TTC after 35

The View From the Other Side (NTTGP related)

As I was explaining my classroom discipline procedures, DH made a comment that got me thinking and I would like honest opinions from non educators/parents/future parents and such.  Every day my elementary school kids get a green,yellow, or red stamp depending on the day they had.  Each night, the parents have to initial/sign that they are aware of the behavior.  If it is not signed, the students can't go to the treasure chest the next week. 

DH "the parents have to sign even if the student didn't get in trouble?"  Me "Yes, the students need to learn responsibility/organization through routines and I need to know that the parents are aware of all types of behavior."  DH said it wasn't right because I am punishing the child who had good behavior if the parent forgets and he (DH) would refuse to sign it on principle alone.

For over 12 years this has been used in all the schools I taught in and I never gave it a single thought.  I even remember having to have my parents sign my practice card for orchestra when I was elementary school or I got in trouble.  My question, do you agree with DH?  Are we punishing children for the parents mistake?  What say you? 
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Me 36 DH 39

DD 3/29/12
                  BFP 6/4/14 ~ MMC 7/7/14 ~ D&C 7/15/14            
BFP 11/28/14 ~ MMC  12/29/14    

TTCAL Siggy Challenge

Re: The View From the Other Side (NTTGP related)

• I see both your points. It's good that you want to make the kids more responsible but as a mom I have forgotten to sign my sons agenda several times. It's not his fault that I forgot but I agree with you on the parents being aware of behavior.
    Maybe you can only take away privileges if a red or yellow stamp isn't signed. Also are you letting the parents know what got them the warning stamp. You can't expect the children to always relay what they did wrong. My sons teachers always used similar behavior ranks but it stayed within the class useless you were in the red for the entire week. Then you got a note home. If the kids were green all week they got a reward.

Not sure if my ramble makes sense or not but I just want to say parents forget.

Me:39, DH:40

DD born 8/96, DS born 8/04

TTC#3

NTNP since 2006, active trying 1/13

Natural M/C 3/13 at 7 weeks

CP 2/14

imageimage

All welcome

• edited September 2014
    That's a tough one. On the one hand, you shouldn't be "punished" for someone else's lack of action (mom/dad not signing), but it does teach responsibility and follow through. Do you have a lot of kids who get green stamps but fail to get signatures?

ETA: could there maybe be a separate reward for say 5 days of green stamps regardless of parental sign off?
    TTCAL January Siggy Challenge: Animals in the Snow

About Me: 

AMA 35 :  DH 33
    BFP#1 1/26/14 (EDD: 10/7/14).  MMC 3/10/14 D&C 3/14/14
    RE Consult 11/3/14 - AMH 2.25 "great" . FSH 7.10 . Low Vitamin D
    Myomectomy 12/17/14.  Benched until March.

My Ovulation Chart
  • Loading the player...
  • Well-- if the children have lousey parents, and they are a great student, the student still loses when the parent doesn't sign. 
    Here is what I think needs to happen:

The parent only signs when the student gets a red mark. When a child gets a red mark, just email the parent directly and let them know. Also place an explanation sheet in the backpack attached to the red mark explaining what the child did (maybe in the homework folder area). That way-- if the child tries to throw it away, the parent still gets an email.

If they get a yellow mark, just write on the yellow mark card what they did. "Not listening, etc"
  • Thanks for the responses.

@hooligans4 @lgsdesigner The parents do know exactly what their child gets on red for and that it needs to be signed everyday.  The yellow is more of a warning to the student and that stays in class.  Parents only see red or green stamps.  They do get to go to prize box for being on green all week with parent signatures.  Unfortunately, in our district we only have 45 minute prep in the morning, so emails can't be sent out until after school or after I get home.  For this reason, I try to use email for continuously disruptive behavior or when a child is continuously on yellow.  The problem of the past, is if the child doesn't have to get good behavior signed, they never get the bad behavior signed and the parents never know to look for it because it is not part of a routine.  Does that make sense?

@meredithnicole No it is not really a problem.  A few times the parents will forget, but we also stress to the students that it is their responsibility to remind their parents as their parents also work, have siblings to take care of, etc.  If a parent is going out of town I allow the person watching them sign be it grandparent, nanny, aunt/uncle, older sibling and such.  This year I have one student who never has it signed, but that is more the parents fault/home situation.  For them, I try to find other reasons for them to go to prize box. 

DH's comment just had me thinking.  A lot of time being an educator and a parent, I wouldn't bat an eye to this stuff as I have my students' parents do the same thing.  Sometimes another perspective is needed.

Me 36 DH 39

DD 3/29/12

TTCAL Siggy Challenge

• Is there an opportunity to catch up on unsigned marks. eg. Mum forgot last night, I'll get her to sign both of them tonight?
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Kids are always going to have to pay for their parents mistakes, it's a life lesson, right?

Our kids have a behavior chart and the teacher will randomly send a report home whether it is good or bad so we know how they're doing. Or if there's an issue that needs to be discussed they contact us.  I think that maybe having them get a signature once in a while is a good way of making sure the kids know that their parents are aware of their behavior - and confirming for you that the parents are aware.  But not having the daily report lets us talk about all aspects of their day, not just their behavior. 

*Siggy Warning*

About me  2007: Started TTC. 2008: OB prescribed clomid, went to RE and was Dx with PCOS. 2009: IUI #1 w/follitsim and trigger = BFP. B/G Twins born at 33 weeks. 2012: TTC #3, Round 2 of Letrozole w/TI = BFP, missed m/c at 8 1/2 wks. Currently on the bench as we make plans for a new home. Anxious to start TTC #3 within the next year!

