2nd Trimester

Any overnight RN's out there?

Such a challenge working nights and being preggers. Because of my shifts I find it hard to sleep at night and stay awake during the day. How do you stay energized?

Re: Any overnight RN's out there?

• I am no an RN, but a pharmacy technician in a 400 bed hospital, and I am the ONLY tech all night. I also have 3 kids at home. I work 7 straight 10 hour midnights in a row. I sleep 4 hours when I get home. I am a zombie. When I do get tired at work, I take a walk around a floor, or walk up a few flights of stairs. I'm usually constantly moving, so when I sit is when I feel most tired. I also pack fruit to bring with me. I eat a piece of fruit every 2 hours and I also drink a coffee on my way into work. When I am off, I have no problem going to bed at 830 when my kids do lol! During the day, I hit my wall around 3 p.m., that is when I exercise. I get on my treadmill or go for a walk outside since it is nice out for at least 30 mins, although you can def do less. Also, coffee is my life saver! I drink a cup when I am off as I make dinner!

BabyFetus Ticker

• imsohappy077imsohappy077 member
    edited September 2014
    Wow! 7 10 hr shifts? When do you have time off? Thy are going to be kicking themselves once you are on leave. Why not have more than one tech?
  • Loading the player...
  • Not overnight but I'm about to pick-up a part-time evening position at a facility. It is 8 hour shifts. I have a day job otherwise.
  • Oh wow.. good luck with everything.
  • Should be okay, it will be a lot of admission assessments but lots of future potential (the facility is new and is off to a slow start due to staffing).
  • I see. But it'll be better for your family life I'm sure.
  • minirellaminirella member
    edited September 2014
    In the beginning it'll be a little rough but I'm excited about a new opportunity...I'm still keeping my day job but will just reduce my time & effort (I'm salary). I figure I'll get my foot in the door at this new facility which will give us greater flexibility after the twins are born. The DON is putting salary and schedules in pretty little packages to attract nurses and it was hard to say no (especially with him not caring one bit about me being pregnant).
    edited September 2014
    Oh man! Managers can be really hard on pregnant women. Just look at the positives with this new opp. And I wish you the best.

So you are having twins? How exciting! When are you due?
  • Thanks, if all goes smoothly they will be here around Christmas. What about you? Are you going to continue on nights after you have the baby or try and switch to a day position? Either way, I give you mad props. I use to work in law enforcement and did the 7p-7a for years and it is tough.
  • Night shift RN here ! I do 12 hour shifts full time .Worked nights for years and don't usually have any issues . Now that I'm preggo it's been very draining. Hoping I can work for as long as possible .
    edited September 2014
    minirella said:

Thanks, if all goes smoothly they will be here around Christmas. What about you? Are you going to continue on nights after you have the baby or try and switch to a day position? Either way, I give you mad props. I use to work in law enforcement and did the 7p-7a for years and it is tough.

congrats! Hope all goes well. I will continue doing the night shift. It has it's perks i.e less meds, more time to read charts. I'm just always tired on my days off.. but I'll get adjusted somehow.

Oh and I'm do late Jan.
  • Vkiefert said:

Night shift RN here ! I do 12 hour shifts full time .Worked nights for years and don't usually have any issues . Now that I'm preggo it's been very draining. Hoping I can work for as long as possible .

Yea I know what you mean. How are you maintaining with the pregnancy?
  • congrats to you too. Hope you can figure out something. You don't have too much longer.
  • Wow! 7 10 hr shifts? When do you have time off? Thy are going to be kicking themselves once you are on leave. Why not have more than one tech?
    I get 7 days off in a row immediately following, so essentially I work 2 weeks a month but it's full time. I have no idea why there is only one tech! There is also only one pharmacist, and this hospital is busy! Usually (this is my third pregnancy here) they have someone with me the last month before I deliver to help me or just to be here in case I go into labor. I actually am looking into days after this baby, but I don't think i'll like the whole work 5 days, be off 2 with my babies! Sacrifices right? lol
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I am doing well so far . I have round ligament pain that kicks my butt most nights . I notice more aches and pains if I stand for long periods ( attending deliveries in the OR and admitting sick babies ) .I m a NICU nurse. Thankfully my patients are not heavy so handling them is not a issue . I eat well and take naps on my days off . To help with my nighttime grogginess I try to nap prior to my shift when I can .
  • vpeazy said:

Wow! 7 10 hr shifts? When do you have time off? Thy are going to be kicking themselves once you are on leave. Why not have more than one tech?

I get 7 days off in a row immediately following, so essentially I work 2 weeks a month but it's full time. I have no idea why there is only one tech! There is also only one pharmacist, and this hospital is busy! Usually (this is my third pregnancy here) they have someone with me the last month before I deliver to help me or just to be here in case I go into labor. I actually am looking into days after this baby, but I don't think i'll like the whole work 5 days, be off 2 with my babies! Sacrifices right? lol

Well I do like the perks of having more time off the working. But a busy hospital with one tech and one pharmacist! I think that ratio is unfair. Where are you located if you don't mind me asking?
  • Vkiefert said:

I am doing well so far . I have round ligament pain that kicks my butt most nights . I notice more aches and pains if I stand for long periods ( attending deliveries in the OR and admitting sick babies ) .I m a NICU nurse. Thankfully my patients are not heavy so handling them is not a issue . I eat well and take naps on my days off . To help with my nighttime grogginess I try to nap prior to my shift when I can .

I hear you on the pain. My back was killing me all last night. Ah NICU.. is that tough emotionally?
  • It can be tough but it's really rewarding to see the progress of our little patients. I love what I do .
  • And that is the best feeling.. loving what you do. I'm a nurse on the oncology floor. It can be hard at times but also rewarding.
  • I'm an RN in an eating disorders recovery unit (12 hour rotating shifts) and the main problems I'm having are SI joint pain and my legs swelling (even with compression hose on). I think I'm going to break down and buy a maternity support belt.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"