coughing in 3s or 4s maybe every 30min - 1 hr. It's been hard to get the mucus out with the nose frida. If we are able to it is a yellow colored mucus.  However, his rectal temperature is normal at 99.8

We've tried steam showers, humidifier, Maty's natural rub on the soles of his fee, sleeping at a small incline. He had a head cold when he was 2 mos old (lasted 10 days), then bronchiolitis at 3 mos old (lasted about 2 weeks).

My concern is that it doesn't seem normal to last this long for congestion/coughs. I've heard 10-14 days, but this is longer than that. DH is annoyed that I want to make another dr. appointment, saying that they are just going to say the same thing that he is fine and just have to wait it out.

DS is also a Daycare baby 3 days a week. He just started Daycare 8/26. But since then, I or DH have had to take a day off from work due to his fever. So really, he has only been in Daycare 2 days a week so far.

Has anyone experienced something similar to this? I just feel so bad that every month its something and DS little body is still developing.

Re: Feeling helpless

• Options
    Haven't had any experience but just wanted to say I hope LO feels better soon! Sorry you guys are going through this.
  • Options
    Haven't had any experience but just wanted to say I hope LO feels better soon! Sorry you guys are going through this.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Sometimes an ongoing cough and congestion can signify an allergy to cows milk (milk based formulas). I would make another dr. app. If it is something more serious you would never regret being the "over concerned mom." And if they say he is fine then at least you have peace of mind! Hopefully LO is soon feeling better!

• Options
    I've had a similar experience. My baby is 4 months and he has had a cough/congestion on and off for about the last month. In late July he had an ear infection that caused him to have a high fever otherwise his temp has been normal. We've tried the steam showers and humidifier as well and he's still coughing. We were suggested by our doctor to get a Q-Tip wet with warm water and run it up his nose to help clear up some of his congestion and that has helped.  Another thing that has helped with the congestion is patting and rubbing his back. Have him over your shoulder like you'd burp him and pat his back all over or rub your hand all over his backs. My husband and I'll do this when we walk or if he gets fussy. The warmth from the friction can help break up some of the congestion. 

I wanted to say I can really sympathize with you! It's hard to watch your baby cough and not be able to help him. Especially when it's your first. I've felt pretty helpless too when he's coughing and you can't do anything to help but hold him and love him. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"