• @KateLouise No, but if the parents miss, both nights end up signed the next day.

@Bearfootz Being able to discuss something other than behavior is an interesting way of looking at it.  Does the chart come home daily, or just every now and then?  Do you know when to check for it?

Me 36 DH 39

DD 3/29/12

TTCAL Siggy Challenge

• I used to teach also and my students had to get a signature weekly in a Friday folder. I think it depends on the age- I feel second and up can handle the responsibility. I also think they're getting a reward so it's not really a punishment if they don't receive something. They just don't get a bonus. I think you also need this documentation for accountability- if the parent comes at you at conferences for not knowing about behavior issues you can show your system and how they are not following through on their end. I think it's great if they have additional opportunity to get a prize for other reasons- acts of kindness, helping- above and beyond stuff so they feel their efforts are recognized somehow. There are always those parents who will not follow through so going a different route can work.
  • Did I seriously start every sentence with 'I think'? Sorry. It was a long day!
  • Personally, I am not a fan of the daily red/yellow/green thing.  While I understand that making the kids get their parents to sign can teach them some degree of responsibility, I believe there are many other ways to do this that are more useful and productive - good old fashioned daily homework assignments certainly did the trick back when we were all in school.  I also fear that having the parents sign it every day may make it less meaningful - I can picture some parents thinking, "Oh, this thing again?" and just signing without even really looking at it or talking it over with their child.  

I also definitely agree with @Bearfootz  that there is so much more to what goes on in a school day than how a child's behavior ranks, and making red/yellow/green the primary daily take-home message paints an incomplete picture of how the child is doing.  I have seen friends' children get so disheartened by being put "on yellow,"  and not really understanding why.  Overall, I feel like exceptional behavior (positive or negative) should be communicated with the parents as necessary, but not on a daily, routine basis.  

*And I am now stepping down off my soapbox*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @kinderschlitz I agree and that is the viewpoint of most teachers.  I was curious as to what others thought or how they really felt about it with their kids.  I think a lot of parents hold back their real opinions from their child's teacher(s) for fear of alienating them in regards to their own kids.  In this instance their is no connection to their child whatsoever and hopefully they are more likely to be honest.

I'm always open to new ideas and ways to make things better for students and parents.  Texas is one state out of 50 and as I have not taught in any other state, it's good to see what works in other parts of the country.

@ewenner Feel free to step on the soap box at anytime.  I have younger ones, and when they go to yellow or red, they know why and usually one time is all it takes.  I always thought the parents liked knowing how their child did each day, but maybe they really don't or are so used to it from previous years that it just seems to be the norm.  It gives me something to think about for the next school year.

Me 36 DH 39

DD 3/29/12

TTCAL Siggy Challenge

• The behavior chart comes home randomly twice a week. I'm not even sure that we have to sign it - but I have kindergarteners so maybe it's a bit much for them to keep track of that.

*Siggy Warning*

About me  2007: Started TTC. 2008: OB prescribed clomid, went to RE and was Dx with PCOS. 2009: IUI #1 w/follitsim and trigger = BFP. B/G Twins born at 33 weeks. 2012: TTC #3, Round 2 of Letrozole w/TI = BFP, missed m/c at 8 1/2 wks. Currently on the bench as we make plans for a new home. Anxious to start TTC #3 within the next year!

• As a parent, I wouldn't have a problem with this.  I agree that it's a pretty painless way to encourage responsibility and accountability for the kids, and I don't think it's too onerous for the parents. 
    *****Signature/Ticker Warning******

Me: 41, DH: 45
    DD, 6/15/2013
    TTC #2 beginning January 2014
    AMH 1.05; FSH range 7-11

July 2014: IUI #1.  Follistim + Pregnyl.  2 follicles--BFN
    September 2014: IUI #2.  Follistim + Pregnyl + Ganirelix + Crinone.  4(?) follicles--BFN
    October 2014: IUI #3.  More Follistim + More Ganirelix + Pregnyl + Crinone.  4 follicles--BFP!  Beta #1=10 Beta #2=33 Beta #3=97 Beta #4=158.  M/C 11/1/14
    December 2014: IVF #1.  Microdose Lupron protocol.  9R, 9M, 9F.  3 5-day blasts transferred 12/15. BFFN.
    April 2015: IVF #2.  Microdose Lupron protocol.  16R, 15M, 12F. Transferred 2 5-day blasts 4/12 and froze 4--BFP!  M/C 5/25/15
    August 2015: IVF #3.  14R, 13M, 11F.  Froze 5 blasts for CCS testing.  3 normals.  FET planned for 10/2015.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My Ovulation Chart

• Being in the workforce, this is an excellent opportunity to teach kids to "manage up".  As a parent I'd rather do this once a week... unless my child is red.  But if I had to do this once a week and found out my child had a red earlier and they didn't give it to me/ discuss it with me there would be a discussion... 

I've also seen parents thought that are not as cooperative with the school system so I don't think it is fair to the child if the parent decides to "make a point" by not signing.  I think I'd manage those on a case by case basis.  
    me:41   dh:43 
    Off Mirena Nov 2013, On Nuvaring end of Jan, Back off Sept 2014.  Never ending cycle starting end of Sept... 
    11/14 Provera failed... cycle continues 
    12/14 High FSH (57 "midcycle")  OBGYN had no clue... about anything 
    01/15 More lab results coming back from RE. U/S showed small (1")cyst on left ovary, thin lining, and couldn't locate right ovary so  possibly straight to DE and IVF 

Occassionally mess with the chart below to see "what if" and learn (not to make it pretty but because FF stays drunk with me).  

My Ovulation Chart
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"