Multiples

Switching to convertible car seats

My twins are about 7 1/2 months and my son is getting rather heavy lugging him around in the car seat along with my daughter (he is a bigger than his sister).
I am starting to look at convertible car seats but not sure when we should transition them into them.
Also when we do switch them over, I kind of am freaking out how I am going to get them both out of the car at daycare by myself.
Does anyone have any advise?
I suppose it will take some learning on all of our ends and hopefully the twins don't get frustrated with me trying to figure it out.

Also any seat recommendations?

Thanks
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP#1 • 11/15/12 ectopic-too early to have EDD • MTX 11/30/12
BFP#2 • 6/30/13 EDD 3/9/14...TWINS!! Baby A (BOY)-167 HB • Baby B (GIRL)-174 HB
January 31, 2014 • Dominic Jayden 4lbs. 8oz.Ciara Aliyah 3lbs. 11oz. at 34w5d

Re: Switching to convertible car seats

• Following.  My 5 month twinkies are almost 18 lbs and 13 lbs.  My son is getting soooo heavy!
    m/c my Angel Baby in 2000
    IUIs with clomid from 2009-2011   Feb 2011 - Tubal surgery (repair)  Jan 2012 - Tubal surgery (remove)  
    8/13 IVF#1.  Lupron/Follistim protocol - b/g twins born April 1 at 34 +1.  Luckiest woman in the world.
    8/15 FET #1 - transferred 1 thawed embryo - Pregnant with Baby C, it's a girl!  Due April 2016. Pregnancy Ticker  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD.  Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans for hope and a future"   Jer 29:11
    "All things work together for good to them that love God, who are the called according to His purpose"  Rom 8:28
    "I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of salvation unto all who believe"  Rom 1:16
  • Also following! I had preemies (born at 3lbs each) and my 5 month babes are already 15lbs and nearly 13lbs. I can't imagine carrying the bucket seats for too much longer.

My idea was waiting til they can sit independently - it's a work in progress - and then have one sit on the floor of the car while I unbuckle the other than pick them up that way. 

No idea if this'll actually work so here's hoping to others suggestions.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I switched at 11 months. We got the graco my ride 65, the girls are much more comfortable in them. Getting them in and out of the car is not as bad as I thought it would be. I did get a cheap double umbrella stroller for quick trips to make things easier.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Mine are 14mo and we are switching this weekend. They're 21-23lbs each but they've got to be close to the height limit on their buckets.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the logistics of getting them both from the house to the car, w a bag and locking the door (our garage isn't attached to the house and we park in the driveway). It may have to happen in 2 trips.

Anyway, we use Diono radians bc we have a big one so we need 3 across. He's 4.5 so we have a harnessed booster for him.

• Our plan is to use a basic umbrella stroller to get to and from our building to the garage, so one will be sitting in the stroller while I'm putting the other one in and out of the car seat.
    image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
    The Science Babies debuted 5/6/14 @ 34 weeks
  • We have 4 Diono Radian convertible carseats in our Odyssey.  They are narrow and I can fit three across (FF) in the third row.  As for getting the younger set in and out of the car for MMO, I have to use a double stroller.  It's a pain and it adds a few minutes to my routine, but it's the only way for me to safely get both in and out of the car for drop off and pick up. 
    m/c: Oct 2008
    m/c: Jan 2010
    dx: uterine lining issues
    IUI #1 BFP! Twins! A & E born Mar 2011 (37w1d)
    Then became pregnant with spontaneous twins! Twins again! MK & H born Mar 2013 (37w2d)  

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • How much do your twins weigh?  How tall are they?  What vehicle are the seats going in?  Who else travels in that vehicle?  What is your budget per seat? I am a car seat tech and can help you select seats.

As for getting to the car either I leave one inside and carry one to the car and come back for the second twin or if that wasnt an option depending on where I was, I wore one on my back in a buckle carrier and carried one in my arms.  I strapped her in, took the other one off my back and strapped her in.  I did the same in reverse to carry them in.

We welcomed our girls on 11.7.12 @ 40w0d!
    Emerson Lily 6 lbs 13 oz & Ellis Willow 6 lbs 9 oz

• Mine are 14mo and we are switching this weekend. They're 21-23lbs each but they've got to be close to the height limit on their buckets. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the logistics of getting them both from the house to the car, w a bag and locking the door (our garage isn't attached to the house and we park in the driveway). It may have to happen in 2 trips. Anyway, we use Diono radians bc we have a big one so we need 3 across. He's 4.5 so we have a harnessed booster for him.
    We park in the driveway and I have to do two trips its not too bad. If Im by myself i get everything ready by the door, remote start the car so its nice and cool. Then I run one girl into the car as fast as I can while the other is in the gated off room. I run back with my other daughter pick up the bag on the way lock the door and we are off.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We switched at one year. We use the double umbrella stroller as well to get in and out of classes, storytime, etc. I often just hold them both though and set one on the car floor in front of me while I buckle the first one in, then go and put the other one in.
    Two sets of fraternal twins, 23 mos. apart First set born 12/27/12 at 35w0d via IVF Second set born 11/18/14 at 35w6d via FET
  • We still have the buckets but the boys are too heavy to carry in them so we just leave them in the car and carry the boys.  I usually make 2 trips.  If I am out, I always have the stroller.  It takes a while but everything does with twins.

We are going to switch over to our Radian Dionos but have just been lazy about it.

D & L are here at 34 weeks 4 days by vaginal and breech delivery on 11/19/2013
    Two healthy boys weighing 4 lbs 15 ozs and 4 lbs 5 ozs.  Only 6 days in the NICU and getting bigger, stronger and cuter every day! 
  • We are still in the infant car seats but I've been thinking about when to switch them over. They are still only about 18 lbs at 9.5 months so they still fit but are getting heavy to carry two. I have started leaving the seats in the car and making two trips. I carry one baby out while the other is in his jumper and start the car and buckle him. Then run in and grab the other baby and my things and lock the door. Our garage isn't attached either. It seems to work pretty well so far! When we are out and about I always use my double stroller. Thinking about getting a double umbrella stroller as others have mentioned! I will probably switch my boys over around a year! I'm looking into the graco convertible 65!

BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I switched around 9 months. We use the Nextfits and LOVE them. To get in and out of daycare I usually put one in the frame backpack. I carry the other baby and the daycare bag. Most other places I take the double stroller.
  • The umbrella stroller is a great idea, didn't really think about that.
    Mine weigh 18.5 and 14.5 right now at almost 8 months. I have a small car, VW golf so setting them on the floor is not an option. The back seat is quite small so I will have to do my research to see what seats will work although we will hopefully be getting a small SUV in the beginning of the new year.

Thank you for all of your help, makes me feel better about it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP#1 • 11/15/12 ectopic-too early to have EDD • MTX 11/30/12
    BFP#2 • 6/30/13 EDD 3/9/14...TWINS!! Baby A (BOY)-167 HB • Baby B (GIRL)-174 HB
    January 31, 2014 • Dominic Jayden 4lbs. 8oz.Ciara Aliyah 3lbs. 11oz. at 34w5d
  • we dont have a good place to use the stroller at home so I used a carrier (ergo or similar).  Usually just put one on my front and carried the other on my hip, very easy.  once they were a bit older I could also carry one on each arm.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"